• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Futurama

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teger
http://futuramaepisode.org/

hopefully people will watch this and can appreciate robin's constant futurama references.

the question has to be asked:

what's better futurama or simpsons?

remember you have to factor in simpsons as a whole (not just the vaunted first 3-5 seasons) all 20 seasons.

I have to admit after watching this last season, after watching some episodes I'd think: "holy **** that was good".

ConcernedParent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LawrenceMD

remember you have to factor in simpsons as a whole (not just the vaunted first 3-5 seasons) all 20 seasons.

I have to admit after watching this last season, after watching some episodes I'd think: "holy **** that was good".

The best of the Simpsons is on par with Futurama- however most of the auxiliary characters/archetypes in Futurama (and subsequently the same jokes) are created from their counterparts on the Simpsons... i.e Abe Simpson --> Dr. Farnsworth, Mr. Burns--> Mom, Waylan Smithers--> Mom's 3 sons, Krusty--> Calculon, Chief Wiggum--> URL/Smitty, Fat Tony--> Don Bot, Willie--> Scruffy, etc... The first 5 maybe 8 seasons should get the edge simply for originality.

Futurama is also more of a niche comedy; you basically need to be an educated 16-30something to derive enjoyment from it. It really is a satire of the "yuppie" and general metropolitan lifestyle- demonstrating that despite 1000 years of progress in the most technologically advanced society we all still suffer from the same human foibles. On the other hand, The Simpsons is accessible to basically everyone by not only the virtue of being a family comedy, but by also employing more universal and culturally relevant intertextual references.

Dude, what?

ebmk3891

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LawrenceMD

by that same token - don't you think you should only compare the first 6 seasons of the Simpson's to Futurama's 6 seasons? Futurama is written brilliantly, but the Simpson's at it's peak was just as good too.

ebmk3891

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ConcernedParent
The best of the Simpsons is on par with Futurama- however most of the auxiliary characters/archetypes in Futurama (and subsequently the same jokes) are created from their counterparts on the Simpsons... i.e Abe Simpson --> Dr. Farnsworth, Mr. Burns--> Mom, Waylan Smithers--> Mom's 3 sons, Krusty--> Calculon, Chief Wiggum--> URL/Smitty, Fat Tony--> Don Bot, Willie--> Scruffy, etc... The first 5 maybe 8 seasons should get the edge simply for originality.

Futurama is also more of a niche comedy; you basically need to be an educated 16-30something to derive enjoyment from it. It really is a satire of the "yuppie" and general metropolitan lifestyle- demonstrating that despite 1000 years of progress in the most technologically advanced society we all still suffer from the same human foibles. On the other hand, The Simpsons is accessible to basically everyone by not only the virtue of being a family comedy, but by also employing more universal and culturally relevant intertextual references.

Dude, what?

so umm... who does Zoidberg resemble?

Duff_Man

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ebmk3891
so umm... who does Zoidberg resemble?

You.

BYYUUUUURRNNNNNN

Imhoff

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
God Entity: Bender, being God isn't easy. If you do too much, people get dependent on you. And if you do nothing, they lose hope. You have to use a light touch, like a safecracker or a pickpocket.

Bender: Or a guy who burns down a bar for the insurance money.

God Entity: Yes, if he makes it look like an electrical thing. If you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.

Will always remember this quote/dialogue. One of the most poignant episodes of Futurama and dare I say, television.

Kajak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The end of Jurassic Bark made me more
frown.gif
than any other cartoon ever.

*#..

Reaction score
Simpsons in its prime > Futurama, although not by much. Both are great shows in my opinion. It's not like we're comparing either of these 2 shows to Family Guy, let's not go there.

ImaPro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As one other poster said you have to be a little older to enjoy futurama, i think they are really different and at the same time equal. Enjoy both more than Family Guy.

thats.mana

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We need rest. The spirit is willing, but the flesh is spongy and bruised.

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kajak
The end of Jurassic Bark made me more
frown.gif
than any other cartoon ever.

my wife and i just watched it yesterday... they kinda copied an old, and true, japanese story about a dog and his master (Hachikō), but I only realized it towards the end. my wife was just bawling towards the end... i was saying to myself "holy **** that was good"...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads