• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Site Topics - Part II

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edinatlanta
wHEN all DC was capable of is the paleo diet thread...time to go.

Seriously, I know the mods are usually laissez-faire and are dealing with technical issues related to the new system but it really is time to start focusing on how to improve the quality of the site. A new system won't achieve that.

Paleo diet thread was ****.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
(...) Seriously, I know the mods are usually laissez-faire and are dealing with technical issues related to the new system but it really is time to start focusing on how to improve the quality of the site. A new system won't achieve that.
Originally Posted by acidboy
(...) though this has been tackled before, and the consensus was giving the site a more democratic tone, I am starting to believe some fascist/dictatorial powers should be used in extreme cases.
Look: if you want a better site, make better posts. And, as much as I dislike saying this, it's probably in our best interest to start holding up standards - Among the Membership. As emptym's post re: MC noted - there's a bit of cruiserification going on with new posters. I may be off-base here, but we're either going to have to start posting more quality, or shouting down more posters who are missing the point completely. Option 2, though, is distasteful to me because it brings to mind MT_spiffy whom I quite liked even though he dressed like more colors = better, and thought no tie knot was ever too large. We're either going to have to start outnumbering the noobs and drowning them out, or pointing them to other sub-fora (Cruiser's playground) or other tactics will be called for.

origenesprit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acidboy
+1... seriously ab/dc, your past few weeks of post just isn't cutting it anymore. even by dt standards.

He used to be one of my favorite posters, but I think when Metro left he felt the need to take his place, and has been trying way too hard ever since.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't want to sound fatalistic but I kinda think SF is on the cusp of failure. There's little reason to go to MC now. With that's decline means you won't have the same level of quality of posters contributing to CEPM, SFLD, Business etc, because let's face it. Style is the engine for the site.

THere's a pretty uniform outlook in MC, a near universal mindset from the newbs that's pretty boring and in no way new or different (SWD is just intrinsically horrible) which means SF is in danger of becoming just another website.

Basically, I don't know what can be done to prevent that, other than more heavy-handed moderation and work from the good posters (which isn't me, I'll admit) to shepherd the bad posters in the right direction. Maybe a newb forum where you can only post for say the first 20 posts or whatever, and only on style. That way many questions can be corralled, and they can learn what the rest of the site is about, without what will surely be their ******** the rest of it up.

IDK. I guess basically the outlook is grim for the site. Bhowie put it in much starker terms than I did a while back but he may be on to something.

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't want to sound fatalistic but I kinda think SF is on the cusp of failure. There's little reason to go to MC now. With that's decline means you won't have the same level of quality of posters contributing to CEPM, SFLD, Business etc, because let's face it. Style is the engine for the site. THere's a pretty uniform outlook in MC, a near universal mindset from the newbs that's pretty boring and in no way new or different (SWD is just intrinsically horrible) which means SF is in danger of becoming just another website. Basically, I don't know what can be done to prevent that, other than more heavy-handed moderation and work from the good posters (which isn't me, I'll admit) to shepherd the bad posters in the right direction. Maybe a newb forum where you can only post for say the first 20 posts or whatever, and only on style. That way many questions can be corralled, and they can learn what the rest of the site is about, without what will surely be their ******** the rest of it up. IDK. I guess basically the outlook is grim for the site. Bhowie put it in much starker terms than I did a while back but he may be on to something.
Meh, I think MC is okay. We still get the occasional awesome posts. SW&D would be better if it cut down on the asshole attitude, but I can imagine that some crazy **** is posted over there so what can they do? I rarely go there anyway. Uncontrol's shtick gets old fast.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
People have been making these exact same posts monthly for as long as I've been on the site... and guess what, the site still lives.

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
I got some nice little jabs at AB during his meltdown. That was fun.
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
People have been making these exact same posts monthly for as long as I've been on the site... and guess what, the site still lives.
Yeah, sometimes it seems "over" for a week or so. Then there is a great thread and I have to come back and talk to you idiots some more.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
Look: if you want a better site, make better posts.

And, as much as I dislike saying this, it's probably in our best interest to start holding up standards - Among the Membership. As emptym's post re: MC noted - there's a bit of cruiserification going on with new posters. I may be off-base here, but we're either going to have to start posting more quality, or shouting down more posters who are missing the point completely. Option 2, though, is distasteful to me because it brings to mind MT_spiffy whom I quite liked even though he dressed like more colors = better, and thought no tie knot was ever too large. We're either going to have to start outnumbering the noobs and drowning them out, or pointing them to other sub-fora (Cruiser's playground) or other tactics will be called for.

I believe both options should be used.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

And the difference is that now the best posters are checking out and no one is stepping in to replace them.

It isn't hard to see that this isn't the same site it was two years ago.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't want to sound fatalistic but I kinda think SF is on the cusp of failure. There's little reason to go to MC now. With that's decline means you won't have the same level of quality of posters contributing to CEPM, SFLD, Business etc, because let's face it. Style is the engine for the site.

THere's a pretty uniform outlook in MC, a near universal mindset from the newbs that's pretty boring and in no way new or different (SWD is just intrinsically horrible) which means SF is in danger of becoming just another website.

Basically, I don't know what can be done to prevent that, other than more heavy-handed moderation and work from the good posters (which isn't me, I'll admit) to shepherd the bad posters in the right direction. Maybe a newb forum where you can only post for say the first 20 posts or whatever, and only on style. That way many questions can be corralled, and they can learn what the rest of the site is about, without what will surely be their ******** the rest of it up.

IDK. I guess basically the outlook is grim for the site. Bhowie put it in much starker terms than I did a while back but he may be on to something.

Well sorry to say you do sound fatalistic.

Guess what Ed meister? This is the internet and google is here to stay. Most seaches about clothes will lead people here eventually. That is just the reality. Most of these self serving style searching noobs are one and done almost. And these one and dones will be like a revolving door, not much to do about it other than see them come and go. The ones with some more common sense and some thicker skin that stay around seem to do just fine, and contribute nicely to the forum in general. Some new dude AJZ?? just posted in WAYWRN for the first time the other day and knocked it out of the park.

I know everybody loves you (I love you too <3) and Bhowie, but seriously I have seen this complaint from the time I joined over and over again. Firstly it doesn't help. Bitching and whining doesnt ad **** to the fora. Try starting an interesting thought provoking MC thread, or post in WAYWRN and show these noobs how its done. Secondly its not as bad as you guys make it out to be, as one dude said (see below) this is old news.

I dont think SF is in danger of anything. There is a large core of great guys and great posters here. As long the good ones stick around it will continue attracting more quality people. So you have to deal with some "noice" sometimes. Big freakin deal. Why people leave becuase it gets a little noob crowded sometimes is beyond me. If you dont like something just skip over it. No need to get all pissy and leave.

yes.

ysc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't want to sound fatalistic but I kinda think SF is on the cusp of failure.....
Originally Posted by in stitches
seriously I have seen this complaint from the time I joined over and over again.....
... Ok, mean joke. That said the quality of content on the site has, at least to me, seemed to go down since some time in 2010. I am not saying you are the cause though.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ysc

Ok, mean joke. That said the content on the sight has, at least to me, seemed to go down since some time in 2010. I am not saying you are the cause though.

no worries, i can deal
wink.gif

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Seriously, I know the mods are usually laissez-faire and are dealing with technical issues related to the new system but it really is time to start focusing on how to improve the quality of the site. A new system won't achieve that.
I place blame on DT for all faults of the forum.
Stronger MC moderation probably wouldn't hurt (at the very least, reporting spam or special flower threads). Say what you want about SW&D's aesthetic, but it's far more dynamic than MC and encompasses a far larger group of looks. The "attitude" complaint does have a bit of truth to it though, I suppose (and my hands aren't clean), but most of the flaming is the result of noobs not searching and then asking questions which are absurdly easy to find answers to or ignoring the stickies at the top and making new threads anyway And there isn't really anything to replace SF with. AAAC, SZ, SuFu all have decent user bases but they're far more specific

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
And the difference is that now the best posters are checking out and no one is stepping in to replace them.
Here's the real problem.

origenesprit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JMRouse
Paleo diet thread was ****.

Not as bad as the love-handles thread. Ugh.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads