• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
any of you original fellas wear staprest by Brutus back in the day?

or any other brand for that matter? I know there were several companies that did a perma-press stride but they've never talked about other than Levis

didnt Brutus announce they might remake their staprest? not that it means much considering how long it's taken them to release "announced" shirt designs
musicboohoo[1].gif

I only wore Levi Sta Prest, Dont remember Brutus Sta prest, In saying that i never wore anything by Brutus, When did they issue them?

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Brownie you remember Ruperts? just trying to remember when we wore them 70? They was Pastel colours, with a light check,
I have noticed present day Skinheads wearing bright Coloured Rupert trousers that Rupert the Bear or Noddy Holder wore.

Which was nothing like we wore back in the day.

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lasttye
Brownie you remember Ruperts? just trying to remember when we wore them 70? They was Pastel colours, with a light check,
I have noticed present day Skinheads wearing bright Coloured Rupert trousers that Rupert the Bear or Noddy Holder wore.

I had one pair of check strides (chocolate brown with a subtle, yellow, window-pane check) but that was well after we had stopped being skins and gone all arty, and they were flares. Never wore Ruperts when I was a skinhead.

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You know Lasttye,I am really racking my Brains(and it does not take long!)about Ruperts.I can certainly remember the later ones-as M-o-M mentions,but....?

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can remember the Check and striped Mohair Trousers(about `70),as I told you before.When I saw them in Nick Knights Book(Ruperts),I thought eh???

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They actually have a pair of Ruperts on ebay(Boys Size),and they are as I remember them-with turn-ups.

buttons

Reaction score
Originally Posted by browniecj
I can remember the Check and striped Mohair Trousers(about `70),as I told you before.When I saw them in Nick Knights Book(Ruperts),I thought eh???

By check though (in 1970), do you mean a subtle check of the dogtooth, POW ilk (rather than the large window panes with heavy colour clash that followed more like '71)?

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by buttons
By check though (in 1970), do you mean a subtle check of the dogtooth, POW ilk (rather than the large window panes with heavy colour clash that followed more like '71)?

I remember mainly PoW check strides and jackets (worn as separates or as a suit). In some cases the PoW check had a thin red or orange chalk stripe as a counter-check, almost like a superimposed window-pane check, but it was very very subtle, a bit like this:

2074.Suitings_HW%200666_12-13oz_Light%20grey%20prince%20of%20wales%20and%20red%20o%20check%20(soft%20finish).jpg

But no Rupert Bear nonsense.

buttons

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Man-of-Mystery
I remember mainly PoW check strides and jackets (worn as separates or as a suit). In some cases the PoW check had a thin red or orange chalk stripe as a counter-check, almost like a superimposed window-pane check, but it was very very subtle, a bit like this:

2074.Suitings_HW%200666_12-13oz_Light%20grey%20prince%20of%20wales%20and%20red%20o%20check%20(soft%20finish).jpg

But no Rupert Bear nonsense.

Oh, good old POW - love it. There were always checks around similar to POW for decades (possibly centuries but I haven't time to look), often in tweedy colour schemes etc (as well as the black and white with red or blue pin stripe).
Around 70-ish though, did the checks get gradually more bold and colourful over the next year or so, or was it subtle POW then BANG! Rupert the bear (and all of its garish variants)?

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think Ruperts may have been a London thing, they was nothing like POW or Dogtooth, material or patten.
They was very light weight material, Pastel colours with a feint check a subtle POW patten, These was very cheap trousers, would fall apart after a couple of weeks and went out of fashion by the end of the summer
These trousers are fairly important as it was a transition period, moving away from stay-prest.
I have mentioned these trousers before, later skinheads had heard or read we wore Ruperts and assume they are the Noddy Holder loud bright check, which they was not,
I know Harry who gets on here knows what iam on about.

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think Ruperts may have been a London thing, they was nothing like POW or Dogtooth, material or patten.
They was very light weight material, Pastel colours with a feint check a subtle POW patten, These was very cheap trousers, would fall apart after a couple of weeks and went out of fashion by the end of the summer
These trousers are fairly important as it was a transition period, moving away from stay-prest.
I have mentioned these trousers before, later skinheads had heard or read we wore Ruperts and assume they are the Noddy Holder loud bright check, which they was not,
I know Harry who gets on here knows what iam on about.

Could be another Area variation of the main theme,Lasttye.Even though I was in Guildford,I was in Town nearly every Weekend-Shopping,catching up with old Mates and Clubbing.Still trying to think about these Strides.1970 I had a POW Suit(I know in an earlier Post M-o-M you said you would have liked one).The Light Grey with Navy Blue Pattern.

Brideshead

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by browniecj
Could be another Area variation of the main theme,Lasttye.Even though I was in Guildford,I was in Town nearly every Weekend-Shopping,catching up with old Mates and Clubbing.Still trying to think about these Strides.1970 I had a POW Suit(I know in an earlier Post M-o-M you said you would have liked one).The Light Grey with Navy Blue Pattern.

I must say I had not heard of them until I started hanging around these forums. I do not recall them.

I stayed pretty true (in the trouser department) to the Squire Shop with a short flirtation with Stirling Cooper around 1973. Mainly lightweight wools and tweeds.

Ikouja

Reaction score
I've been growing my hair out a bit lately, but I don't really know the exact way to get my hair cut in an Ivy League style, that very short haircut with a part. MoM I think you have one in all your pictures, any tips I could have for my barber?

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ikouja
I've been growing my hair out a bit lately, but I don't really know the exact way to get my hair cut in an Ivy League style, that very short haircut with a part. MoM I think you have one in all your pictures, any tips I could have for my barber?
One and a half inches all over?

bunty

Reaction score
I thinks it was MoM who mentioned the difference in music played at northern and southern clubs -

Soul002.jpg

Page 107

Soul001.jpg

Page 108

Black Music In Britain - Edited By Paul Oliver (1990)

Open University Press
Celtic Court
22 Ballmoor
Buckingham MK18 1XW

By the way...... Please watch from 8.35 to 8.50
laugh.gif
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAR4M...yer_detailpage

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads