• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Downtown Los Angeles Bars

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
I'm headed to LA soon for work and would like to experience some retro places while I am there.

No doubt this is because of the influence of films like Chinatown, The Big Sleep, LA Confidential and even Swingers, but I definitely would love to hit up some bars with the cocktail culture / speakeasy vibe. We will be staying and working in the downtown area and in looking at Yelp, it appears the types of joints I'm looking for might include The Edison, Seven Grand or The Library Bar.

I'm wondering if anyone here has been to those spots or if there are other places you would recommend?

Thanks!

erictheobscure

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Greetings from downtown. Just leaving the Library Bar--great place but packed in the evenings. You need to add the Varnish to your list. Best cocktail bar around these parts.

And I've found the crowd at 7 Grand intolerable.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Association, Varnish and Edison. Edison gets really packed on the weekends though.

Varnish and Association are next to each other.

I've heard villians tavern is good too. I tried to go but there was a line so I didn't bother. Its out in the middle of nowhere.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Funny, just watched the Big Sleep the other day. You'll want Edison in that case.

Yeah, Cole's/Varnish since they're next door to each other.

I have mixed feelings about 7 Grand because of the clientele depending on the night; on some of the busier nights, I've had to deal with being behind douchebags trying to decide between a couple of cosmos or some fruit cocktail that takes 45mins to make. On the other hand, they do have good whisky although they tend to charge a few bucks more than other whisky bars. Good live music.

Same goes with Library Bar. I've gone a handful of times but the 9-5 desk jockey happy hour vibe has never kept me around for long.

If you're looking for something somewhat "underground," check out Villain's. Scene is a little younger, the cocktails are ok, but the atmosphere is pretty cool.

The Redwood is also somewhat of a good older "dive." It's from an era where writers from the Times would phone in their work from the bar itself (and the direct line phone still exists.) Good live music.

The Golden Gopher would also fit that downtown dive category.

If you're around Chinatown, there's Mountain Bar. The cocktails aren't anything special, it's just a popular unassuming place to grab a drink.

There are a couple of other places around that are good but don't quite fit in what you're looking for. For example, if you get a chance check out Wurstkuche. Decent beer menu, great sausages and fries. Prepare to wait a bit, though. Angel City Brew just opened down the street, too.

Saltricks

Reaction score
Edison, Library Bar, Seven Grand, Irish Pub on the Way to Library Bar from Seven Grand

These are my spots I frequent. Awesome times.

Re read posts: Number one spot should be the edison for you.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whodini
The Redwood is also somewhat of a good older "dive." It's from an era where writers from the Times would phone in their work from the bar itself (and the direct line phone still exists.) Good live music.
watch it junior, that wasn't THAT long ago. also, i used to work in a building that had a loading dock/smokers lounge on the alley where the edison is now. in those days, even though the city would come through and steam-clean it once a week, that alley was so foul that people quit smoking rather than use it. just another indicator of how much downtown la has changed.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by foodguy
watch it junior, that wasn't THAT long ago. also, i used to work in a building that had a loading dock/smokers lounge on the alley where the edison is now. in those days, even though the city would come through and steam-clean it once a week, that alley was so foul that people quit smoking rather than use it. just another indicator of how much downtown la has changed.
By the sound of it, you were probably the same guy who complained when they upgraded from the telegraph.

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
I get way more of a date-**** douchebag vibe at wurstkuche than at any other place mentioned. What kind of hot dog place has a DJ and club lighting, not to mention using multiple animals ("ohh, you can really taste the crocodile and the rabbit") in each hot dog? Oh yeah, the kind started by USC grads. My recs being sent via pm

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
By the sound of it, you were probably the same guy who complained when they upgraded from the telegraph.

just couldn't leave well enough alone, could they?

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mordecai
I get way more of a date-**** douchebag vibe at wurstkuche than at any other place mentioned. What kind of hot dog place has a DJ and club lighting, not to mention using multiple animals ("ohh, you can really taste the crocodile and the rabbit") in each hot dog? Oh yeah, the kind started by USC grads.

My recs being sent via pm

UCLA was your second choice, I take it?
Originally Posted by foodguy
just couldn't leave well enough alone, could they?
laugh.gif

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

If you're around Chinatown, there's Mountain Bar. The cocktails aren't anything special, it's just a popular unassuming place to grab a drink.

I'd skip Mountain Bar and go to Hop Louie which, like Redwood, is an authentic L.A. dive. Though nothing in today's LA is as divey as 80's Hollywood. I once saw a guy smoking crack in the corner of the Frolic Room (circa 1987) and then immediately assault someone that looked at him funny.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
We are @ library bar right now

Stop by

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Don Carlos
We are @ library bar right now

Stop by

I'm not in LA yet, but go back next week and I will!

It would be cool to get the chance to meet up with some fellow Forumites during my trip.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I think mordecai is here

There's a really fruity looking guy with glasses and a plaid shirt

I think it's mordecai

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads