• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New 'top drawer' Church's range?

Nick V.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Here are two models from Chruch's new line built on the number 137 last along with their custom shoe trees.

Church's Goer

Reaction score
As the name suggests, I have a fondness for the company. Not just because of the shoes, but because my family has resided in Northamptonshire for countless generations and because my Mum works for Church's. In March I got a tour of one of their finishing floors outside of Northampton. The people who make these shoes have a lot of pride wrt what they do. I was wearing a pair of RM Williams boots (quite proudly) and they started to make fun of how botched the stitching was on them. Guess I should have gotten some proper Chelsea boots instead.
facepalm.gif

I am supposed to get a tour of the actual factory in Northampton in August when I head back over the Pond and am new to the shoe game so I will try to find out answers to any questions I can if you have them. I doubt I can get my hands on any of these new shoes since my budget is limited to what I can score in the factory store. And no, I cannot proxy any at this point either. Who knows what the future has in store though.

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nick V.
Here are two models from Chruch's new line built on the number 137 last along with their custom shoe trees.

When will Church's buy the machine that is capable of making channeled soles? Perhaps after several hundred idiots spend £620 on these shoes...

Leather man

Reaction score

Nick, thank you so much for the pictures - now we can see what we are talking about. I like the full brogues very much indeed.

Whilst I do think at this price ( not sure what the trees are worth - say £100, so £630 -100 = £530) the sole stiching should be hidden I can shed some light on why Church's don't do it. It was in a conversation with Dean Girling that I found out the reason - Dean Girling said that back in the day when Church's concealed the stiching on many of their shoes they got so many complaints from uneducated customers ( shoewise!) about the flap lifting with wear that in the end they gave up concealing the channel stiching. Dean was telling me this because Gaziano and Girling are getting a lot of complaints in a similar way - customers seem to think when the flap lifts a little , as it often does at the toe, it is a manufacturing fault. Dean said he could quite understand why Church's just walked away from the whole business of concealing the sole stiching.

From the picture of the sole it looks like there is a mild bevel on the sole - a nice touch.

countbaron

Reaction score

Nick

It goes without saying that the utterances of old men such as Ichie cannot be taken seriously; nevertheless I have often wondered why Church's don't channel some of their soles for the sake of easy profits

Channelled soles are worth nothing from the functional point of view but they are seen by many high end customers as a quality indicator so it would seem good business to add it just for the sake of it. You said you had a contact in Church's, can you ask him/her what is the company's rationale for not providing this feature.

Tell him/her that hundreds of orders will follow once this issue is settled
smile.gif

countbaron

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Leather man
Nick, thank you so much for the pictures - now we can see what we are talking about. I like the full brogues very much indeed.

Whilst I do think at this price ( not sure what the trees are worth - say £100, so £630 -100 = £530) the sole stiching should be hidden I can shed some light on why Church's don't do it. It was in a conversation with Dean Girling that I found out the reason - Dean Girling said that back in the day when Church's concealed the stiching on many of their shoes they got so many complaints from uneducated customers ( shoewise!) about the flap lifting with wear that in the end they gave up concealing the channel stiching. Dean was telling me this because Gaziano and Girling are getting a lot of complaints in a similar way - customers seem to think when the flap lifts a little , as it often does at the toe, it is a manufacturing fault. Dean said he could quite understand why Church's just walked away from the whole business of concealing the sole stiching.

From the picture of the sole it looks like there is a mild bevel on the sole - a nice touch.

I must confess that despite being a 'semi-educated' customer I really hate it when the flap starts to come off the toe tips in some shoes after the first day of use

However this is not universal, so I assume that there are different ways to conceal the stitches; some of them being more amenable to wear and tear than others- maybe not

emptym

Reaction score
...they got so many complaints from uneducated customers ( shoewise!) about the flap lifting with wear that in the end they gave up concealing the channel stiching. Dean was telling me this because Gaziano and Girling are getting a lot of complaints in a similar way - customers seem to think when the flap lifts a little , as it often does at the toe, it is a manufacturing fault. Dean said he could quite understand why Church's just walked away from the whole business of concealing the sole stiching.
That's very interesting. I remember when I first saw a shoe w/ a closed channel and thought they were glued and thus poorly constructed.

Originally Posted by countbaron
...Channelled soles are worth nothing from the functional point of view but they are seen by many high end customers as a quality indicator so it would seem good business to add it just for the sake of it...
I thought it had been settled here by DWFII and other makers that a covered channel does something (perhaps minimal) to prevent water from wicking into the sole and thus helps to prevent rot, etc.

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Interesting!

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by emptym
I thought it had been settled here by DWFII and other makers that a covered channel does something (perhaps minimal) to prevent water from wicking into the sole and thus helps to prevent rot, etc.

honestly, i would like to see a picture of a rotted sole on a pair of shoes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics