• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Minarchist
What's the deal with pant sizing? Flipping through B&S I can see a lot of, say, Mabitex trousers all marked size 32 that vary from 15" flat to 16.75". That's a 3.5" delta! I could understand that with used (and therefore tailored) clothing, but it's all NWT. It doesn't seem to be different lines, though I could be wrong about that. Even if it is, should there be that much variance in a single manufacturer?

They really do just vary quite a bit. I think those made for the European market tend to be smaller than those for the American market. Certain styles may be looser fitting than others as well. Plus of course there could be a small amount of variance in the method of measurement between different sellers.

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by 1969
What pants would pair well with a black and white houndstooth sportcoat?

There's not much love for black, or even navy odd trousers here in SF land but IMO your coat would go well with either. Black or white polo, or white open neck shirt to go with black trousers for casual events. White shirt and burgundy grenadine tie to go with navy trousers at work. Very light khakis or even linens for a spring look if the coat is lightweight but as it's roots are in tweed it leans more towards a cooler weather jacket.

Minarchist

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum
They really do just vary quite a bit. I think those made for the European market tend to be smaller than those for the American market. Certain styles may be looser fitting than others as well. Plus of course there could be a small amount of variance in the method of measurement between different sellers.
It was all in the same thread, but I'll just assume that's how much they vary. Thanks for the response. The US/EU thing makes sense anyway, bunch of lardos that we are.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ianiceman
There's not much love for black, or even navy odd trousers here in SF land but IMO your coat would go well with either. Black or white polo, or white open neck shirt to go with black trousers for casual events. White shirt and burgundy grenadine tie to go with navy trousers at work. Very light khakis or even linens for a spring look if the coat is lightweight but as it's roots are in tweed it leans more towards a cooler weather jacket.

Thanks, navy or black trousers is the only thing that came to mind. I could live with the former.

lenahan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Minarchist
What's the deal with pant sizing? Flipping through B&S I can see a lot of, say, Mabitex trousers all marked size 32 that vary from 15" flat to 16.75". That's a 3.5" delta! I could understand that with used (and therefore tailored) clothing, but it's all NWT. It doesn't seem to be different lines, though I could be wrong about that. Even if it is, should there be that much variance in a single manufacturer?

US and EU sizes are different. i.e. a US 50 is an EU 60, and the Japanese sizing system also differs. But I think the other issue is the fit was meant to be different. It is like comparing a slim fit and non slim fit. I am a large individual, and on more than one occasion I have purchased (say, 2 weeks in between), trousers in the same size from the same co, and one of them does not fit. For instance, OTR DJ trousers are far tighter than Suit Trousers from the same co. Think about this: If a manufacturing were going for a more Italian style, the fit would be tighter than, say, J. Press, which is one of the great champions of the Sack suit style.

Scotty

Reaction score
What pants would pair well with a black and white houndstooth sportcoat?

Blue or black jeans work, too, if you like to wear a sports coat with it (I do).

bjorken

Reaction score
Anyone have a recommendation for a pair of leather weekend bags for him and her.
In other words, two similar bags, the only difference should be that the female bag is a little smaller.

Budget : 1000 USD for both.

ezlau

Reaction score

avicii

Reaction score
Anybody have any recommendations on plain oxfords that won't break the bank? I really like the John Varvatos Dress Oxfords. I want something that's fairly stylish: no square toes, slightly low and round. Any suggestions?

runsurfswim

Reaction score
Originally Posted by avicii
Anybody have any recommendations on plain oxfords that won't break the bank? I really like the John Varvatos Dress Oxfords. I want something that's fairly stylish: no square toes, slightly low and round. Any suggestions?

I'd like to second this, or something like it. I need a good pair of starter shoes that can be worn with basically anything, since I don't have a bank to speak of, but I have a lot invested in my appearance.

ezlau

Reaction score

That shown in the picture is actually a derby if I'm not wrong (seperate piece of leather for laces). You could easily get Allen Edmond's type plain oxford on the FS:Men's Clothing forum if you lurk enough for under $100.

Smudge

Reaction score
If you are in US, then AE seem to be well regarded. You might also like to have a look at http://www.herringshoes.co.uk there plenty of non-bank breaking oxfords to choose from there. The consensus seems to be if buying Loakes, go for their 1880 range. Have a look at their "Sale & Seconds" too; often a bargain or two to be had there. Other online retailers with decent followings here are Plal and Pediwear.

avicii

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ezlau
That shown in the picture is actually a derby if I'm not wrong (seperate piece of leather for laces). You could easily get Allen Edmond's type plain oxford on the FS:Men's Clothing forum if you lurk enough for under $100.

Originally Posted by Smudge
If you are in US, then AE seem to be well regarded. You might also like to have a look at http://www.herringshoes.co.uk there plenty of non-bank breaking oxfords to choose from there. The consensus seems to be if buying Loakes, go for their 1880 range. Have a look at their "Sale & Seconds" too; often a bargain or two to be had there. Other online retailers with decent followings here are Plal and Pediwear.

Thanks for the recommendations on AE's. To me, AE's are a little too conservative for me - I'm looking for something that is a little more rounded and has a lower profile. I was looking on yoox and found these four that I'm interested:

Thompson - $120

NAIF - $175

Doucal's - $225

Pollini - $265

Yoox has a 15% off a free shipping coupon that expires tomorrow so I'm pretty antsy about ordering one of these. I searched around in the forums and could only find one or two people that have Thompson, Doucal's, or Pollini's - everybody said they were of good quality. I couldn't find anything at all on Naif. Of the four, I'm leaning towards the Thompson and Pollini's, but between the two I'd have to go with the Thompson since its half the price. Thoughts?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads