• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

JamesX

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Really depends on how much you paid for them. If around $200 just wear them as it is.

linds_15

Reaction score
okay so my last question may have been too specific or long to read, i need a new suit, looking for a deal on a good suit. saw in the b&s and on ebay the rlbl Anthony Wool Gabardine Suit for roughly 600. i think its a great deal. how do i fit myself for it? i wont be able to try it on so if i measured my chest and its 42 do i buy a 42? or do i go up to a 44? generally does the size means the measurements or the size person it would fit

diggerdantheman

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kevinsp8
No, as long as they don't create an unsightly bulge.
thanks Kevin - might need to reduce the key count a touch
smile.gif

PipersSon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JamesX
How fast a shoe creases depends on fit in addition to how hard you wear them. A Roll is just how Shells crease. I don't think it is unusual. It might be because your shoe is slightly too large for you.

Thanks.

NakedTruth

Reaction score
A question concerning Allen Edmonds (AE): What last is used when shaping the Clifton?

For most AE shoes, the last digit stamped on the shoe is... the last number. The last digit on the Clifton is an "8" which would suggest the AE orthotic line.

But the Clifton is exclusive to Nordstrom, so I don't know whether or not I can apply the AE "formula" to this particular model of shoe. Thanks.

linds_15

Reaction score
Originally Posted by linds_15
okay so my last question may have been too specific or long to read, i need a new suit, looking for a deal on a good suit. saw in the b&s and on ebay the rlbl Anthony Wool Gabardine Suit for roughly 600. i think its a great deal. how do i fit myself for it? i wont be able to try it on so if i measured my chest and its 42 do i buy a 42? or do i go up to a 44? generally does the size means the measurements or the size person it would fit

adding onto this question, why are brooks brothers suits so cheap? from what i read on here i thought they would be at a high price level, are they better quality then the run of the mill fashion label 1000$ suits (baker, boss, z zegna....)

josh52

Reaction score
Hello
New here and not to keen on style. I am attending an evening cocktail attire wedding next week and am unsure of what to wear. The attachments show the two options I was leaning towards. I have darker ties and ties that blend with the shirt a bit more color-wise as well but was hoping to wear something with more color and pop for summer - but correct me if I'm looking in the wrong direction.
The pink striped tie can also go with the solid blue shirt, but I think the green striped one's lines are too narrow to go with the striped shirt (from what I gather from some online readin').
The photos are not the best, but the suit is solid charcoal gray, the shirts are soft blue and the other white and light blue striped, and the ties are pink, navy and soft blue and the other green/lime green(a bit metallic as well) and navy.
I also have a nice solid soft pink shirt and burgundy/charcoal/silver diagonal striped tie that worked very well to a wedding I went to last fall. I'd prefer something different but am not against wearing that again if it sounds better.
I have a good discount store near me (Century 21) that has great prices and pretty solid brand selection, so I am open to picking up something different this weekend (shirt/tie, not suit) as well if you have any suggestions or directions.
I didn't mean for a rather insignificant question to go on so long, but thanks for your help.

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by linds_15
adding onto this question, why are brooks brothers suits so cheap? from what i read on here i thought they would be at a high price level, are they better quality then the run of the mill fashion label 1000$ suits (baker, boss, z zegna....)

Brooks Brothers has a broad range of suits. Most American businessmen would not consider a $1098 Saxxon Wool Madison suit to be inexpensive at all. BB is worn at the top levels in American business and politics. IMO BB blows away those fashion labels you mentioned when comparing suits of roughly equal price.

Mike147

Reaction score
Topic here is Dress Shorts with Un-Fused Collars. I've been getting them for years from Joe Hemrajani at MyTailor.. I have always had issues with getting a good, clean, crisp press on these shirts and have tried cleaners throughout the tri-state area (NYC). Right now, it's extra starch on cuffs and collars that gets the shirts to a reasonable result..

Not sure why this happens - it there an inter-lining on the cuffs and collars? Does anyone know of shirts in the $80-$110 range that come unfused and also are relatively easy to press? Might look at RTW as well if I can find one that fits well and meets the above requirements. Thanks, Mike147

Pasha

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kennyhawk
Hey.

I just recieved a pair liked that on a vacation in thailand.
There is this tailor that makes everythin in the world. Suits, gloves, ties, I even think he was talking about a wife who had a sister hwo made shoes haha Anyway its a real shop in pattaya thailand and the website is www.zentailor.net, and i think if you contacted him through there he can give you a great price ;-) I order there somtimes, and he got free shipping and everything!

God luck!

Free shippings tend to be lost in the mail and never arrive.

chenzhongbi

Reaction score
How's the quality of BB black fleece ties? Superior to, or at least on par with ordinary BB ties?

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by josh52
Hello
New here and not to keen on style. I am attending an evening cocktail attire wedding next week and am unsure of what to wear. The attachments show the two options I was leaning towards. I have darker ties and ties that blend with the shirt a bit more color-wise as well but was hoping to wear something with more color and pop for summer - but correct me if I'm looking in the wrong direction.
The pink striped tie can also go with the solid blue shirt, but I think the green striped one's lines are too narrow to go with the striped shirt (from what I gather from some online readin').
The photos are not the best, but the suit is solid charcoal gray, the shirts are soft blue and the other white and light blue striped, and the ties are pink, navy and soft blue and the other green/lime green(a bit metallic as well) and navy.
I also have a nice solid soft pink shirt and burgundy/charcoal/silver diagonal striped tie that worked very well to a wedding I went to last fall. I'd prefer something different but am not against wearing that again if it sounds better.
I have a good discount store near me (Century 21) that has great prices and pretty solid brand selection, so I am open to picking up something different this weekend (shirt/tie, not suit) as well if you have any suggestions or directions.
I didn't mean for a rather insignificant question to go on so long, but thanks for your help.

For those parameters, the pink striped tie with a solid white or light blue shirt is most likely to succeed. Provided the skin isn't ruddy or very pink.

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Is there anywhere other than BB to get a matching piquÃ
00a9.png
/marcella formal shirt (detachable collar preferred), waistcoat, and bow tie (self tie)?

chenzhongbi

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Van Veen
Is there anywhere other than BB to get a matching piquÃ
00a9.png
/marcella formal shirt (detachable collar preferred), waistcoat, and bow tie (self tie)?

Paul Stuart ?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads