• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pocket Squares: A Discussion Thread, Questions, Opinions, Suggestions.....

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by skefferz
Not usually. On a printed fabric, the design is sharply defined on the front side. The printed design generally does not penetrate to the back of the fabric.
I mentioned this earlier in the thread, but this is the mark of a poor quality square. A good print should penetrate substantially to the other side, let's say at least 75%. Many folds, such as the reverse puff will show both sides of the square, so this is important. I pay attention to this when sourcing fabric, and this constraint is very limiting; there are many great designs that I can't use because they don't penetrate deeply enough to the reverse side. If you look at, for example, Hermes squares and scarves they have very good penetration, around 90%. I'm generally not a fan of their designs, but there is no question that Hermes printing is top quality.

xiaoli

Reaction score
thanks for the explanation kent.

I was asking because i alway wondered whether printed fabrics are printed on one side only or on both sides. I suppose the fabric itself affects penetration as well...

Sam Hober

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by xiaoli
..... I suppose the fabric itself affects penetration as well...
Exactly. And the style of printing.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pvrhye
I've seen far too many pictures of that damn fountain at Pitti. It's not that interesting, but seems to be in every photo.

Well, please post photos of guys wearing pocket squares in a city other than Florence......

A.J.V

Reaction score
tommy-ton-pitti66.jpg

pvrhye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy
Well, please post photos of guys wearing pocket squares in a city other than Florence......

Not a comment on your selection of pictures. It's a good selection. It's just weird that everybody there poses on the lip of the same fountain.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fred H.
The SpooPoof (but not on Spoo):

6.jpg

Thats SpooPoofâ„¢ to you
smile.gif

Yes to everything except the tie with the outfit and the shades.

Fred H.

Reaction score
Hey, PSG. I see that Will blew your cover! I guess you'll just have to find a non-agency job.

Navi

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kent Wang
I mentioned this earlier in the thread, but this is the mark of a poor quality square. A good print should penetrate substantially to the other side, let's say at least 75%. Many folds, such as the reverse puff will show both sides of the square, so this is important. I pay attention to this when sourcing fabric, and this constraint is very limiting; there are many great designs that I can't use because they don't penetrate deeply enough to the reverse side. If you look at, for example, Hermes squares and scarves they have very good penetration, around 90%. I'm generally not a fan of their designs, but there is no question that Hermes printing is top quality.
Yeah, it's pretty damn annoying trying to find nice designs with good saturation.. Even if the pattern is top notch, if the back looks like crap it's a no-go for me. Ruins alot of really nice folds, like the SpooPuff*, puff with some points peeking out. Also, love this one. Fabric on the jacket is gorgeous and the shirt goes perfectly with it. Tie is a bit different but I think it works. A knit tie would look smashing!
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy
tumblr_lnepjmYph51qfbji5o1_1280.jpg

600th post! woo!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads