• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

GraphicNovelty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
arw/kelv/chrono we should get drinks after work one day

jwied82

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master-Classter
ok, serious topic. Why is it that so many guys who are at least passable with their getups just totally lose it with the footwear? I see so many decent business, biz casual, and SW&D looks that are fine until I get to the feet and then it all falls apart.

is it pricing? availability of good stuff? a matter of taste?

in my experience girls definitely do notice your shoes, it's not just a stereotype

ive thought about that myself. I think its a combination of availability and price (mainly availability though)

bows1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the LV Zenith Ankle boot in Moka is beautiful in person. Shot a style blogger for a commercial and he was rockin them. Was surprised to see how nice they were.
SeLpx.jpg

bows1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been working up the courage to try my hand at the chrono-roll

ok, serious topic. Why is it that so many guys who are at least passable with their getups just totally lose it with the footwear? I see so many decent business, biz casual, and SW&D looks that are fine until I get to the feet and then it all falls apart.

is it pricing? availability of good stuff? a matter of taste?

in my experience girls definitely do notice your shoes, it's not just a stereotype

Talking about the super wide flat bicycle toe black kenneth coles that 99% of people in suits wear?

wEstSidE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

bitches smell money but that's all. the nose isn't fine tuned for taste.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bows1
Talking about the super wide flat bicycle toe black kenneth coles that 99% of people in suits wear?
well yeah, that - decent fitted suits, non-gaudy ties and shirts, but then obnoxious long flat square shoes. Even streetwear looks where it's a polo and khakies, which is a 'ok I'm making an effort' look but then like terrible running shoes or sketchers or some ****.
Originally Posted by wEstSidE
bitches smell money but that's all. the nose isn't fine tuned for taste.
maybe Hermes Man is onto something (LV monogram black shoes) to try answer my own question, I think the problem is not that there's a lack of ok shoes but rather that there's just too much noise with BAD shoes so it's too hard for the half-educated dude to sort through it all and find something acceptable. There's just so much *********** store that's poorly selected, overpriced, etc that he's bound to walk out with some crap.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
leading me to another discussion topic. the importance of buyers. Now I know local stores like Holt Renfrew and Harry Rosens here are overpriced, but it's my opinion that the simple fact taht they have buyers in place who put in some effort to curate the offerings means that even an idiot with some money will walk out of the store with something that's decent, whereas you have to be very selective and educated to walk out of a Sears/Bay/mallbrand store with anything that's good. Your odds are just lower because there's more crap to sort through. MY point is, the onus should lie with the store to select good merchandise to make the customer's (mental) job easier. Instead the stores too often get lazy and don't hire good buyers so their customers just look like **** because there's nothing good to choose from. There's this shoe store here called Little Burgundy and I love them. It's so obvious that they've selected shoes from each line carefully, priced them well, their staff know what they're doing, etc. It's a pleasure to shop there. When I walk in, I can just see that work has gone into picking the right shoes to build a collection. /rant

wEstSidE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
maybe Hermes Man is onto something
hermes man (the styleforum poster and the blogger) both got some insight. i remember one post or blog post by hermes man where he talks about wanting to get to the mall as early as possible to buy something expensive so that he could walk around with the bag. ******* let me go all out here. how could a busy (important) man have that luxury? just walking around the ******* mall all day. but his point is that these dumbass individuals don't know or don't care. spoiled brat is just as well. it's the same H on the joint.

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
the LV Zenith Ankle boot in Moka is beautiful in person. Shot a style blogger for a commercial and he was rockin them. Was surprised to see how nice they were.
Nice, is the back pattern as subtle as it is in that picture?
to try answer my own question, I think the problem is not that there's a lack of ok shoes but rather that there's just too much noise with BAD shoes so it's too hard for the half-educated dude to sort through it all and find something acceptable. There's just so much *********** store that's poorly selected, overpriced, etc that he's bound to walk out with some crap.
I've seen many ladies steering their men towards bike/square toes because they look "trendy" and "formal" (0)

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KitAkira
I've seen many ladies steering their men towards bike/square toes because they look "trendy" and "formal" (0)

This is the exact reason why my first pair of formal shoes six years ago were some square-toed Kenneth Cole joints.

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
Now I know local stores like Holt Renfrew and Harry Rosens here are overpriced, but it's my opinion that the simple fact taht they have buyers in place who put in some effort to curate the offerings
Really? No, not really. Harry's doesn't "curate" anything at all. It's pretty indiscriminate. Holts, I'm sure, does for some of the lines, but a lot of it is such garbage that there's nothing really to be done and I doubt anyone really bothers. Even their buys of things like McQueen (basically anything with a skull on it for brand id purposes), Prorsum (LET'S BUY NOTHING BUT TRENCHES) don't make much sense. The Jil buy here this winter was ok but it was tiny so they really had to pick and choose, and basically found the most understated stuff possible. Henry Singer here does a better job with Lanvin, and are willing to take a swing at some stuff - it's all going on sale on Thursday, I'm a have to stop in.

Meis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

and I swear 2/3 of them go for the loafer version, which is even more hideous

jwied82

Reaction score
Even streetwear looks where it's a polo and khakies, which is a 'ok I'm making an effort' look but then like terrible running shoes or sketchers or some ****.

the ******* worst. hate skecthers so much.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

SeLpx.jpg

LV gets slammed a lot on Styleforum, but the materials and manufacture of most of their stuff is impeccable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads