• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fit of first MTM shirt

Richard Pryor

Reaction score
This is how it ended up looking like.

DSC04633.jpg

DSC04636.jpg

DSC04638-1.jpg

DSC04637.jpg

DSC04635.jpg

I think it's a little tight in the chest. Arm width seems perfect. What about sleeve length?

I also see some excess fabric on the sides, but it feels pretty tight as it is.

Thanks.

erk

Reaction score
I can't tell anything from these blurry photos, I need to see a youtube video of some jumping jacks, windmills, and overhead presses.

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very nice! Sleeves are a tad short. The chest needs just a little more. Also, I'd take the hips in a little, but I may be mistaken, since you seem to have wide hips.

erk

Reaction score
I do think the sleeves could be a bit longer.

Richard Pryor

Reaction score
Cool!

Pretty happy with the result overall. I think I could nail the fit in 2 tries.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
looks pretty solid. sleeves could be a bit longer (might shrink after first wash) collar looks too small shoulders might be too wide, just a hair chest and waist look fine overall good, just some minor tweeks needed. wash 2-3 times and check the fit again

Grenadier

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Richard Pryor
wow.gif

The third picture made it appear like he was having to pleat/fold the shirt when he tucked it in.

tombking

Reaction score
Quick question guys. If you guys say that he needs to lengthen his sleeves, then why does the shirt bunches up around the elbow?

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
that's normal bunching. There's always a bit. plus with slim sleeves they'll start to stack with more use, making them permenently hang too short. also after a few washes tehy'll probably shrink a little too. lastly, if he's wearing a sportscoat or suit, chances are the sleeves will be too long so better to have the shirt sleeve a little long so cuff shows, and as you extend the arm the sleeve cuff doesn't pull up too much...

Richard Pryor

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master-Classter
that's normal bunching. There's always a bit. plus with slim sleeves they'll start to stack with more use, making them permenently hang too short. also after a few washes tehy'll probably shrink a little too. lastly, if he's wearing a sportscoat or suit, chances are the sleeves will be too long so better to have the shirt sleeve a little long so cuff shows, and as you extend the arm the sleeve cuff doesn't pull up too much...

So the 'perfect' sleeve length would be one where it reaches the end of my wrist when I'm extending my arms like in this picture?

DSC04637.jpg

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
IMO, yes. When the cuff is unbuttoned, I like my shirt to just hit the V of my thumb, ie about 1.5-2 inches longer than the end of my arm/wrist, so with a little bunching at the elbow, shrinkage, etc, when I extend my arm, the cuff doesn't move (but there's no extra slack).

that's a personal preference, I hate cuffs pulling up like you've shown there. especially with a SC/suit because then I have to deliberately reach in and pull them down again.

also, a trick of mine is that if you find there's some billowing out at the placket (with MTM you should be able to get it quite narrow here so it shouldn't be the case), I get my placket button moved over slightly to trim that part of the sleeve.

Richard Pryor

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master-Classter
IMO, yes. When the cuff is unbuttoned, I like my shirt to just hit the V of my thumb, ie about 1.5-2 inches longer than the end of my arm/wrist, so with a little bunching at the elbow, shrinkage, etc, when I extend my arm, the cuff doesn't move (but there's no extra slack).

that's a personal preference, I hate cuffs pulling up like you've shown there. especially with a SC/suit because then I have to deliberately reach in and pull them down again.

also, a trick of mine is that if you find there's some billowing out at the placket (with MTM you should be able to get it quite narrow here so it shouldn't be the case), I get my placket button moved over slightly to trim that part of the sleeve.

Great info, thanks!

Realistically, though, you never get to extend your arms like that IRL (other than driving... and I drive without my suit jacket on). Also, considering that a person who gets MTM shirts will also have his suit jacket cuffs altered, there's also little chance his jacket cuffs will be too long, as you said in an earlier post.

But given the fact that the shirt will shrink with a couple of washes, I will lengthen the cuffs as per your suggestion.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads