• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Would you mix the trouser and jackets of these two suits?

cpadude

Reaction score
I have two BB suits which I very much like so far. I plan on making this solid navy and solid gray the foundation of my suit wardrobe. What are your opinions of having the exact same suit in two different colors being the two 'workhorse' suits of a wardrobe?

Are they so similar that people might think I am wearing the same suit?

As a separate question, would you wear the navy jacket with gray trouser and vice versa?

Are BB suits fused or stitched? I'm not sure of the model, but the suits retail for ~900.

Thanks Much

ykurtz

Reaction score
Suit jackets make poor sport coats 'as is' so it's probably not a good idea to wear the grey slacks with the navy jacket and vice versa.

The great thing about grey and navy solid suits is that you can switch up your shirt/tie/pocket squares/shoes to give yourself a unique look on a daily basis. You should consider adding a patterned suit into the mix as you branch things out, since you really shouldn't wear just 2 suits in a situation where you need to wear suits daily for work. Suits need to 'rest', so to speak, between wearings. There's plenty of sage advice already in this forum re: the staples for business so I won't rehash that here.

Most people won't even notice the suits (unless they are new or represent a dramatic change from what you normally wear to work). People will notice your tie/pocket square/shoes and comment on those items, since the there are probably a multitude of people wearing navy or gray suits on around you (I assume you work in a traditional professional environment). Those things are what people notice/remember the most.

You didn't mention shoes in your post, but that is where you should seriously consider putting $ into. Nothing ruins a good/great suit more than cheap/crappy shoes. So invest there, and keep them shined!

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
for a suit jacket to double as a sportcoat, it helps if it has a (non-pinstripe) pattern, IMO.

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I don't see any pinstripes so the navy jacket will look good with the grey slacks. But not the other way around.

william

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I say no to the mix and match idea. Sportcoats, because of their casual nature should be made from informal cloth like linen and tweed. Suit coats used as sportcoats looks confusing.

jackmccullough

Reaction score
From the photo the two suits look identical, but it's hard to see details in something that dark.

I wouldn't worry about having two similar suits in your regular rotation. I would not wear either suit coat as a sports coat--it will be an obvious orphaned suit coat.

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
A myth is being perpetuted here. That is a solid navy suit. Unless you prefer brass buttons on your blazers, there is nothing preventing the navy jacket from being worn as a blazer. It is not cut differently, and the fabric is perfectly appropriate for wear as a blazer.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Harris
A myth is being perpetuted here. That is a solid navy suit. Unless you prefer brass buttons on your blazers, there is nothing preventing the navy jacket from being worn as a blazer. It is not cut differently, and the fabric is perfectly appropriate for wear as a blazer.
+1. And no to grey on blue.

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
amen, AHarris! I would wear that navy jacket with a pair of tan or light grey flat front trousers, no doubt about it.

I also like your choice in suits-- two classic, timeless investments. well done! Without seeing closeups of the buttonholes and lapels, hard to judge the construction, but i notice the shoulders and sleeves are still basted. HIGHLY recommend sending them to a good tailor for functional sleeve buttons, which in my opinion makes a good suit look even better. I usually mail mine to a tailor in Atlanta, who ships them back to me in proper suit boxes.

lakewolf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think there is nothing wrog wearing the blue jacket as and sports coat, but I prefer the navy sports coat with some texture in the fabric and horn buttons.

yoyo

Reaction score
I don't mind wearing suit jackets as odd jackets, but a navy jacket and grey trousers is the look of security guards.

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yoyo
I don't mind wearing suit jackets as odd jackets, but a navy jacket and grey trousers is the look of security guards.
True, but only if you combine them with a crappy white polyester shirt and an equally crappy polyester tie. Shoes, shirt, tie and pocket square with some colour (and of some quality) will make you avoid the security guard look. I've seen the blue jacket with regular horn buttons and grey flannels a lot in France - it seems to be interchangeable with a suit for businesswear.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads