• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Women in suits: a bad idea?

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yachtie
One of the things making it a women's jacket.

worldsbesttailor.jpg

Xenon

Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
It wasn't a dis, just a simalie. She is definitely not a size 8 or 6 though. .

A true US size 4 is about a 22" waist which is extremly unusual. Most models have about a 24-25" waist which is what that woman appear to have.

Are you personally robbing the cradle perhaps?
laugh.gif

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
She's older than I am! She buys a size 4, I have bought her things in a size 4. Certain brands she can fit into a 2 as well.

tgt465

Reaction score
worldsbesttailor.jpg

Don't know about the vest, but it looks like you can pack a decent amount of boobage in that jacket chest.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tgt465
Don't know about the vest, but it looks like you can pack a decent amount of boobage in that jacket chest.

teh drape.

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
worldsbesttailor.jpg

A flared skirt alone does not a women's jacket make. Keep trying. And no, waist supression doesn't do it either.

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kevinsp8
When I think of a woman in a suit, this is what comes to mind. Often with costumey details like spats, etc.
facepalm.gif
cynthia-nixon-christine-marinoni-suit-tie-dress-formal-event-table-dining-smile-pose-dressed-up-lesbian-relationship-photo.jpg

Eeeewwwww!
crazy.gif
Teh **********ing dyke isn't teh good example either.

Loathing

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
The problem with everything posted is that it all represents an almost ironic application of a man's suit (fabric, detailing, even cut in some cases) to a ************. I personally don't find that approach appealing and am not surprised that it often doesn't look good.

To me, the ideal woman's suit embraces the fact it is intended to be worn by a woman. The fabric should be different, often in less sober, more feminine colors, or in bolder, more flamboyant patterns. The design and details should be less concerned with implying functionality (no vents, no breast pocket, no flaps, etc.). Details can also be less orthodox, and include things like: bracelet-length sleeves without buttons, shawl lapels, single-button closures, etc.

And it should always be a skirt suit. Showing some leg never hurts. Also, the jacket can be worn over an open-neck blouse or camisole, instead of a dress shirt.

Generally, think more Chanel, and less Armani. I'd never want to dress like a woman, so I have trouble understanding the appeal of a woman dressing like a man.

Wow. What a surprisingly backwards view. I find skirt suits reflect the taste of sleazy male bosses rather rather than embrace women. A suit should do for a woman what it does for a man. A real woman will wear trousers with quiet confidence & sophistication, and she'll make my panties wet in the process.

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Come again?
Beeman's suit (that you pictured) is a pretty typical UK men's cut. Dege does a jacket like that. It's not indicative of much by itself. So are we talking about women's suits or women **********ing? (I have comments for either)
mwink[1].gif

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yachtie
Beeman's suit (that you pictured) is a pretty typical UK men's cut. Dege does a jacket like that. It's not indicative of much by itself.

You alluded that the flared skirt and hacking pockets make the woman's suit in the one photo a women's suit. I was just providing an example that a flared skirt and hacking pockets have nothing to do with the gender of a suit. It does however give the illusion of wider hips as seen on the same woman with the thin frame.

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You alluded that the flared skirt and hacking pockets make the woman's suit in the one photo a women's suit. I was just providing an example that a flared skirt and hacking pockets have nothing to do with the gender of a suit. It does however give the illusion of wider hips as seen on the same woman with the thin frame.
True , which is why those features are often incorporated in women's tailored jackets. But, as you point out, that's not the only place they appear.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Loathing
Wow. What a surprisingly backwards view. I find skirt suits reflect the taste of sleazy male bosses rather rather than embrace women. A suit should do for a woman what it does for a man. A real woman will wear trousers with quiet confidence & sophistication, and she'll make my panties wet in the process.

^^^ Ig'nance and the worst sort of juvenile faux liberalism.

A skirt suit is the classic format of business suit for women. By the strictest business formal standards, a woman is supposed to wear a skirt suit, not a pant suit. In fact, if you've bothered to observe, women in positions of power commonly wear skirt suits. Hillary Clinton is ridiculed for her pant suits precisely because it is not the norm.

Moreover, if you haven't noticed, men and women have different sorts of bodies. It's only to be expected that different sorts of clothing will best flatter those bodies.

Anyway, I could make the equally stupid argument that you are a chauvinist for thinking that a woman must dress like a man to appear confident and sophisticated.

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Loathing
Not doin' it for ya'?
il_570xN.249788689.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads