• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lasttye
Got the Book Gangs of Manchester, Not finished yet, but one thing sticks in my mind, It said the Scuttlers was not Criminals, The crimes they committed was against Lads like themselves, That was the same as us Original Skinheads, I got nicked 13 times, All related to Gangs, Except once when i got nicked attempting to nick a Car, Well it was my mate who tried , I was just standing there Lol.. after getting my ticket for the Chelsea V Watford Semi Final 69/70 Season.
I have never had time for Thieves or Gangsters or anyone that breaks the Law. We was good lads, The Old Bill Nicked us for fcuk all back then,

Saw a free Film,over the Weekend,regarding "Villains from the East End".In it was the Guy,cannot remember his Name,that talked about the size of the Check(British Style Genius),denoted you being a Leader etc.He was still the same 40+years on.Into Fights etc.Making out he was a top Boy.It never moves on with some People.

ian-b

Reaction score
Originally Posted by browniecj
Saw a free Film,over the Weekend,regarding "Villains from the East End".In it was the Guy,cannot remember his Name,that talked about the size of the Check(British Style Genius),denoted you being a Leader etc.He was still the same 40+years on.Into Fights etc.Making out he was a top Boy.It never moves on with some People.

He's called Alan Mortlock, Google him and see what he's all about. If you run into him remember to tell him he's talking a lot of crap. LOL.

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ian-b
He's called Alan Mortlock, Google him and see what he's all about. If you run into him remember to tell him he's talking a lot of crap. LOL.

I think I would do so... just very politely.

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Man-of-Mystery
I think I would do so... just very politely.

Just Googled the Lad, fair play to him getting in the cage for a MMA fight..at 55, Still dont know where he got the idea about checks and gang status though, Mind you he would have been only 13 in 69, so just about squeezes into being a skinhead. In saying that some people claim to have been a skinhead at the Age of Ten in 69.

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bunty
More from 'Folk Devils...'

page 200

P1010308.jpg

page 201

folk003.jpg

Bunty these pics have been deleted.

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ian-b
I will take your Point,but why Debut at 55 into Unlicensed Boxing.Back in the late 70/early 80s I did Security at these and Independent Boxing Bouts(around East London and Essex).They were not a pretty sight.Roy"Pretty Boy"Shaw,Lenny"The Guv`nor" all fought at these Bouts.Massive punch-ups would erupt if a certain section of the Fans`Boy,did not win.There were also very large amounts of Cash changing hands(betting etc.).Alan Mortlock has been good to People-just look at some of the comments but.....

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by browniecj
I will take your Point,but why Debut at 55 into Unlicensed Boxing.Back in the late 70/early 80s I did Security at these and Independent Boxing Bouts(around East London and Essex).They were not a pretty sight.Roy"Pretty Boy"Shaw,Lenny"The Guv`nor" all fought at these Bouts.Massive punch-ups would erupt if a certain section of the Fans`Boy,did not win.There were also very large amounts of Cash changing hands(betting etc.).Alan Mortlock has been good to People-just look at some of the comments but.....

I would not go to one Colin, Their is often trouble at Pro Boxing, fcuk that, Regarding Alan Mortlock, never heard of him until reading this thread this morning, I googled him apparently he has found Jesus, We had a Sgt in the Army who also found God, They transferred him to a Desk Job
biggrin.gif

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Regarding why debut into a unlicensed fight, dont know mate, maybe finding Jesus, has something to do with it, only the man himself knows.

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In the my original Post,I wrote about the Film"Villains Of The East End".Most of them came from Canning Town,Stratford,Plaistow etc.Some of them I had heard about or met-whilst working at the Palais in the 70s.Mr Carter(the then Manager) knew a lot of these Faces and would entertain them on Monday evenings(Grab A Granny Night).Alan Mortlock was on the outer ring(Ind.Boxing Promoter).We had a couple of his Promotions at the Palais.Apart from that nothing-only when he appeared on British Style Genius.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
any of you original fellas wear staprest by Brutus back in the day?

or any other brand for that matter? I know there were several companies that did a perma-press stride but they've never talked about other than Levis

didnt Brutus announce they might remake their staprest? not that it means much considering how long it's taken them to release "announced" shirt designs
musicboohoo[1].gif

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
any of you original fellas wear staprest by Brutus back in the day?

or any other brand for that matter? I know there were several companies that did a perma-press stride but they've never talked about other than Levis

didnt Brutus announce they might remake their staprest? not that it means much considering how long it's taken them to release "announced" shirt designs
musicboohoo[1].gif

To be honest Jason,I could never wear Levi Sta-Prest because they cut in around the Crutch Area.I do not remember Brutus ones-but then I never wore any of their Gear anyway.

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lasttye
Grab a Granny Night. Thats funny.
Over 25s Night.That was the official Line,but then we let in 19/20 year olds(Girls/Young Women)-so the older Men flocked in.The older Women used to get right p*ss*d off about it.
laugh.gif

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have just read the Piece(written about Alan Mortlock)in the Sunday Telegraph-2003.He is talking about `77,when there was Ruck in the "Room At The Top".The Club was about 8 Floors up,and you had to get in by Lift.That particular Night someone went out through the Windows.The Club had a very bad Reputation.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads