• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Interesting Communities and Isolated American groups

jpeirpont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As a Negro red bone means refers to a light skinned (or skinneded) Black person to me.
But apparently they are also a tri-racial group. The Red Bones are from SC but migrated to Louisiana and East Texas in the 1700's. They lived in a neutral zone, near the Sabine River established by America and Spain while they were deciding where the boundaries of the Louisiana purchase were. The area was full of land pirates and other lawless sorts and these people supposedly have contributed alot to the Redbones bloodline.

Pretty interesting article.
http://www.afrigeneas.com/library/redbones.html

Part of a wiki article under the spoiler.
Originally Posted by wiki
The term Redbone became disfavored in the late 1960s,[2] as it was a pejorative nickname applied by others[2] to the geographically and socially isolated light-complexioned populations in most western Louisiana parishes, from Sabine Parish in the northwest and Rapides Parish near the center of the state down to Calcasieu Parish in the southwest.[3] This area is roughly coextensive with what was once known as the Neutral Ground or Sabine Free State, when no US state exercised jurisdiction over the area from the Calcasieu River on the east to the Sabine River on the west.[4] Families ancestral to the Louisiana Redbones came primarily from South Carolina (where they faced legal classification as "other free persons", in other words, non-white[1]) to the hills and prairies of western Louisiana,[2] following the Louisiana Purchase by the United States in 1803.[5] In this area, the settlers successfully resisted categorization as non-white. Enough discrimination existed so they typically established their own communities with churches, stores, and schools.[5] Though their descendants now number over 20,000 individuals[1] and are dispersed to other states,[1] especially eastern Texas,... They have established family name, genetic, and historical websites to collect and trace their common heritage. The DNA results thus far show that while most of the families have Native American markers in varying degrees, and some of them have sub-Saharan African markers, others lack the latter. Markers associated with the Romani people and other South Asian peoples have turned up, indicating that in some cases the dark complexions came from South Asian immigrants (Indians were transported to Virginia during colonial times as laborers), along with Protestantism and English surnames via the British Isles.[8]

jpeirpont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FLMountainMan
He's not the last living Appellation Mountain Dancer, not the last Appalachian Mountain Dancer. There are quite a few guys that still do that type of dance in that area, they just don't have camera crews and Hank Williams III as a friend.

BTW, there have been three documentaries about the Whites, the most recent one is sadly hilarious, like watching the worst Jerry Springer episode. Except you know it's not scripted. It's on Netflix Instant if you're interested.

The White family, ironically enough, is truly the strongest argument against white supremacy on Earth.

They may argue against this point. Blanc Mantignon in google books: http://ow.ly/5oBil
"The caste solidarity and tribal identity of the Blancs Matignon, of Guadeloupe, claiming kinship with Prince Rainier of Monaco and still living in the mountains of this Caribbean island after 350 years, are impressive. But they are an unintelligent bunch of peasants, racially bigoted and consequently deformed, mentally and physically, through incest."

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jpeirpont
As a Negro red bone means refers to a light skinned (or skinneded) Black person to me.
Pretty interesting article.
http://www.afrigeneas.com/library/redbones.html

Part of a wiki article under the spoiler.

I've heard it used to describe a particular sort of light-skinned black person. Reddish, obviously. Malcolm X, IIRC, was nicknamed "Red" as a teen.

jpeirpont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FLMountainMan
I've heard it used to describe a particular sort of light-skinned black person. Reddish, obviously. Malcolm X, IIRC, was nicknamed "Red" as a teen.
People tend to call anyone light red bone. Growing up I was called it though I don't consider myself light and am certainly not red. It is pretty uncommon for men to be called it.

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are there any isolated American groups in Georgia? This subject started to interest me after seeing Deliverance but I couldn't really find much information on it.

jpeirpont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stazy
Are there any isolated American groups in Georgia? This subject started to interest me after seeing Deliverance but I couldn't really find much information on it.

There seems evidence to suggest there were some in Northeastern Georgia I can't find any names.

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There seems evidence to suggest there were some in Northeastern Georgia I can't find any names.
Yeah...I just googled "isolated American groups" and this thread was like the 5th search result. It's a shame there is so little information available.

jpeirpont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
American but not in America, maybe the most interesting community The Confederos. They were confederates who after the Civil War moved to the Coast of Brazil and tried to recreated the Antebellum South. Apparently some parts of their culture is still celebrated there. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confederados Google Book: http://books.google.com/books?id=WRt...page&q&f=false
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.
festa-confederada.jpg
0.jpg
Festa-confederada-brasil-estados-unidos-santa-b%C3%A1rbara-doeste.JPG

jpeirpont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stazy
Yeah...I just googled "isolated American groups" and this thread was like the 5th search result. It's a shame there is so little information available.

Really it only works well if you use Tri Racial Isolates.
But Gullah/Geechie people still exist and were isolated but not quite like the folks featured in deliverance.

gladhands

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've meet a few non-gulla black people from South Carolina who possessed an accent that was almost West Indian. Do you know anything about that phenomenon?

jpeirpont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gladhands
I've meet a few non-gulla black people from South Carolina who possessed an accent that was almost West Indian. Do you know anything about that phenomenon?

I can't imagine they could be anything but Gullah/Geechie. That is who has the West Indian accents. Many just don't really a specific name for themselves. Unless you are speaking of those who live upland? In places like Ridgeway, those are called upland Geechies.

gladhands

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can't imagine they could be anything but Gullah/Geechie. That is who has the West Indian accents. Many just don't really a specific name for themselves. Unless you are speaking of those who live upland? In places like Ridgeway, those are called upland Geechies.

The ones I've met, didn't self-identify as either. They could have just been ******** me, though.

jpeirpont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gladhands
The ones I've met, didn't self-identify as either. They could have just been ******** me, though.
Many won't know what you are talking about when you say Gullah, Geechie is definitely the prefered term especially among the youth. random fact, one of Rick Ross nick names is Geechie Luciano... Rick Ross is from Mississippi so not a real Geechie, but Trick Daddy is an actual Geechie.
Originally Posted by Trick Daddy
I'm a ol' sneaky, ol' freaky, ol' geechy-ass ***** Collard green, neckbone-eatin-ass ***** Always wearin my jeans baggy saggy You know Florida, Georgia, South Cakalaky
I also liked Rick Ross on PacMan lyrics
100ms,I'm on my Geechie ****! Geechie Luchiano ***** you know I'm Geechie rich!!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads