• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is This The Latest MLM Scam?

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a couple of acquaintances trying to get me to come to their "meetings" to discuss "business opportunities".

I'm pretty sure it's the latest energy deregulation scam (Igni7e) or Prim3Arica bullshit. Does anyone know about either of these two things?

Have you been accosted by these people?

I coded the words as to not attract iDickhead MLM'rs.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Eugh, I've been hassled over people over that kind of thing for years. Former co-workers, neighbors, passing acquaintances, and random people. My new rule is that any time I hear 'business opportunity' and they're not asking for a resume, and they won't divulge specifics: No Thanx. Actually, just the words 'business opportunity' from a random is enough to put me on-guard.

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
Eugh, I've been hassled over people over that kind of thing for years. Former co-workers, neighbors, passing acquaintances, and random people. My new rule is that any time I hear 'business opportunity' and they're not asking for a resume, and they won't divulge specifics: No Thanx. Actually, just the words 'business opportunity' from a random is enough to put me on-guard.

I never know what to say to these people. I'd really like to tell them to go *************** right off the bat.

Some of my acquaintances are actually pretty successful in other areas and I'm not sure how they get involved in this bullshit?!?!

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
ha ha...can't believe i almost sent in my resume and cover letter to a RVP in my hometown. will think twice now

Gordon Gekko

Reaction score
I met a lady recently who harassed me about some MLM crap. I think the company was called Organo Coffee. I actually do business, so I know it's all BS when someone approaches me and say, "I have a 'business opportunity' for you." She just couldn't deal with the fact that I wasn't interested in MLM. I did that crap before and it's not for me. Hounding people and harassing them to get them to signup for something isn't for me.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The newest I've hard is Kylani juice or something, another Noni type scam. Wonderful opportunity for you to sucker your friends and family into being distributors on their own nickel, and saturating a market in 3, 2, 1...

munchausen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My first job after law school was working for one of these mlm snake oil companies. We almost got sued out of business by the Texas AG, by the SEC, and by our shareholders, all for different reasons.

I think the free market is taking care of them now.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas

My old ophthalmologist once told me about a "business opportunity", when I asked him to explain, he was really unable to do so. Unless you know the person really well, almsot always there is something rotten in the state of denmark.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i was accosted by a former employer of all people. it was for a diferent company but same idea. i guess we are in different regions. anyhow i looked into it, it seems legit but its not easy money.

like anything else they make it sound like you could made anywhere from good to a lot of cash with a few hours a week of work on the side. not true. would be another full time job. and of course the first thing they ask is that you whore yourself out to friends and family first. blech. after texting and calling me for a week straight he gave up.

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by in stitches
i was accosted by a former employer of all people. it was for a diferent company but same idea. i guess we are in different regions. anyhow i looked into it, it seems legit but its not easy money.

like anything else they make it sound like you could made anywhere from good to a lot of cash with a few hours a week of work on the side. not true. would be another full time job. and of course the first thing they ask is that you whore yourself out to friends and family first. blech. after texting and calling me for a week straight he gave up.

Unfortunately, the guy that was coming after me (whom I've known for years) wasn't giving up. I told him that maybe I'd stop by one of the meeting at a later time and he kept calling to confirm when I was going.

Finally, I told him that I was not interested in a part time business opportunity right now and he said he understood, but he would check back in a couple of weeks.

ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif

It's like they prey on your politeness.

I won't be nice about it next time.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tck13
Unfortunately, the guy that was coming after me (whom I've known for years) wasn't giving up. I told him that maybe I'd stop by one of the meeting at a later time and he kept calling to confirm when I was going.

Finally, I told him that I was not interested in a part time business opportunity right now and he said he understood, but he would check back in a couple of weeks.

ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif

It's like they prey on your politeness.

I won't be nice about it next time

100%. the nicer you are the more they lean in. its sucks to respond harshly, especially to a friend. but you have to lay down the law, as nicely as you can, but very clearly or he will not relent. good luck.

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by in stitches
100%. the nicer you are the more they lean in. its sucks to respond harshly, especially to a friend. but you have to lay down the law, as nicely as you can, but very clearly or he will not relent. good luck.

It's almost like they expect and prey on that niceness.

Reaction score
My nephew Alex lost his entire savings by signing up for one of these MLM scams! It was about 4 years ago, he signed up for some kind of new-fangled energy drink. They made him buy in a big bulk order, not to return the merchandise if he could not get other people to sell it for him. I do not understand how this is different from a racket!!

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tck13
It's almost like they expect and prey on that niceness.

they do. and tbh it what allows them to be successful at these things. the fact you cant swallow being slightly rude to someone who is trying to take advantage of you (im the same so no offence) leads me to believe its not the job for you.

maybe tell him that.

Pilot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I did the Quixstar/Amway thing for about 3 months when I was 18. Haha don't know what I was thinking. Guess you can add me to the too nice to turn someone down.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 82 37.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 84 38.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.3%

Forum statistics

Threads