• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I Don't Get In-N-Out

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I was in LA talking about this topic with some bona fide burger experts, and what I said and have always thought is this:

1) It's a pure west coast style burger - the sauce is a thousand island spread, the burgers are diapered and put in the box and it represents a diner-style burger more than other fast food places. McDonald's and the Big Mac is also a west coast burger IMO, but obviously an InO is fresher and tastier.

2) ^ Fresher and tastier - it's hard to get that kind of fresh produce on a burger consistently at any other fast food place. If you've ever eaten at a fast food burger place in the midwest, you'll know that the produce is just old and bad looking.

3) In n Out does presentation better than any other place - Five Guys burgers literally look like someone has stepped on them, InO's are clean and fresh looking, it's a much more pleasant sensory experience that probably makes them less low-class than other fast food burger chains. It is a food with a pure intent and makes few other statements, whereas Burger King and McDonald's, they are loaded up the ying-yang with marketing and the constant rotation of marketing spiel and 'healthy' **** one day and crazy **** the next day.
In n Out is much like the way ramen is in Japan - stores with very simple menus, the ability to slightly modify your orders to taste, the high class rubbing elbows with the working class - because everyone is on the same plain to just eat some quick comfort food.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by foodguy
partly it's california chauvinism. partly it's because it's a pretty good burger at a very good price that seems to be available right where you need it most (ie: at the 99/5 split just south of Bakersfield, where you've been driving for 3 hours already, have 3 more to go and there isn't anything else to eat within 50 miles that doesn't take a search). it's certainly not a great, or even good, burger, but there are times that red and gold arrow beside the highway looks like a signpost to heaven.

I don't think there's anything wrong with being proud of a chain that sticks to a pretty honest business model. Perhaps its status has been elevated beyond the point that it deserves to be, but one could do worse than following their lead as a franchise.

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm glad I'm not the only one who isn't blown away by In-N-Out. The first time I went to the West Coast I was told it was one of the places I had to try, and my experience was a bit of a letdown. It was a good burger, but the adulation struck me as a bit much.

Pilot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have never been impressed with a hamburger (I've said this before), but for whatever reason I always find InO refreshing, and for that it qualifies as my fav fast food burger.

951socal

Reaction score
for the guys who have eaten at both hardees and carls jr. which do you prefer? its supposed to be identical but hardees tastes better for some reason, carls jr. is more of a cook it the night before then microwave and serve it to you place.

951socal

Reaction score
Originally Posted by impolyt_one
I was in LA talking about this topic with some bona fide burger experts, and what I said and have always thought is this: 3) In n Out does presentation better than any other place - Five Guys burgers literally look like someone has stepped on them, InO's are clean and fresh looking, it's a much more pleasant sensory experience that probably makes them less low-class than other fast food burger chains. It is a food with a pure intent and makes few other statements, whereas Burger King and McDonald's, they are loaded up the ying-yang with marketing and the constant rotation of marketing spiel and 'healthy' **** one day and crazy **** the next day. In n Out is much like the way ramen is in Japan - stores with very simple menus, the ability to slightly modify your orders to taste, the high class rubbing elbows with the working class - because everyone is on the same plain to just eat some quick comfort food.
its hard to find a ramen place in japan anymore, its now just a vending machine you throw a couple of yen in and give a ticket to some guy microwaving cup ramen and pouring it into a bowl. hell even the natto is fresher than the ramen at these chains taking over japan. they make awesome street euros though, particularly one at the shibuya station. awesome guy making shoyu dangos too. all japan needs is american style gatorade, instead of that one flavor pocari sweat knock off **** they're pushing. mcdonalds mega mac > in n out everytime i go home, its narita airport mcdonalds (which tastes like heaven after ****** ANA or JAL food) then eat it on the narita express .

yjeezle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by munchausen
Anyone in the D FW area should check out Burger Bueno in Richardson. Nobody knows about it but it's great. They have gyros too but I've never tried them.

Smashburger in Addison has ok burgers but incredible sweet potato fries.

i'll check it out sometime... it's kinda far since i live in southlake
frown.gif

Originally Posted by willpower
The In-N-Out in my area is consistently packed. The drive through is always at least 6 cars long. Not the best, but far from the worst.

Grand opening in TX. Heh.

One woman cried real tears after she tasted her first Double Double, the iconic two-patty In-N-Out staple, and some even decked themselves in full In-N-Out Burger clothing, donning t-shirts and caps they'd ordered online.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

this is what i mean. it's ridiculous **** like this that i don't understand. i was at the frisco location yeterday and there was a line that was so long that the actual line began in the sports authority parking lot behind the place.

don't get me wrong. it's a good burger, and i'm not expecting some gourmet burger **** but i don't think it's the most revolutionary thing i've eaten.

Originally Posted by impolyt_one
2) ^ Fresher and tastier - it's hard to get that kind of fresh produce on a burger consistently at any other fast food place. If you've ever eaten at a fast food burger place in the midwest, you'll know that the produce is just old and bad looking.

ok i'll give you this one. their fries were a lot better than 90% of most fast food places (ie. i didn't think i was eating a tub of grease...)

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1) It's a good burger. No, it's not a great burger, but it's definitely a good burger, and better than that of any other franchise (Whoever said that Fat Burger is better should just stop eating food.)
2) The secret menu options elevate the burger from just a good burger to a fantastic burger.
3) It's surprisingly cheap. You can get a burger, fries, and a shake, for like $5.

skywalker

Reaction score
Originally Posted by soxpats
Most over rated burger ever!

It's $5, I'm curious if the critical people could suggest a better place.

I've heard fat burger, i'm not a fan. I've heard five guys, and those aren't around.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by skywalker
It's $5, I'm curious if the critical people could suggest a better place.

That's wrong. It's $5 for a meal, a cheeseburger's around $2 and a Double-Double is $3.

What could possibly be overrated about a $3 burger in which all the ingredients are fresh and made to order?

ConcernedParent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+100000000 to the... "It's cheap and beats the **** out of other fast food chains" crowd.

CouttsClient

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whodini
That's wrong. It's $5 for a meal, a cheeseburger's around $2 and a Double-Double is $3.

What could possibly be overrated about a $3 burger in which all the ingredients are fresh and made to order?

Exactly. The "overrated" talk is...bullshit.

yjeezle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
1) It's a good burger. No, it's not a great burger, but it's definitely a good burger, and better than that of any other franchise (Whoever said that Fat Burger is better should just stop eating food.)
2) The secret menu options elevate the burger from just a good burger to a fantastic burger.
3) It's surprisingly cheap. You can get a burger, fries, and a shake, for like $5.

what other secret menu options are there other than animal style?

soxpats

Reaction score
5 Guys is so much better, but it is a couple dollars more. In-N-Out is mediocre at best. Burger sucks, Fries are decent.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads