• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dream Job?

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Ha! I knew this was going to be a conversation starter...

Originally Posted by JBZ
11652.jpg

Yeah, except I'd freelance instead of working for Danny Aiello. I guess sort of a combination of Leon and Grosse Point Blank. (however unrealistic that may be) I mean, I like milk and all, but actually getting paid would be important too.

Originally Posted by Britalian
Probably more towards the sartorial style of Delon instead of Reno.

Actually, I really like Reno's look in that movie. All his stuff (clothes included) look like very well cared for, but obviously used utilitarian items. I like when he opens up the case and the inside of his "gun case" looks like a doctors bag, or a high end mechanic's tool chest.

Neat, orderly, clean, loved tools.

Originally Posted by HomerJ
So some of you dream of killing people. For money. Interesting.

Maybe I'm just morally corrupt, (or unpatriotic) but I don't really see the difference between wanting to be a freelance contract killer and being a NAVY Seal. (for example). For one reason or another, sometimes people are killed to serve someone else's agenda. I just don't happen to see a large moral difference between destabilizing global politics, counter-espionage, engaging hostile soldiers, hunting down terrorists, retaliation, protection, and etc. for most political, personal, or monetary reasons.

Originally Posted by Miguel Antonio
I think that killing for money is very degrading. Except if you are a policeman or soldier.
Are you sure you want to be a criminal?.

As far as being a "criminal" goes. Its far too late for that. It's already fairly well known around these parts that I'm an openly convicted felon. I personally only find it degrading when it hinders me from getting jobs based on my intelligence or aptitude that you non-criminals take for granted. As if the ridiculous "crime" I was caught for is worse than getting a DUI (which IMO is much worse than breaking into your high school and vandalizing it, which is what I did)

Originally Posted by scarphe
so you are saying the blackwater and merc companies are criminals?

Some people definitely would. I'm sure. What's always amused me to no end is the number of "Religious" people in the military and like professions who have no moral qualms either engaging in combat or somehow enabling combat.This seems contradictory and ludicrous to me.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Slim, how about Ghost Dog?

HomerJ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
Maybe I'm just morally corrupt, (or unpatriotic) but I don't really see the difference between wanting to be a freelance contract killer and being a NAVY Seal. (for example). For one reason or another, sometimes people are killed to serve someone else's agenda. I just don't happen to see a large moral difference between destabilizing global politics, counter-espionage, engaging hostile soldiers, hunting down terrorists, retaliation, protection, and etc. for most political, personal, or monetary reasons.

Yeah that would sum it up.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Yeah that would sum it up.

So... since you DO see a moral difference... what exactly is it? Why is being paid to kill someone by the government of your country better than being an independent contractor paid to kill someone by a private citizen, a corporation, or even the same government? If I'd have said that my dream job was SPEC-OPS... would you have as big of a problem with it?

You act as if people killing other people is somehow something that only the scum of the earth do. Which is not the case no matter which way you look at it. There is a big difference between someone who walks into a school and starts shooting students and a Marine sniper, but the KILLING isn't the difference. I made it pretty clear that I didn't want to be the former.

You can be totally against killing, and I'll respect that. But don't feign moral superiority when you live in and reap the benefits from a country who achieved, and continues to hold its land, economic freedom, and place in the global hierarchy (at least partially) in the world through the wielding of military might.

HomerJ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So... since you DO see a moral difference... what exactly is it? Why is being paid to kill someone by the government of your country better than being an independent contractor paid to kill someone by a private citizen, a corporation, or even the same government? If I'd have said that my dream job was SPEC-OPS... would you have as big of a problem with it? You act as if people killing other people is somehow something that only the scum of the earth do. Which is not the case no matter which way you look at it. There is a big difference between someone who walks into a school and starts shooting students and a Marine sniper, but the KILLING isn't the difference. I made it pretty clear that I didn't want to be the former. You can be totally against killing, and I'll respect that. But don't feign moral superiority when you live in and reap the benefits from a country who achieved, and continues to hold its land, economic freedom, and place in the global hierarchy (at least partially) in the world through the wielding of military might.
Earth to Tokyo Slim! My #1 dream job is 00 Agent, a few posts back. Now he's a very efficient killer. But if you don't see the difference between killing a villain and his henchmen bent on world domination or destruction and killing some guy for money because his wife put a contract on his cheating ass, I don't know what to tell ya!

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kent Wang
Slim, how about Ghost Dog?

Meh... He's *Interesting* and he definitely has an ethos, but I can't help but feel that whole movie was kind of a gimmick.

Look, a black samurai working for the italian mafia! How original!

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Earth to Tokyo Slim!
Earth to HomerJ! Do you have an opinion? Do you have something to say? So far, it doesn't sound like you have. Other than "I don't like yours". Which is fine I guess, but if you can't offer any rational insight or viewpoint, if you can't justify your own beliefs, and if there doesn't seem to be any reason to believe them other than "I believe what I'm told", you are more screwed up than I am. Are you a man or a sheep?
My #1 dream job is 00 Agent, a few posts back. Now he's a very efficient killer. But if you don't see the difference between killing a villain and his henchmen bent on world domination or destruction and killing some guy for money because his wife put a contract on his cheating ass, I don't know what to tell ya!
Um... maybe you aren't understanding what I've been talking about. I will repost myself for your increased comprehension.
Originally Posted by me
I just don't happen to see a large moral difference between destabilizing global politics, counter-espionage, engaging hostile soldiers, hunting down terrorists, retaliation, protection, and etc. for most political, personal, or monetary reasons.
What do you think James Bond does? I'm just saying I'd rather be James Bond, but without M and with a bigger paycheck. Also, "villains bent on world domination" ??? Are you kidding? We are talking semi-reality here. I'm starting to lose track of the number of times the U.S. has let Osama Bin Laden go already. You hear about the Pentagon leak to Fox News a couple weeks ago that ruined years of independent intel infiltration by a company that saved everyone's ass a dozen or more times? Boy, that sure was a good idea. That was officially our best shot at tracking their movement and thwarting terrorist activity. But hey, outing independent covert operations to Fox News is always more important, right?

Dedalus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe I'm just morally corrupt, (or unpatriotic) but I don't really see the difference between wanting to be a freelance contract killer and being a NAVY Seal. (for example).

I'm not unsettled by the morals of it, so much as that of all the things you could do for a dream job (sex, money, drugs, virtuous leader, etc.), you would choose killing people. Not even doing the ordering, but unquestioningly killing people hands on. That's just sort of creepy, unless your desire is the youthful romanticized fantasy of cool assassins that is a byproduct of our culture and not a genuine desire to kill.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dedalus
I'm not unsettled by the morals of it, so much as that of all the things you could do for a dream job (sex, money, drugs, virtuous leader, etc.), you would choose killing people. Not even doing the ordering, but unquestioningly killing people hands on. That's just sort of creepy.
I suppose that is sort of weird, I'll give that to you. Then again, I never saw the appeal of being a "ruler". Seems like a **** job to me. Money, sex, and drugs aren't really a job. Unless you work at the treasury (boring!) are a Appreciation star (ecch... ), or are Pablo Escobar (no thanks!) If it makes you happy, My second pick would be Motion Picture director followed closely by Playboy photographer. (Strangely, all my dream jobs revolve around "shooting".)
unless your desire is the youthful romanticized fantasy of cool assassins that is a byproduct of our culture and not a genuine desire to kill.
I'd say that this was closer to home. But, I can't honestly say that were I given ten million bucks to hunt down and kill Osama Bin Laden or whomever, that I would hesitate for an instant over the actual "killing" part of it. I really don't think I'd mind.

Pilot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Drug smuggling pilot for a large drug cartel. Flying ratty planes, low to the ground into sketchy grass strips, get PAID.

untilted

Reaction score
i just want to shoot the sht with smart people all day long. Think for a living.

Joe Camel

Reaction score
Tennis correspondent for The Times, getting paid to travel the world and watch tennis tournaments would be a rather nice life.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads