• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Affordable must eat's in NYC

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by antirabbit
yes.

The trip was an award from work, which I was laid off from last week....so I am a laid off guy staying at the Plaza Athenee for a week....

Good luck on a new job ( which you will get ) and it will probably be a better job.

I haven't talked to you in quite a while. My idea would be to have a wonderful time on your vacation and get charged up for going back to the MidWest for a new gig. As I recall, you are in a good field.

As you might know, I've been gone from NYC for many years. As a child we lived in both the City and in Brooklyn. I have seen Katz's Deli and Spumoni Gardens mentioned as good places for cheap good eats.

Some things seem timeless. I remember going to Katz's in the 1950s and Spumoni Gardens in the 1960s. They were great values then and probably still are. There was also good Knish place right near Katz's too. Being NYC, I would not be surprised if it is still there. I can't help you, but a good Knish place would seem to fill the bill for good cheap eats in NYC.

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rnoldh
Good luck on a new job ( which you will get ) and it will probably be a better job.

I haven't talked to you in quite a while. My idea would be to have a wonderful time on your vacation and get charged up for going back to the MidWest for a new gig. As I recall, you are in a good field.

As you might know, I've been gone from NYC for many years. As a child we lived in both the City and in Brooklyn. I have seen Katz's Deli and Spumoni Gardens mentioned as good places for cheap good eats.

Some things seem timeless. I remember going to Katz's in the 1950s and Spumoni Gardens in the 1960s. They were great values then and probably still are. There was also good Knish place right near Katz's too. Being NYC, I would not be surprised if it is still there. I can't help you, but a good Knish place would seem to fill the bill for good cheap eats in NYC.

Thanks my friend. Ive already had a few interviews and hope a few opportunities move fast. Im going to just relax and enjoy NYC in my boot (6 weeks post surgery on my ankle)haha.
Gonna see some ballet and some art, shop a little too!

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks my friend. Ive already had a few interviews and hope a few opportunities move fast. Im going to just relax and enjoy NYC in my boot (6 weeks post surgery on my ankle)haha.
Gonna see some ballet and some art, shop a little too!

What are you seeing? ABT season is in full swing and the Royal Danish is in town. You might be able to get 50% off tickets at the Rubenstein Atrium.

JSC437

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think this is the knish place... It is a few blocks west of Katz's

http://www.knishery.com/

Pinhas

Reaction score
Vanessa's Dumpling House
Calexico
Agozar (happy hour 1/2 price tapas and beer)

+1 for L&B and Xian

TC (Houston)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NewYorkRanger
Over the bridge Grimaldi's is fantastic, right under the BB so a nice walk after dinner

My favorite. We actually have one here now, which I visit often, but it doesn't compare to the Brooklyn experience.

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by poorsod
What are you seeing? ABT season is in full swing and the Royal Danish is in town. You might be able to get 50% off tickets at the Rubenstein Atrium.

Was going to go to Cinderella on my birthday (24th) at ABT.

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Was going to go to Cinderella on my birthday (24th) at ABT.
Have fun! The cast with Murphy and Hallberg should be good. I have season tickets to ABT but Cinderella was not on my schedule.

scientific

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yes.

The trip was an award from work, which I was laid off from last week....so I am a laid off guy staying at the Plaza Athenee for a week....

what the...? sounds like an interesting story, share any more?

i just went to shake shack for the first time this weekend and it lives up to the hype. go to the cluster-y one in madison sq park at night and wait 45 min in line, it's worth it and the park is great.

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by scientific
what the...? sounds like an interesting story, share any more?

i just went to shake shack for the first time this weekend and it lives up to the hype. go to the cluster-y one in madison sq park at night and wait 45 min in line, it's worth it and the park is great.

So, I was top last year, there was basically a semi-hostile take over at the senior management level and that put a big target on my back. It was an at will agreement, so they exercised that....however, I did have the award and Im taking it.
Its been hilarious, as its been the most unprofessional seperation Ive heard of. Ive asked for almost everything and been given it, however, there are some issues with past contracts I signed that are now not going to be compensated for.

Anyhow, I leave tomorrow and Im looking forward to it!

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
A lot of good recommendations here. I'd say that, wherever you get it, pizza is definitely a "must eat". Since I moved out of the NY area, I'm lucky if I can find one place in a city that has passable NY-style pizza. I love DiFara's, but it's definitely a pilgrimage. I'd recommend John's or Grimaldi's since they're more convenient to Manhattan. Both have coal ovens, and you won't get that outside of NYC.

Originally Posted by JSC437

Love that place. Used to go there whenever I'd go to the Angelika or Sunshine Cinema.

Originally Posted by scientific

Shake Shack is great... but why go to a chain when there's so much great food you can't get anywhere else?

scientific

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Van Veen
Shake Shack is great... but why go to a chain when there's so much great food you can't get anywhere else?

facepalm.gif
if OP likes burgers, he should def go to the shack

still intrigued by the story, hostile takeover and new mgmt's first priority is to fire their best asset? (im assuming some sales-related role) yet doesnt cancel trip. hmmm bizarre

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I prefer 5 napkin to shake shack.

And I'd bet dollars to donuts that the knishs at Katz's are Joneh Shimmel (at least they taste identical, I've never asked). THey are awesome.

Russ and Daughter is right around there too for some good dairy stuff (including trout roe).

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JSC437

Sure is, Yonah Schimmels since 1910!

Probably been 40 years since I have been there.

When I was very little, I lived at 42 Clinton St., within walking distance from Yonah Schimmels.

And in the 1920s, I believe my Grandparents on both sides went there. Some things about NYC are pretty cool.

Go to this one antirabbit. In the Torah it says that before you move up to a much better point in your career, you should eat a good knish.

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sure is, Yonah Schimmels since 1910!

Probably been 40 years since I have been there.

When I was very little, I lived at 42 Clinton St., within walking distance from Yonah Schimmels.

And in the 1920s, I believe my Grandparents on both sides went there. Some things about NYC are pretty cool.

Go to this one antirabbit. In the Torah it says that before you move up to a much better point in your career, you should eat a good knish.

I must follow this....I will go to the Knishery!
Thank you!!!

I love this hotel btw, its quite nice. Love the neighborhood even more!
I had forgotten how amazing this city is, also how sartorially speaking, this is the apex of dressing in the US. I felt sloppy!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads