• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

2012 College Football Thread

?

• F

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • L

• O

• R

• I

• D

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • A!

• S

• T

• A

• T

• E!

• FLORIDA STATE!

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • FLORIDA STATE!

• FLORIDA STATE!

• WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

• LET'S

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • GO

• PANTHERS!

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grundletaint
ricky aside, texas wasn't doing that great before VY became starter. they were a ranked team, but not the top 5 team he and colt made them. gilbert did well against bama at times but if you watch that game again, he made a lot of the same bumbling errors he made throughout last season.

there are rumblings around here (austin) about him losing the starter job to mccoy's younger brother, who did better against the #1 D than gilbert did against #2 D in the spring game. there's also pretty much zero buzz about the upcoming season right now. the entire town seems pretty defeated.

to be fair, they tried to switch their entire offensive scheme last season from passing to being more smashmouth and run up the gut. i think they forgot you need runningbacks for that...

it's a talented team that needs an identity and some leadership if they want to be in the conversation again.

I attributed the bumbling errors to nerves. Were I put in that game to play, I'd be lucky to tie my shoes!

The younger McCoy's development should be interesting to watch: sometimes it seems to be in the blood (the Mannings), and other times, not so much (Klinglers)

grundletaint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
I attributed the bumbling errors to nerves. Were I put in that game to play, I'd be lucky to tie my shoes!

yeah, which it was why it was so surprising when he did better than expected. he still threw 4 ints, though. the same kind he threw all last year...

1st season as starters:

mccoy's
Att Comp\tPct\tYds\t TD\t Int\t Rating\t \t\t \t \t\t
318\t217\t68.2\t2,570 29 7 161.8\t

gilbert's
441\t260\t59.0\t2,744 10 17 111.0

guster

Reaction score
The season's still young. Give us time to fumble a few away.

Texas had a great run of talent beyond those two (Ricky Williams, anyone?) and Gilbert showed a lot of poise in the second half against 'Bama, as a freshman - if he can hit his stride early in the season, they might be a top-10 team again.

BTW: I will NOT be watching the A&M - Texas game this year. We watched it last year and my son was intolerable during the game and inconsolable after. Afterwards, he told me "Wait until Colt McCoy comes back, and then we'll get you!" My son, a chip off the ol' (dumb) block.

Funny on your son!

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
BTW: I am profoundly interested in UH football this year

So 9/24 is circled on your calendar?

How epic of a meatup would that be!

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edinatlanta
So 9/24 is circled on your calendar?

How epic of a meatup would that be!

All the home games are circled on my calendar. If we can survive UCLA then the rest of the season ought to be fun to watch. UH-Rice will be a tough game: two years ago we throttled them - scoring at will, running up a healthy lead by halftime. Last year, Keenum was out, and it was an awful battle which Rice pulled out in the final minute.

You're not - by any chance - going to find yourself in Houston that weekend, are you?

yjeezle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grundletaint
yeah, which it was why it was so surprising when he did better than expected. he still threw 4 ints, though. the same kind he threw all last year...

1st season as starters:

mccoy's
Att Comp\tPct\tYds\t TD\t Int\t Rating\t \t\t \t \t\t
318\t217\t68.2\t2,570 29 7 161.8\t

gilbert's
441\t260\t59.0\t2,744 10 17 111.0

i feel like gilbert just doesn't have it... the leadership that is. i think he has it athletically, but if you read his interviews and whatnot, it seems like he's very indecisive about what he wants to do/needs to do.

i'm more interested in mccoy's younger brother.

i think texas will be a top 5 team for years to come. no stats. just feeling.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You're not - by any chance - going to find yourself in Houston that weekend, are you?

If I am still in the country I fully intend on doing so.

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
Every time I see new posts in this thread, I get a little happier.

real talk: FSU's is exponentially better than a ******* banner. http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/post...vs-11-michigan

Yeah, i have no idea how this is even close. I guess Michigan's insanely large (both in numbers and girth) fan base has nothing better to do but sit on their asses and vote in this poll. I had never even heard of Michigan's banner until this poll. What the hell is the big deal? It's a banner. Almost every school has one.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Just heard that Ohio State is placing its football team on probation and vacating all the 2010 wins.

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So this means they still don't have a bowl win against an SEC team, right?

laugh.gif

ConcernedParent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FLMountainMan
Every time I see new posts in this thread, I get a little happier.

Yeah, i have no idea how this is even close. I guess Michigan's insanely large (both in numbers and girth) fan base has nothing better to do but sit on their asses and vote in this poll. I had never even heard of Michigan's banner until this poll. What the hell is the big deal? It's a banner. Almost every school has one.

The warchant is awesome.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
Just heard that Ohio State is placing its football team on probation and vacating all the 2010 wins.

such a bullshit "punishment". No one on the team thinks they now have 10 fewer wins under their belt... no one is hurt by it... yet it'll show they "are serious about cleaning up".

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
such a bullshit "punishment". No one on the team thinks they now have 10 fewer wins under their belt... no one is hurt by it... yet it'll show they "are serious about cleaning up".

The NCAA hasn't spoken yet. It could (and probably will) get much, much worse for OSU. This was just a way for them to say they'd done something internally when the NCAA starts considering its punishment.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrG
The NCAA hasn't spoken yet. It could (and probably will) get much, much worse for OSU. This was just a way for them to say they'd done something internally when the NCAA starts considering its punishment.
I agree, OSU made the move in hopes that the NCAA will take this as a sign that OSU is trying to clean up its own mess. Of course OSU is also hoping the NCAA will now be more lenient in imposing its own penalties against the school.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads