• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Selvaggio
Get ready for sticker shock. They have a kiosk in DJs up here and from what I have seen they are very dear.

I bought some Pink's stuff in London late last century and I remember that they were actually pretty good value and they lasted really well. I don't know what their shirts sell for in the UK, but I suspect we are getting the rough end of the pineapple.

Pink is a pretty 'affordable' let's say, Jermyn St brand. Probably a notch or two above Charles Tywhitt but not up there with T&A. Most of their stuff is made in developing countries (not Jermyn St!), and to be honest, I think their shirts etc. are overpriced, even in London. IIRC a business shirt was about 80 to 100 GBP.

Pink is a bit like Rhodes and Beckett but with a little more flair and targeted at a younger audience. From what I could see, they only offered MTM shirts as opposed to bespoke anyway, though I could be wrong about that.

But yes, expect it to be marketed here at or above 100GPB a shirt, and I'd guess only limited stock will make it out too. *Might* be worth a look at sale time.

ColdEyedPugilist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Prince of Paisley
Pink is a pretty 'affordable' let's say, Jermyn St brand. Probably a notch or two above Charles Tywhitt but not up there with T&A. Most of their stuff is made in developing countries (not Jermyn St!), and to be honest, I think their shirts etc. are overpriced, even in London. IIRC a business shirt was about 80 to 100 GBP.

Pink is a bit like Rhodes and Beckett but with a little more flair and targeted at a younger audience. From what I could see, they only offered MTM shirts as opposed to bespoke anyway, though I could be wrong about that.

But yes, expect it to be marketed here at or above 100GPB a shirt, and I'd guess only limited stock will make it out too. *Might* be worth a look at sale time.

Viewed their range in DJs Market Street, Sydney, on more than one occasion.

Not all that impressed, and therefore sincerely question the $160+ stickers.

For about $50 - $70 more, you're in MTM or Bespoke range with folks like Nahkle, P Johnson and other Aussie-based mobs anyway.

Like you said, prince: might be worth checking out at sale time.

elvish

Reaction score
has anyone been down the nigel lincoln MTM route?

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ColdEyedPugilist
Viewed their range in DJs Market Street, Sydney, on more than one occasion.

Not all that impressed, and therefore sincerely question the $160+ stickers.

For about $50 - $70 more, you're in MTM or Bespoke range with folks like Nahkle, P Johnson and other Aussie-based mobs anyway.

Like you said, prince: might be worth checking out at sale time.

I sincerely question DJ's business model in the changing retail environment, as it seems to be targeting a wealthy, but equally clueless customer base. They secure some patchy stock of some internationally trendy or, dare I say it, stylish brand (e.g. Paul Smith) and put a huge 100% markup on it.

They then expect rich twats to part with large wads of cash to buy these "exclusive" brands which, even if they aren't exactly quality items, noone else can afford to wear (hence they believe $ buys them style, or at least exclusivity). DJs don't need to train staff or even have much product knowledge on the floor (tried asking a DJs employee if a suit was canvassed lately?)

Hence DJs have spent a lot of time and money bringing in overseas luxury brands (regardless of the quality of the stock itself) and which have no flagship presence in Australia. They then proceed to mark them up ridiculously for ignorant, wealthy consumers.

The main trouble with the Internet from DJ's POV is not just the online shopping angle undercutting their price. It is fundamentally changing their target market, which is becoming more informed about the value of things globally, and ask why they should pay twice as much as an Italian or American for the same product. They also have access to a range of products that make DJ's look far from exclusive - just the oppsite in fact. What's more, the clods who would buy stuff at DJ's because it's exclusive, now no longer have that attraction, as any Joe Blow can be his own importer of the same jacket, shoes etc. via the Internet.

--rant over--

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

No. They were on sale earlier this month in Sydney when the DJ started I had a good look at them and was not impressed either by a) quality or b) price. Also had a good look at their ties, overpriced not lined, too short in some cases, overall not worth it if you ask me.

ColdEyedPugilist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I sincerely question DJ's business model in the changing retail environment, as it seems to be targeting a wealthy, but equally clueless customer base. They secure some patchy stock of some internationally trendy or, dare I say it, stylish brand (e.g. Paul Smith) and put a huge 100% markup on it.

They then expect rich twats to part with large wads of cash to buy these "exclusive" brands which, even if they aren't exactly quality items, noone else can afford to wear (hence they believe $ buys them style, or at least exclusivity). DJs don't need to train staff or even have much product knowledge on the floor (tried asking a DJs employee if a suit was canvassed lately?)

Hence DJs have spent a lot of time and money bringing in overseas luxury brands (regardless of the quality of the stock itself) and which have no flagship presence in Australia. They then proceed to mark them up ridiculously for ignorant, wealthy consumers.

The main trouble with the Internet from DJ's POV is not just the online shopping angle undercutting their price. It is fundamentally changing their target market, which is becoming more informed about the value of things globally, and ask why they should pay twice as much as an Italian or American for the same product. They also have access to a range of products that make DJ's look far from exclusive - just the oppsite in fact. What's more, the clods who would buy stuff at DJ's because it's exclusive, now no longer have that attraction, as any Joe Blow can be his own importer of the same jacket, shoes etc. via the Internet.

--rant over--

Good points all round, mate.

Personally, I can't bring myself to part with any money in DJs. Maybe a pair of socks now and again, but that's about it. I'm completely uninspired by 90% of the stock on display; for the most part, what I see is drab, boring and criminally overpriced.

It''s almost as if their buyers head out to overseas markets with the sole purpose of seeking out the ugliest, most garish crap they can find. Worse yet, they seem to do with an unhealthy gusto!
ffffuuuu.gif

DJs is neither here nor there, and that is their biggest problem. Not strong enough on the Value For Money equation to challenge the likes of Myers, but not sufficiently high falutin' to take on mobs like Harrolds or Parker and Co.

My 2 cents.

Selvaggio

Reaction score
Rant as much as you like - I totally agree.

Just walked through DJs on the way back from a meeting and, of course a whole bunch of stuff was on sale, but not their Panterella's (yet) - but even on sale I just can't see why you'd spend the kind of money they ask for stuff.

BTW, it looked like about half the Pink shirts were reduced by 30% - but they start at between $170 and $290. Now, I am a dyed in the wool cheapskate, but who would buy a RTW shirt for $290? Their entry level shirts looked to be a similar quality to the few MJBale shirts I've purchased this year - and they can be had for about $70 at the moment (on sale).

lennier

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Geoffrey Firmin
No. They were on sale earlier this month in Sydney when the DJ started I had a good look at them and was not impressed either by a) quality or b) price. Also had a good look at their ties, overpriced not lined, too short in some cases, overall not worth it if you ask me.
Personally they don't seem much if any better than Lewin to me, just twice the price (in the UK) or 4 times the price (out here). Since I'm happy with Lewin quality (please don't let me get dissatisfied and have to buy more expensive stuff... the curse of educating oneself :) ) I'll stick with paying $40 a shirt rather than $160.

appolyon

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I sincerely question DJ's .... blah blah blah

I was always fascinated by this theory at uni - Perfect Information - the third paragraph here has the most relevant detail.

Bone19

Reaction score
Finally some decent news for the forgotten children in Perth.

F.T.Russell & Co is a perth based travelling tailor. they offer both Bespoke and M2M.
ive commisioned both and i love the results.

they are not the ceapest in town......well thats probably not true as there really isnt anyone in town
lol8[1].gif
2pc half canvas M2M starts around $1900 and Bespoke full canvas at around $3300.

Fiona, the owner, told me that all their garments are made locally and all her jackets mare made completely by hand, this includes the M2M.

definately worth checking it out www.ftrussell.com.au.

Ps: im wearing my new SB 2B bespoke FT Russell in Harrisons navy chalk stripe 11oz Worsted Flannel.........love it! best suit i have ever bought, far superior to the Sarti M2M i bought a couple of years ago.

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sounds good, Bone. Prices are similar to Adamo Marrone in Sydney for bespoke. Nice to see Perth-ites have someone locally to turn to for their MTM/bespoke needs.

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by appolyon
I was always fascinated by this theory at uni - Perfect Information - the third paragraph here has the most relevant detail.
Yes, my argument is that the Internet is helping to reduce market failure by providing more perfect information to consumers. This is one of the main problems with the DJ's etc. business model.

Prof. B. Bear

Reaction score
I sincerely question DJ's business model in the changing retail environment, as it seems to be targeting a wealthy, but equally clueless customer base. They secure some patchy stock of some internationally trendy or, dare I say it, stylish brand (e.g. Paul Smith) and put a huge 100% markup on it. They then expect rich twats to part with large wads of cash to buy these "exclusive" brands which, even if they aren't exactly quality items, noone else can afford to wear (hence they believe $ buys them style, or at least exclusivity). DJs don't need to train staff or even have much product knowledge on the floor (tried asking a DJs employee if a suit was canvassed lately?) Hence DJs have spent a lot of time and money bringing in overseas luxury brands (regardless of the quality of the stock itself) and which have no flagship presence in Australia. They then proceed to mark them up ridiculously for ignorant, wealthy consumers. The main trouble with the Internet from DJ's POV is not just the online shopping angle undercutting their price. It is fundamentally changing their target market, which is becoming more informed about the value of things globally, and ask why they should pay twice as much as an Italian or American for the same product. They also have access to a range of products that make DJ's look far from exclusive - just the oppsite in fact. What's more, the clods who would buy stuff at DJ's because it's exclusive, now no longer have that attraction, as any Joe Blow can be his own importer of the same jacket, shoes etc. via the Internet. --rant over--
100% mark up? That must be during sales prices. DJ's mark ups are absurdly high. You're looking at closer to 170%-250% for the majority of items. They do rely on well-to-do customers who are ignorant of the internet and their surroundings. As I've said previously in this thread, it is much easier for me to sell a $1700 AC suit which fits someone incredibly bad than it is to sell them a lesser known brand which fits them as best as possible OTR. The amount of people who walk in and say "I want an Armani suit" and then buy an Armani suit that is 1-2x too big for them because we don't have their size is mind blowing. I used to be amazed at how much commission some of the SA's make. Not anymore. An ignorant customer with a bit of cash in the back pocket is a major payday for me. I even had one guy who asked "where did you learn your trade?" when I told him all of our AC suits are made in Turkey. According to him, all Armani clothing is made in Italy, regardless of what the tag says. He then bought 2 suits and a leather jacket.

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by appolyon
Yes, my argument is that the Internet is helping to reduce market failure by providing more perfect information to consumers. This is one of the main problems with the DJ's etc. business model.
I hope the internet will come to this thread.

Quarks

Reaction score
Almost everything in over-priced in Australia ( Clothes, houses, cars, etc). When I go abroad, I am so amazed by how cheap most things are. I apologise if I have been bitching way too damn much about this. Most of my purchases now are made online. I wish I could buy a brand new car online from abroad & escape the taxes as well. hahaha.
laugh.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads