• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Collar me!

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been told many times by my bromies in WAYWRN that I need to switch over to collars with a wider spread than I've been getting.

Okay! Done!
bigstar[1].gif

The shirt below has MyTailor.com's Classic Spread collar, which is a little wider than their Traditional Spread collar, the one I used to order. This collar's band is also .25" taller than MyTailor.com's standard height and the collar's points are .25" longer.

Collar1.jpg

Collar2.jpg

Here are my questions:

1. Based on my body type -- especially the length of my neck -- should I switch to their English Spread collar, which is even wider?

2. Considering that the collar points don't quite make it all the way to my jacket lapels, should I get longer points next time? (I'm not sure if it's the shirt or my jackets that are really to blame for this problem.)

3. Is there still too much of my neck showing above the collar band -- enough to warrant an even taller collar?

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Threadbearer
I've been told many times by my bromies in WAYWRN that I need to switch over to collars with a wider spread than I've been getting.

Okay! Done!
bigstar[1].gif

The shirt below has MyTailor.com's Classic Spread collar, which is a little wider than their Traditional Spread collar, the one I used to order. This collar's band is also .25" taller than MyTailor.com's standard height and the collar's points are .25" longer.

Collar1.jpg

Collar2.jpg

Here are my questions:

1. Based on my body type -- especially the length of my neck -- should I switch to their English Spread collar, which is even wider?

2. Considering that the collar points don't quite make it all the way to my jacket lapels, should I get longer points next time? (I'm not sure if it's the shirt or my jackets that are really to blame for this problem.)

3. Is there still too much of my neck showing above the collar band -- enough to warrant an even taller collar?

1. No.

2. Yes.

3. Yes.

But, IANAT (I am not a tailor).

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think a little more spread would be good. I'd also go for a taller, two-button collar. In any case, definitely make the points longer as they should lie comfortably under your lapels.

As a side point, I think the jacket is too long for you.

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
More spread would look good on you. I'm not sure a higher collar is needed. And if there's a bigger spread, it might fix the length issue with the collar of your jacket. +1 for jacket being slightly too long. You seem to be in the same boat as me. In between longs and regulars.

Good thread. I should do this too...

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by musicguy
I'm not sure a higher collar is needed. And if there's a bigger spread, it might fix the length issue with the collar of your jacket.
Yep, that's exactly the dilemma I'm struggling with.

Originally Posted by musicguy
+1 for jacket being slightly too long. You seem to be in the same boat as me. In between longs and regulars.
Amen, brother.

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think your shirt collar problem is exaggerated based on the fit of your coats. I've noticed on a number of your coats (and it can be seen pretty clearly on the one in this thread) that the collar does not fit snugly on your neck. I think you should consider the fit of everything together before making a change to your shirts. You may wind up overcompensating on your shirt collars when what you really need is a tweak in the shirt and a tweak in the coat. You may find that after getting a better fitting coat that the shirt collar doesn't need as much altering as you assume.

deandbn

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I also think your jacket has a fairly 'relaxed' fit and is causing the problem rather than the collar which looks a lot better here than in your earlier posts in WAYRN because it 'stands' higher as well as the fit being tighter / better.
IMHO your jacket could be shorter and a little tighter.

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by deandbn
I also think your jacket has a fairly 'relaxed' fit and is causing the problem rather than the collar which looks a lot better here than in your earlier posts in WAYRN because it 'stands' higher as well as the fit being tighter / better.
IMHO your jacket could be shorter and a little tighter.

+1 The "Trad" fit doesn't work on your build, Threadbearer.

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zbromer
You may find that after getting a better fitting coat that the shirt collar doesn't need as much altering as you assume.
I certainly can't argue with this, z. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find a jacket that fits properly -- or that can be made to fit properly, for that matter.

Originally Posted by jrd617
+1 The "Trad" fit doesn't work on your build, Threadbearer.
I don't understand what you mean, jrd. My BB jackets fit as well as any other brands I've owned. They can't all be trad.

But we're getting off topic here. Let's stick to my shirt collars in this thread. We can discuss my jacket issues here: http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...81#post4609781

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't understand what you mean, jrd. My BB jackets fit as well as any other brands I've owned. They can't all be trad.
By Trad, I just mean full in the torso and lower armholes. You seem to be pretty slim. The BB cuts vary widely. Is this a Regent/Madison? Fitzgerald would probably work better. Anyways, sorry for derailing the discussion. I was going off of AceCow's point. You could use a wider spread collar. Especially with a knot that big. (Double FIH?) Mktitsworth had a very good illustration in a thread from a few weeks back. Check it out.

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
By Trad, I just mean full in the torso and lower armholes. You seem to be pretty slim.
Ah. All my BB stuff is Regent and Fitz. The cuts do still vary, that's true, but both still tend to be slimmer and to have higher armholes than most other jackets I've owned or tried on.

Anyways, sorry for derailing the discussion.
No worries. Always glad to get advice.
fistbump.gif

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Definitely wider spread with longer points man. If you didnt tell me this was a new collar, I probably would have thought it was the same as the others. How much are you dropping on this modern tailor business? PM if you wish - curious if I can find you a comparable RTW one with a collar that would rock it for you.

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
How much are you dropping on this modern tailor business? PM if you wish - curious if I can find you a comparable RTW one with a collar that would rock it for you.
I'm using MyTailor.com and am paying about $100 per shirt, shipping included.

Good luck trying to find a RTW brand that fits me. I've got a 15" neck and a 36" sleeve. I've also got a 41" chest and a 33" waist.

Originally Posted by pvrhye
Would help if you didn't blur out your jaw.
What are you trying to say, man? I didn't blur out anything!

Heartless bastard.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm using MyTailor.com and am paying about $100 per shirt, shipping included.

Good luck trying to find a RTW brand that fits me. I've got a 15" neck and a 36" sleeve. I've also got a 41" chest and a 33" waist.

Doesnt BB make 15/36? I guess that is not the easiest size. You need a Borrelli collar on a mytailor..com shirt.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads