• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
Friday, and the end of SC week for me. For those who care to opine, should I move towards a suit based wardrobe, or stick with a mix?

Also, that's it for pics from me till after the 4th, I'm off to the blue waters and clear skies for a much needed break.

3c926c76.jpg

More..
f34fa2da.jpg

4791ad47.jpg

eb05e56b.jpg

422fdf32.jpg

it is good. the mixture.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Neofinitia
Picture075.jpg
Picture014-1.jpg

My two favourites from your recent selection. It's always a breath of fresh air when you post in this thread.
Friday, and the end of SC week for me. For those who care to opine, should I move towards a suit based wardrobe, or stick with a mix?
I'm going to go with my original answer of asking you which did you enjoy wearing better, and which did you feel best expressed the aesthetic you wanted to achieve. For me, I thought about half of each week delivered a great look, so objectively it's hard to call. If you enjoyed both weeks, stick with a mix. If you preferred the suits, don't sell the odd jackets, just try suits only for a longer period of time and see if you get bored or not!
smile.gif
Originally Posted by CaymanS
The way Spoo non-chalantly coordinates his Roley bezel to the overcheck of his sportcoat is a level of shwag customarily only attained by Russian billionaires, heads of global drug cartels, oil and mineral magnates, and members of the royal family of the Sultanate of Brunei.
laugh.gif
Originally Posted by upr_crust
Thanks for the input. At That Other Website, someone suggested that I shorten the bow tie a couple of notches, which should accomplish what you suggest.
I'll leave it to those more visuospatially talented than I do definitively comment on this, but I'm not sure that just shortening the overall length will solve the issue. It's more to do with where the narrow parts of the blades sit in relation to the fatter bits. It would of course depend on exactly how the shortening is achieved (i.e. which bits of the tie are cut down)... but I don't think it's entirely obvious how to do it best to achieve what you want. Anyway, continuing yesterday's theme of larger than average lapels... still quite a way off doing a full Lapo, mind!
FLzAo.jpg

Orgetorix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Holdfast
I'll leave it to those more visuospatially talented than I do definitively comment on this, but I'm not sure that just shortening the overall length will solve the issue. It's more to do with where the narrow parts of the blades sit in relation to the fatter bits. It would of course depend on exactly how the shortening is achieved (i.e. which bits of the tie are cut down)... but I don't think it's entirely obvious how to do it best to achieve what you want

Most bows adjust for neck size by lengthening/shortening in the middle of the neck band. When you shorten the bow (i.e. adjust it like you would for a smaller neck), it will tie up more narrowly from side to side.

tricota

Reaction score
Originally Posted by upr_crust
A fit of compromises today. Were the weather fair, I would have worn suede shoes, but as we're to be hit with thunderstorms this afternoon, I've opted for the loafers shown.

I also had thought that, since I've recently mastered the tying of a bow tie, I would try it as a semi-casual look. I am unconvinced that it is suited to me, from the evidence shown below - I am sure that others will weigh in with opinions on this matter. I substituted the tie for the four-in-hand shown.

IMGP0742480x1280.jpg

I prefer the yellow bowtie. It different, but not as much as the red tie, that clashes imo... This still works with a quite seersucker.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Orgetorix
Most bows adjust for neck size by lengthening/shortening in the middle of the neck band. When you shorten the bow (i.e. adjust it like you would for a smaller neck), it will tie up more narrowly from side to side.

That's what I thought he meant. But the problem remains that if you do this, you'll then end up tying the bow itself across a fatter part of the tie rather than the narrow bits it would normally tied over. It's do-able, I suppose, but not really an ideal solution to my mind as it's not how it's designed to work. Rather than shortening it in the middle, what he needs is a different bow tie with less excess width between the end of the tie and the narrower parts, I would have thought.

tennesseean_87

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Holdfast
That's what I thought he meant. But the problem remains that if you do this, you'll then end up tying the bow itself across a fatter part of the tie rather than the narrow bits it would normally tied over. It's do-able, I suppose, but not really an ideal solution to my mind as it's not how it's designed to work. Rather than shortening it in the middle, what he needs is a different bow tie with less excess width between the end of the tie and the narrower parts, I would have thought.

This is why I love a flat bat-wing shaped bow. There aren't any wide or narrow parts to coordinate...that and I like having to work dimples in like a FIH.

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I prefer your suit outfits. However, I'd be willing to reconsider if you did a full week of sport coats in which you wore pants lighter in color than your coat at least 4 out of 5 days.

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by StanleyVanBuren
HQVt8.jpg

Not bad, but the socks aren't working for me. They draw too much attention to themselves. Maybe if the pants were longer...

Also, that's it for pics from me till after the 4th, I'm off to the blue waters and clear skies for a much needed break.
3c926c76.jpg

More...

f34fa2da.jpg

4791ad47.jpg

eb05e56b.jpg

422fdf32.jpg

Awesome stuff. Have a splendid vacation!

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Suits, without a doubt. Because you actually give a damn. Save the SC outfits for the jerks who wear them because it is the minimum they can wear to get by (not that you don't wear SCs with aplomb...).

banis

Reaction score
Another attempt of wearing Solaro suit. Don't know whether this time it was better then previous.
Shoes - Alden cigar longwings; shirt - checked cloth 170 from G&R, navy raw silk tie from Panta.
i-jZwNk9N-XL.jpg

i-vVPCRQj-XL.jpg

kgmessier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrDaniels
Suits, without a doubt. Because you actually give a damn. Save the SC outfits for the jerks who wear them because it is the minimum they can wear to get by (not that you don't wear SCs with aplomb...).
I don't follow. How does this make them jerks?

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrDaniels

puzzled.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads