• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Beatlegeuse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Epaulet
We can easily get stock Alden shoes (Indy, Unlined Chukka, Color 8 longwing) in your size without a problem. In the Fall, I should be able to do special orders of our more popular Sewn by Hand shoes as well. We took some on the last round of Natural CXL penny's, and it went really smooth. I have a lot of leather stock coming around early Sept, and we can definitely do some special order sizing. I can do widths and narrows too.

This is great news...I'll definitely be looking to place an order soon if you can get narrow widths. Specifically, I was looking at the West Egg Sand Suede Longwing and the Brown Chromexel Indy 403 Boot.

But, before I try and get a special order for a narrow width...can anyone comment specifically on the sizing of these shoes? Normally, I'm an extra-narrow 13, like a 13A or so. Would a 12D in the Indy Boot work? I'm afraid it might not be long enough and would still be too wide. I really need to just try some of these on probably...

notwithit

Pullup laureate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dbear
I'm in your exact same boat Jslade, and tailor is your only (best) option.

Nobody is going to make a TTS medium to fit someone (lengthwise) that is 5'8" (I'm 5'7").

I have all my shirts that I ever intend on wearing untucked shortened to the perfect length (basically hitting midrise). It's much easier than trying to find the perfect shirt (there isn't such a thing).

+1 on this. I'm 6/1" (albeit a relatively short-waisted, long-legged 6'1"), and I still have most of the shirts I want to wear untucked (almost all of them) shortened by a tailor. It's pretty much a given that any shirt I buy is going to need a hem + back darts (and sometimes tapering, although I hate to do that with a nicer shirt because then I lose the original stitching, which is an odd argument in favor of cheaper shirts, but I digress).

Anyway, I really gotta drag myself to New York for a shopping trip at some point, and this place is definitely on my list.

drmmr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
The only few days I don't log into sf and I miss out on reruns of BOTH shadow dots. FML.

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by randomkoreandude
hey mike ... im sure your swamped but i sent you a pm regarding a specific preorder. im in no rush but just wanted to make sure it didnt get lost in the recent commotion.

and any updates on smaller sizes of grey rivet chinos? sorry not sure if you answered this already

Gotcha back on the shoes. And unfortunately, we won't get more gunmetal for another 8-10 weeks. We'll have a TON of it throughout the Fall though. The next restock of chinos is:

1. Shorts by next Friday
2. Olive Service pant in about 10 days
3. Restock of Navy Canvas, new Khaki Canvas, and washed olive 12oz twill for end of August.

Originally Posted by konadog
My tangerine linen walts arrived today. Every bit as good as i anticipated.

Awesome, really glad that you like them!

Originally Posted by Beatlegeuse
This is great news...I'll definitely be looking to place an order soon if you can get narrow widths. Specifically, I was looking at the West Egg Sand Suede Longwing and the Brown Chromexel Indy 403 Boot.

But, before I try and get a special order for a narrow width...can anyone comment specifically on the sizing of these shoes? Normally, I'm an extra-narrow 13, like a 13A or so. Would a 12D in the Indy Boot work? I'm afraid it might not be long enough and would still be too wide. I really need to just try some of these on probably...

Hmm, we won't see any more West Egg's for a while. If you're a true extra narrow in dress shoes, fitting into the Indy might be problematic all around, as Tru-Balance is on the wider side to begin with. A larger Alden dealer like the Shoe Mart might be able to source an extra-narrow Indy for you to try though.

We will have the ability to run special-order Sewn by Hand shoes though, and the last on those is slimmer and more true to size, at least in the width. Once we get that off the ground, I'll post up a notice here.

randomkoreandude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gotcha back on the shoes. And unfortunately, we won't get more gunmetal for another 8-10 weeks. We'll have a TON of it throughout the Fall though.
thanks for clearing that up! can't wait for the tassels and sneak peaks!

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

StanleyVanBuren

Thumb Raider
Reaction score
WARNING: LONG POST; TONS OF PHOTOS Let me just start by saying that I'm obviously a big fan of Epaulet and all Mike's work, customer service, etc. So I admit my bias up front. Having said that, for anyone still on the fence about Epaulet, please consider the following. I really can't say enough good things about everything they're doing. Last week I was in NYC to visit some friends and made sure to include a trip to Epaulet to pick up my new navy blazer, the "Caine." We were out at bars the night before in the same area and happened to stumble by and I grabbed this shot of the store late at night:
2LIYp.jpg
The next day we stopped by in the afternoon. My friend snapped this shot of me in the store:
3n87k.jpg
She said I was like a kid in a candy store, which is pretty accurate. The navy blazer is ******* incredible; awesome material, great cut, and all the perfect touches to really set it off like the 3-roll-2 button stance, the dual vents, ticket pocket, 3/8 liner, and so on. This piece is a total wardrobe cornerstone that I'd been missing (or at least, I'd been missing one that actually works). I've been wearing it like every other day since. Mike snuck away and then came back from downstairs with the raddest pants I've ever seen:
zonJ4.jpg
photo is not the best quality but I'll have some better shots of these soon. We spent a TON of time in the store and totally monopolized a bunch of Mike's time, so I apologize to anyone who wasn't getting an instant response to their PMs on June 17. But again, the customer service Mike offers is nothing short of completely over the top and yet he still managed to over-deliver that day. If you are ever in NYC, I highly recommend you go into the store. So then on top of that, later that night, Mike met a bunch of friends and me out for drinks (along with another SF user whose username I actually didn't catch). And to top it all off, Mike was able to find us a bar/room to do karaoke nearby when the desire struck around 1am (of course being from CA, it's still shocking to me that you can start anything around this time when everything here would be closing). Here are a bunch of photos from that:
SNzOw.jpg
KlktO.jpg
hkWgi.jpg
OdGtB.jpg
Anyway, it was a blast. Mike was a great host -- I'd never been to NYC before but Mike knew right where to take my friends and me. Plus, I've now got a box of stuff I'm expecting should arrive in the next day or so since I came away with more than I could fit in my carry-on. In the meantime, I took the blazer with me back on the plane and have been getting some great use out of it already. Here are a couple of cross-posts from WAYWT:
HQVt8.jpg
4AhXn.jpg
And are we doing that contest? If so, that last one can be my entry.
biggrin.gif

PorterInjax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great pics and writeup Stanley, thanks for taking the time to post.
Have to say that Epaulet is taking up more and more space in my closet.

CHRK33

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did Mike take you to Sing Sing in the East Village? That looks like the spot.

StanleyVanBuren

Thumb Raider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CHRK33
Did Mike take you to Sing Sing in the East Village? That looks like the spot.

I think you're probably right. I know we were in the East Village. That whole night kind of became a blur for me though...
lol8[1].gif

StanleyVanBuren

Thumb Raider
Reaction score
1. upon further investigation, yes it was Sing Sing.
lol8[1].gif

2. my box of stuff arrived yesterday! it all went straight off to the tailor for hemming, etc.

3. since apparently there is a thread for it, if anyone cares, I posted a few more shots from my trip to NYC here and from Boston here.

OK I'll shut up now.
devil.gif

flipsilk

Reaction score
Dear Epaulet Faithful,

Help me out if you would. Going into summer wedding season I just picked up these McNairy Saddles at Barney's on clearance:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-idIk8E0hwG...52.40%2BPM.png

Hoping to pair them with the perfect shade/material of Walt's as i absolutely love the fit.

What would be your top choices folks?

Thanks in advance!

Beatlegeuse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hmm, we won't see any more West Egg's for a while. If you're a true extra narrow in dress shoes, fitting into the Indy might be problematic all around, as Tru-Balance is on the wider side to begin with. A larger Alden dealer like the Shoe Mart might be able to source an extra-narrow Indy for you to try though.

We will have the ability to run special-order Sewn by Hand shoes though, and the last on those is slimmer and more true to size, at least in the width. Once we get that off the ground, I'll post up a notice here.

Great, thanks for the response...too bad about the West Eggs, I was really starting to like the look of those. I finally found a store around me where I might be able to try on a pair of Indy's, so we'll see how those fit. And I'll keep an eye out on this thread for any news about getting other shoes in a narrow width.

Beatlegeuse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by flipsilk
Dear Epaulet Faithful,

Help me out if you would. Going into summer wedding season I just picked up these McNairy Saddles at Barney's on clearance:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-idIk8E0hwG...52.40%2BPM.png

Hoping to pair them with the perfect shade/material of Walt's as i absolutely love the fit.

What would be your top choices folks?

Thanks in advance!

Depending on the wedding, those shoes might be a little on the bold side, so you might want to balance it out with some standard mid grey trousers. I think pairing those shoes with a louder color or pattern might be too much for most weddings.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads