• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)?

iamjayden

Reaction score
Which pair of eye glasses?
Robert-Gellar-Andreas-Eyeglasses-1.jpg
Robert-Geller-David-Eyeglasses-1.jpg

Desi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Actually I like the BoO shirt. Looks as that one is meant to be tucked in going by the tie length and it covering his crotch. Not a good way to display the product there.

BB1's rule makes great sense except then people like me would shop at H&M constantly like the rest of the peasants. $100 winter coat vs. $450 winter coat? Please I can style that $100 **** with my purple pants easy and it'll make spring cleaning that much easier.

lamergod

Reaction score
Originally Posted by iamjayden
Which pair of eye glasses?

Robert-Gellar-Andreas-Eyeglasses-1.jpg

Robert-Geller-David-Eyeglasses-1.jpg

Yup like Knisse said, pretty much depends on your face shape. But just looking at it, I like the second one.

snowmanxl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dtmt
bal-z-258528-wom61_gre_3.jpg

someone talk me out of these

sorry, i cant help you
redface.gif
. these are cool, kop
devil.gif

notwithit

Pullup laureate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by g transistor
Dude that shirt is ugly. Don't get it just cause it's a $100 band

Originally Posted by BB1
I really hate how BoO shirts have a deeply curved hem that comes up massively high on the sides. Reminds me of a bib! I sold all of mine about a year ago since I never wore any of them. They always looked too long from the front and too short from the sides.

Also imagine what that shirt would look like with the tie removed. The black tie helps to break up the loudness of the stripes. But with it gone you'll have an even greater expanse of loud stripes ready to swallow you up. The only good way to make that thing work is by layering it under a sweater or cardigan, and even then it's gonna be questionable.

Famous brand + sale price = mistake

Yeah, decided to pass. I was totally lured in by the sale price, but it would end up being a regrettable purchase. Going for the phone instead, which is less ugly and will have way more utility.
laugh.gif

I'd most likely want to wear it untucked and sans tie (I rarely have a need to tuck or wear a tie these days), and I agree with both of BB1's points about the shirt. I think I mentioned a post or two up that I really don't get the deeply curved hem on BoO shirts.

I disagree to some extent with the idea of not buying a much-loved brand when available for cheap. I traditionally haven't owned or even handled that much "nice" clothing (with the exception of raw denim), and I think it can be worthwhile to experiment and try out a brand that gets good reviews on the forum to see if it works and genuinely has some appeal/lives up to the hype.

Silent t-shirts are a decent example: people seem to like them, and they were cheap on Gilt. I picked one up, and I definitely like it and will most likely buy more (although I'll wait to get them at Gilt prices
devil.gif
).

Similarly, BoO is well-loved (and hyped) around here, mostly because of the slim fit. I'd like to try it out at some point, because there's actually a chance that this would basically be the first shirt ever that fits me decently off the rack. If nothing else, if I like the fit I could show it to a tailor as an example of how I want my shirts to be altered.

Ok, I wrote way, way too much, but: experimenting with desirable brands when available at a discount = good; buying stuff just because it's cheap = bad.

Also, I don't like either of the last two shoes posted.

scott.m

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
wedge sole on a loafer is a ******* marsupialed trend.

Lane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BB1
It's not meant to be an absolute rule. But I have found it is true more often than not. It is far better to find the few pieces you love and pay the prevailing price, as opposed to searching for bargains so you can continually add more pieces to your wardrobe. The later being the same phenomena which drives Costco or GILT shoppers-- sacrificing selection for the allure of "high quality" brands at cheap prices.

The biggest issue with cheap prices is how it causes your standards of quality to be lowered. For example, if a BoO shirt is available for only $20 you may be tempted to buy an ugly shirt since it is not a major purchase. But if the shirt was $300 you'd likely insist that it was something you love. You can claim you're immune to this, but somehow I doubt it. And in the case at hand, notwithit appears to have lowered his standards because of the cheap BoO price.

I'm not suggesting one ignore all sales. But before buying a deeply discounted item, ask yourself if you'd be willing to pay full price for it. If you're answer is still "yes", then by all means buy it.

ive adopted this philosophy, its true. You'll just end up with a bunch of items you are sort of happy with. When you pay more you usually are happier, at least for me the stuff I was willing to stomach the big bucks for I am still glad I did.

Dbear

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My philosophy too.

If you're buying something you kind of like but it caught your eye b/c it was discounted ($49, retail was $199!!!!!), you're still paying money. You're not saving $150 (common misconception, because you would never bought it at $199), you're losing $49.

Same thing with higher priced items. People don't realize that small purchases add up. Two OK $200 shoes is perfectly acceptable, but one $400 shoe is "OMG you're crazy!!!".

I've been much happier with my smaller, more expensive (per item) wardrobe than my bigger one that costs the same.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lane
ive adopted this philosophy, its true. You'll just end up with a bunch of items you are sort of happy with. When you pay more you usually are happier, at least for me the stuff I was willing to stomach the big bucks for I am still glad I did.
Unless you know exactly what you're doing. There's some really good stuff that goes on sale.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads