• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Introducing D.C. Lewis Footwear - Affiliate Thread

chiggah

Reaction score
I'm thinking of getting new dress shoes for work/formal wear

How do these compare to Crockett & Jones , Alden, Allen Edmonds ?

PipersSon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DC Lewis
F, there is a strong possibility that we will be using shell cordovan in the future. I am a huge fan as well.

PS- I understand your hesitation with the origin as Logan and I were in the very same boat at the beginning of this venture. Let me encourage you to try out a pair and see them for yourself. I am almost certain that you will be overwhelmingly pleased.

Will not say I will buy, but will say that I would be very interested in shell dress boots (e.g. balmorals) depending on pricing.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chiggah
I'm thinking of getting new dress shoes for work/formal wear

How do these compare to Crockett & Jones , Alden, Allen Edmonds ?

IMO, quality and design wise they are light years beyond AE, a step above Alden stylistically, and comparable to C&J, somewhere between bench and handgrades.

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Instead of paying attention to ridiculous superficial things like shoeboxes and sole polishing(!), here is a laundry list of iGent/DFWII questions that no one seems to be asking: - gemmed or not? - full leather sockliner? - leather tanning - chromium or vegetable? - upper leather source? - only full grain leather? - bark tanned soles? - synthetic or leather toe puff? - any fibreboard or reconstituted leather product in the shoe? - heels are 100% leather with the rubber insert? - lasted trees? - sizing comparison to 'established' so-called SF-approved lasts? e.g. JL 7000/8000, EG 82/202, Vass U/F/P2, C&J 337/348, Church 173, etc (next isn't really quite an iGent question) - finally, if this is a factory-made shoe in a 3rd world country (with 3rd world wages), what features actually recommend it over the smorgasbord of midrange factory-made UK shoes where I know people are paid a living wage? A fiddleback sole and nice sole treatment does not a 'top tier' shoe make. Things like handwelting, top notch materials, and care in make do.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by apropos
Instead of paying attention to ridiculous superficial things like shoeboxes and sole polishing(!), here is a laundry list of iGent/DFWII questions that no one seems to be asking: - gemmed or not? - full leather sockliner? - leather tanning - chromium or vegetable? - upper leather source? - only full grain leather? - bark tanned soles? - synthetic or leather toe puff? - any fibreboard or reconstituted leather product in the shoe? - heels are 100% leather with the rubber insert? - lasted trees? - sizing comparison to 'established' so-called SF-approved lasts? e.g. JL 7000/8000, EG 82/202, Vass U/F/P2, C&J 337/348, Church 173, etc (next isn't really quite an iGent question) - finally, if this is a factory-made shoe in a 3rd world country (with 3rd world wages), what features actually recommend it over the smorgasbord of midrange factory-made UK shoes where I know people are paid a living wage? A fiddleback sole and nice sole treatment does not a 'top tier' shoe make. Things like handwelting, top notch materials, and care in make do.
Taiwan is 3rd world country
ffffuuuu.gif
?

emc894

Reaction score
Just received my pair of DC Lewis Claytons and wore them for about an hour today (the weather started to look ominous here in NYC so I took them off before heading to work).

I am very impressed with the shoe and really like it, especially having lusted after the JL Vale for so long. I am excited to see how it breaks in, but it appears to be a better quality shoe than my Crockett and Jones Maleverns and is certainly more comfortable on my foot.

My only complaint/suggestion is that I would really like lasted shoe tress. Please make this happen guys!

Also, count me as someone who loves the fact DC Lewis started with unique models like a monkstrap. I can justify spending $1000+ on a captoe because I will wear it so often but its harder for me to do that on a more quirky shoe. $450 is a good price point for them.

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by emc894
Also, count me as someone who loves the fact DC Lewis started with unique models like a monkstrap. I can justify spending $1000+ on a captoe because I will wear it so often but its harder for me to do that on a more quirky shoe. $450 is a good price point for them.

really? it's the exact opposite for me! funny how our brains work.

My thinking is distinctive shoe (colour, style etc) -----> High quality budget breaker.
Plain shoe (black cap toe) ---------> standard models (C&J bench, A&S etc).

emc894

Reaction score
Originally Posted by hendrix
really? it's the exact opposite for me! funny how our brains work. My thinking is distinctive shoe (colour, style etc) -----> High quality budget breaker. Plain shoe (black cap toe) ---------> standard models (C&J bench, A&S etc).
That's funny. I also sort of worry I may change my mind about a flashy antiqued brown chisel toe double monk or something but will always be happy I bought the best black cap toe every time I put it on in 10 years. Like paying $2,000 for a charcoal work horse suit vs. a one button peak lapel light gray one. I doubt I would ever regret buying this though (unless I jammed it under a revolving door or something):
892e4_vale1g.jpg

REguy

Reaction score
Fantastic stuff. Anyone have pics of the Porter in action?

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by apropos
Sorry, was under the impression these were made in Laos. Must have misread.
blush.gif

Actually it said both, so non offended... I would guess reality is more like Taiwanese manufacture with factory in Laos or you can have some part done in Laos, some part done in Taiwan.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by REguy
Fantastic stuff. Anyone have pics of the Porter in action?

Curious as well, that would be the real work horse, monk is just not that versatile, at least to me anyway...

jhcam8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can't complain about the styles.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads