• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Wine Thread

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by james_timothy
fistbump.gif

Party at my house. In twenty years.

I'm holding you to this.

james_timothy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You can cook. It'll be great.

What I'm actually drinking, though, and the reason I was at the wine shop in the first place is
2008 Château St Martin de la Garrigue Bronzinelle. From the Coteaux du Languedoc, so it's cheap.

I'm just loving it- like a Bordeaux that grew up in the wild scrublands, a little racy, a little dusty.
It works well with our Ameri-Chinese home cooking. It's been getting better and better over the last year.

So I'm exploring the whole of the South of France, gotta be in sight of the Mediterranean, wine thing.
That dusty, racy, sun-baked taste is so interesting, so wild.

tattersall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You can cook. It'll be great.

What I'm actually drinking, though, and the reason I was at the wine shop in the first place is
2008 Château St Martin de la Garrigue Bronzinelle. From the Coteaux du Languedoc, so it's cheap.

I'm just loving it- like a Bordeaux that grew up in the wild scrublands, a little racy, a little dusty.
It works well with our Ameri-Chinese home cooking. It's been getting better and better over the last year.

So I'm exploring the whole of the South of France, gotta be in sight of the Mediterranean, wine thing.
That dusty, racy, sun-baked taste is so interesting, so wild.

That bronzinelle is nice, I've had it a few times and been pleased. Domaine Fontsainte is another longuedocian (actually in the aoc of Corbières) wine worth checking out, both the red (especially the 'demoiselle' bottling) and the gris-de-gris rosÃ
00a9.png
. Much better wines than their price suggests. Make your way east and find a Bandol, and you'll get the truest sense of the south...

james_timothy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Domaine Fontsainte isn't one I've seen around here. I'll look.

Bandol, now, that is different. My first approach, Bastide Blanche 2007, was a disaster:

"This was just too young. On day one, I thought the wine had nothing for me. On day two, I could taste the youth. On day three, the youth was appealing. On day four, I could taste the underlying blueberry fruit, sense the beauty that the wine will become, years down the road." Admittedly, that was last summer.

I'm not sure how to approach it again- cool it to almost as cold as a white wine? Give it a herioc, Cahorian, 10 hour decant? Or just bite the bullet and let it sit for a couple of years?

tattersall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They are certainly exuberant wines - I've not had the Bastide Blanche but have greatly enjoyed Tempier, Terrebrune and Gros'NorÃ
00a9.png
. I've had Tardieu-Laurent's bandol and did not care for it.

I drink them a little cooler than I would a bordeaux but that's also because we mostly have them in the summertime. Sometimes we decant, but this is a wine that need not be handled with kid-gloves. As far as age goes, I follow Richard Olney's advice - bandol is best drunk young, old and in-between...

james_timothy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tattersall
As far as age goes, I follow Richard Olney's advice - bandol is best drunk young, old and in-between...
He's invited, in spirit, to the party. I loved reading Inspiring Thirst.... ps: "this is a wine that need not be handled with kid-gloves"... beat it with a stick, then. I'll give that a try.

Raoul Duke

Reaction score
Had a 1989 Château de Beaucastel Châteauneuf-du-Pape the other night. Has anyone else had the pleasure of consuming this wine?

james_timothy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ A 22 year old southern rhone? No, that's not in my experience base. It has lots of love on cellar tracker. What was it like?

tattersall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
He's invited, in spirit, to the party.

I loved reading Inspiring Thirst....

ps: "this is a wine that need not be handled with kid-gloves"... beat it with a stick, then. I'll give that a try.

When you mentioned the Ducru deal, I thought of a passage in Olney's excellent autobiography of his buying '47 Ducru by the case in the early fifties for the equivalent of $1.80 per bottle.

Your southern wine buying inspired me - we're drinking $13 Picpoul de Pinet tonight by l'Ormarine. Squid is on the menu so it should go well.

Raoul Duke

Reaction score
^^ A 22 year old southern rhone? No, that's not in my experience base. It has lots of love on cellar tracker. What was it like?

The experience was pretty wild. Upon opening, you really get that "barnyard funk" on the nose, as a result of the brett. It blows off quickly, leaving berries, leather, mushrooms, wood. The palate was cherries, tobacco, earth and meat. Plenty of acidity. Medium bodied, with some bricking along the edge of the glass. This is just from memory, and I'm terrible at tasting notes.

I have another bottle that I will be opening on my birthday in a couple months.

audiophilia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A great Zin, a fine Pinot, a top notch Shiraz and a very disappointing Yankee sparkler. $70, $30, $50 and $33 respectively.

cakebreadzin.jpg
erath.jpg

henschke.jpg
roedererpink.jpg

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
I like Roederer. Granted, at $33, you overpaid. But at the $19.99 I buy it at it's a good deal.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Qfjr2.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads