• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Am I crazy for wanting to lease a top-of-the-line 3-series out of college?

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RedLantern
*Sports car being something that is fun to drive on backroads. Typically this means that it is lightweight and handles well. See if you can't find an MGB or TR6 to drive and see if you like it. Also see if you cant find a suspension modified e21 or 2002 (The e21 being the first generation 3 series and the 2002 being the direct precursor to the three series).

Always thought an e21 or an e30 would be fun...at least when I was thinking it would be fun, e30s were cheeeeeeeap
smile.gif

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Douglas
am i crazy for keeping on clicking into this lousy freaking thread?
I've been asking myself the same question. I think its because I'm secretly hoping that he'll be dumb enough to get into a $600 a month lease. GF - how ****** is your driving record that you're paying $200 a month in insurance?

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i'd lease an M3 convertible for $600. or even $700.

too bad i just committed my car buying monies for the next 5 years

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
I've been asking myself the same question. I think its because I'm secretly hoping that he'll be dumb enough to get into a $600 a month lease.

GF - how ****** is your driving record that you're paying $200 a month in insurance?

My insurance is high because I got my license two years ago. Spotless record.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i think in grand SF tradition, you've got to lease the car now just to spite everybody
lol8[1].gif

Bentech

Reaction score
Just wanted to throw my opinion in the discussion:

I am in a pretty similar position right now, I have been looking at more entry level BMW 3s, and Audi A4s (in both cases ~$40 000 vehicles) however, what I think I am going to end up doing is leasing a new VW Jetta. The new ones look sharp, and are surprisingly cheap. I am looking at leasing one with all the options I want for under $300 a month.

I could probably afford something like an Audi A4 or a BMW 3, but I feel like I would be better off starting small, after all, this is just my first car, there's nothing stopping me from upgrading 4 years down the road.

If I end up going for the Jetta, I will just be banking the difference. Feels like a solid plan to me.

bringusingoodale

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, whatever you choose to do, keep posting on this and other issues you may have.

I have decided to live my life vicariously through your posts.

[Why Greenfrog when there is Foo, Spoo, Vox et al?

Because he is younger. Glory be to the young.]

Night Owl

Reaction score
Originally Posted by GreenFrog
okay, well this is where i currently stand. no matter what car i get, im probably going to be paying around $200 per month on insurance. i won't be spending too much on gas, so i will budget around $150 a month for that.

i definitely want to lease a car for 2 years (i think 3 is too long) because owning one (which would be used) doesn't seem to make sense for me right now.

what's a good budget for a lease? i spec'ed out a bottom of the line 2012 honda civic with a manual transmission and pretty much made it bare-bones and the lease cost was around $350 per month for 12k miles and 24 months!!! that was with 0 down and a $1,500 trade-in.

this is just ******* sad, spend a couple hundred more per month and lease the 3

no point in saving for some magical day when you can "afford" it. when you make more money, you will have more bills and its all goes out the same. hey i got a promotion, aw now i have mortgage payments, hey i got a better job, damn i have a kid, and so on, hello $1500 shooz ffs

in the immortal words of patrick ewing - we might make a lot of money, but we spend a lot money too

you say your parents saved up a bunch of money being tightfisted as ****? are they going to take it with them? no they will die and leave the money to you so go get your bmw young man while you are alive to enjoy it
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by otc
Always thought an e21 or an e30 would be fun...at least when I was thinking it would be fun, e30s were cheeeeeeeap
smile.gif

Yeah, I've got an e21 and it's a blast. I like e30's alright, but there's just something appealing about the 4 cylinder engines (M10) in the 2002 and the e21 as well a the lack of ABS and power steering that is particularly endearing. Also I still see a ton of e30's around, which decreases the appeal for me.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
GF - how ****** is your driving record that you're paying $200 a month in insurance?

That would be pretty much the going rate AFAIK for a 22 year old driving a $50K automobile in a place like Boston. I mean it might be $170 but it's in that ballpark.

bigbjorn

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bentech
leasing a new VW Jetta. The new ones look sharp, and are surprisingly cheap.
Don't do that. The new Jetta is a de-contented, poorly-built disgrace. It's a car that's cheap because it's cheap! If you're looking at a car in that class, get the Civic. Or get a 2009 Jetta.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm not going to read all this thread, read the first page. good choice not to get the car.

listen, start saving. get yourself a million bucks in life insurance, at 22 it will cost you nothing, when you are 40 it will cost you a hell of a lot more. then, put 10% of your salary into retirment. again, you start at 22 it is a hell of a lot better than starting at 40. then save what you need to live off of for 6 months. that is your safety net. after that, blow your money on anything that you want, get a gold plated bmw and snort cocaine off the hood.

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dude, are you going to drive a Honda? Of course, get the Bimmer! hahaha

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
$200 a month for insurance is pretty crazy,my insurance for 4 cars is $1000 a year. And no,don't buy a ******* BMW now,you haven't even started your job yet,what if they fire you in 2 months?

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
When I was 22 my insurance was about $100 a month in DC, including several speeding tickets. No idea what gf is doing...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 90 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads