• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

scez56

Reaction score
Hey guys, which of these do you think is the best? I really like the first one but it is older and discontinued and only have been able to find one of them, but with the Canada Post strike the person wouldnt be able to ship it to me atm.

RangerP

Reaction score
Originally Posted by scez56
Hey guys, which of these do you think is the best? I really like the first one but it is older and discontinued and only have been able to find one of them, but with the Canada Post strike the person wouldnt be able to ship it to me atm.

I'm not a big fan of any of these watches so take my advice with a grain of salt. They are simply not my style but I do understand why someone would like them.

My vote goes for the first. To me, it's always odd to see roman numeral on a watch with a lot of Chronos and stuff going on as I associate the chronos with sport...and the roman numerals with dressy. That might just be me but I would never buy a watch that has both...both are fine... just not together.

Also, if you get the first, I would change the band to something that doesn't have white stitching. I also dislike that....

I hope Canada Post comes back up soon too!.... I haven't pulled the trigger on the Brooks Brothers sale yet and sizes are flying pretty quickly...

brokencycle

Reaction score
Originally Posted by justinsmnz
Most "NATO" straps are made of nylon. They will be much sturdier than Grosgrain simply because they are woven thicker and tighter. I'd also go out on a limb and say that most NATO style straps will be more durable simply because of their intended use (nylon for function over grosgrain for style.)

Also, in regard to Skagen specifically, most of their watches do not have swappable straps and use screw-in straps. I made sure the two I picked up used the traditional pin system so I could swap them out. Also, both of mine take a 20mm strap.

This was the first Skagen I owned (in white face with brown strap) and though I loved it, the strap could not be changed out because it was cut and screwed directly into the body. This did provide a ridiculously streamlined look though:

433LSLB.jpg

433lslb-3.jpg

I was looking at getting that exact watch, but I really want something that I can put a NATO band on. Is there a model out there that has the same/very similar face that this is possible?

Otherwise I think I'm going to get this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Skagen-Denmark...593165&sr=1-22

AB01

Reaction score
Originally Posted by B|aze
No need to apologize. It's not any brand, and there are no markings on the watch. It's bought directly from a factory that produces OEM watches. Custom order tourbillon
bigstar[1].gif

And where can the rest of us get an awesome watch like that? Help us feed our addiction.

discreteuniverse

Reaction score
I'm trying to pick out a dress watch on the cheap. Not sure between steel or leather. This one is $40:
81AAfLIjfzS._AA1500_.jpg
Any better suggestions?

ColonialBoy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by brokencycle
I was looking at getting that exact watch, but I really want something that I can put a NATO band on. Is there a model out there that has the same/very similar face that this is possible? Otherwise I think I'm going to get this one:
Been looking for a thin white watch with leather band, Skagen seems to fit the bill. Good price too ...

ColonialBoy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by discreteuniverse
I'm trying to pick out a dress watch on the cheap. Not sure between steel or leather.

This one is $40:

Any better suggestions?

Pseudo-diver isnt really a dress watch.

lemmywinks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the 3rd one... but for a cheap dress watch, there is cheap ($100-150) and then there is really cheap, which is what you're looking for. If a dress watch's sole purpose is to dress up and look nicer, then you are better off not wearing a watch because those are all watches that make me go :/

discreteuniverse

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lemmywinks
I like the 3rd one... but for a cheap dress watch, there is cheap ($100-150) and then there is really cheap, which is what you're looking for. If a dress watch's sole purpose is to dress up and look nicer, then you are better off not wearing a watch because those are all watches that make me go :/

I don't know much about watches. I wouldn't know what else to look at.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mk.ultra
are digital watches considered a crime? I mean this is the 21st century. I was thinking about getting a G shock for use while canoeing/working out/hiking/etc.

Here's my newish everyday/work watch. I do IT work so an expensive watch would be really lost around here...
patch[1].gif

Casio Telememo 30...~$25.
casio-aw-80d-2av-standard-ana-digi-telememo-steel-bracelet-watch-blue-0803-23-DAVIS@121.jpg

I'm sure its not very SF friendly but for a wicked cheap watch it looks "OK" lol. In this world of cell phones and gadgets I dont remember ANYONE'S cell numbers except my own. Everyone is a contact now in my cell...the telememo lets you put names/phone numbers in the little LCD screen. Tacky or dumb...if I got my watch and my phone is dead, missing, or lost I can at least have some important to me, phone numbers on me. But I got to admit though...I've had some cheap watches but this one takes the cake for #1 Shtye dial illumination
facepalm.gif

tinfoil.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads