• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or just downright pissed, RIGHT NOW!

BP348

Reaction score
Originally Posted by GreenFrog
damn landlord won't return our security deposits!! i emailed them. no response. my roommate emailed them. no response. i called them. no response. i left a voice message. no response.
ffffuuuu.gif

Just wondering, did you and your roommates do a walkthrough of the apartment with the LL and do some kind of paperwork that showed any/all preexisting problems with the apartment prior to moving in? If so do you still have a copy of that paperwork? Did any one go through the apartment before you moved out, hopefully with the LL and document any/ all problems when you moved out? By chance did you take pictures? If not then you're probably going to eat the security deposit and any legal fees for the LL if you take the LL to court. Very hard to prove you left the apartment in decent condition unless you have some type of documentation. Plus the LL isn't obligated to let you back into the apartment and even if he did he could claim he fixed and/or cleaned the problems you and your roommates caused or left behind. From your posts right now I think it's a he said she said kind of thing and if the LL states you left the apartment dirty so he used the deposit to have the apartment cleaned what do you say to disprove that? I lost a deposit one time because the LL stated I broke one slat in a window blind and in her opinion the carpets were dirty. In the end it was going to cost me more then the $500 deposit even if I won my case. Hope you win but unless you have your ducks in a row a lot better then what you've stated here I don't see you getting your deposit back.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BP348
From your posts right now I think it's a he said she said kind of thing and if the LL states you left the apartment dirty so he used the deposit to have the apartment cleaned what do you say to disprove that?

I lost a deposit one time because the LL stated I broke one slat in a window blind and in her opinion the carpets were dirty. In the end it was going to cost me more then the $500 deposit even if I won my case.

In most states, can't landlords not withold anything more than the actual cost of repair?

Dirty carpets are questionable since a fair amount of wear and tear is expected (especially if you are there for more than a year) and the landlord should probably be cleaning them before the new tennants move in no matter what. Even if they try to pin it on you (and the burden of proof is usually on them) it doesn't cost that much.

A broken slat in a window blind also shouldn't cost anywhere near a security deposit.

Basically unless the landlord can prove damage beyond wear and tear *and* provide documentation for the costs of the amount withheld, they can't keep your money.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I just had a chubby girl criticize the healthiness of my lunch in the elevator...
plain.gif

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
I just had a chubby girl criticize the healthiness of my lunch in the elevator...
plain.gif

did she criticize it while she ate it out of your hands?

BP348

Reaction score
Originally Posted by otc
In most states, can't landlords not withold anything more than the actual cost of repair?

Dirty carpets are questionable since a fair amount of wear and tear is expected (especially if you are there for more than a year) and the landlord should probably be cleaning them before the new tennants move in no matter what. Even if they try to pin it on you (and the burden of proof is usually on them) it doesn't cost that much.

A broken slat in a window blind also shouldn't cost anywhere near a security deposit.

Basically unless the landlord can prove damage beyond wear and tear *and* provide documentation for the costs of the amount withheld, they can't keep your money.

I just bought my first rental house so that a good question, I'll have to check into it.

As for the rest, a friend had a brother who worked for a local attorney and I went off of what he told me. It would be a small claims court issue but even still the LL would send their lawyer and if I lost I would end up paying the attorney fees not counting all the fees associated with taking the LL to court. So in the end I chalked it up as a life lesson and learned to keep a lot better records and ensure I took before and after pictures.

mr.orange

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
board to deth @ work. even the internet has ceased to be interesting @ this point
plain.gif

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mr.orange
board to deth @ work. even the internet has ceased to be interesting @ this point
plain.gif

me 2 bro, me too.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Subtitles for non-fiction books.

They are either "the true, untold story" of something, or they have "how XXX, changed the world, brought us to something, and recreated the landscape" or otherwise just go on and on...

And the problem is they become annoying to read after awhile. Keep it pithy and they are ok or useful. I love British books that don't use semicolons and subtitles. It makes me want to pick up a copy and keep reading.

Moreover, when you have a subtitle,then you have to expect that that book will in someway be a reflection of the content. And what so often is the case is that it doesn't so you've added a bunch of meaningless tripe and completely diluted your title, the first point of contact with a book, and likely its most important, and then you fail your readers so it is a double whammy.

pteroaltum

Reaction score
Originally Posted by in stitches
why do some people think that some minimal inconvenience means they are entitled to free stuff?? sometimes **** doesnt go exactly the way you expected it, im sorry and i will do everything i can to make things right. but that does not entitle you to whatever the **** you want.
Part of "the customer is always right." Annoying, yes; but you can always say, "No, I can't do that unfortunately. <smile> Things happen sometimes, and I'll do my best to make it right." It gets the point across without getting the client angry. And those that (repeatedly) do not get the point need to be expunged from your premise. It is a for-profit venture; so those that do not provide a return are not our target clientele. Their retention is moot. I've had to expunge a few "free-loaders" in my time and most of them call back to apologize, to which I laugh politely and say, "Don't worry about it. I wouldn't have acted any differently had it been me. Come back and I'll do something special for you." Lesson learned. Mutually beneficial for both parties. Part of doing business. ^_^ Of course, this is all assuming that you've already gone beyond your duties to provide said service.

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BP348
Just wondering, did you and your roommates do a walkthrough of the apartment with the LL and do some kind of paperwork that showed any/all preexisting problems with the apartment prior to moving in? If so do you still have a copy of that paperwork? Did any one go through the apartment before you moved out, hopefully with the LL and document any/ all problems when you moved out? By chance did you take pictures?

If not then you're probably going to eat the security deposit and any legal fees for the LL if you take the LL to court. Very hard to prove you left the apartment in decent condition unless you have some type of documentation. Plus the LL isn't obligated to let you back into the apartment and even if he did he could claim he fixed and/or cleaned the problems you and your roommates caused or left behind.

From your posts right now I think it's a he said she said kind of thing and if the LL states you left the apartment dirty so he used the deposit to have the apartment cleaned what do you say to disprove that?

I lost a deposit one time because the LL stated I broke one slat in a window blind and in her opinion the carpets were dirty. In the end it was going to cost me more then the $500 deposit even if I won my case.

Hope you win but unless you have your ducks in a row a lot better then what you've stated here I don't see you getting your deposit back.

My landlord got back to me saying they were sorry for the delay. Apparently they were at the wife's sister's wedding so I guess I should have given them the benefit of the doubt.

The wording of the email sounds like theyre going to deduct a couple hundred because of cleaning purposes, which is fine.

But I don't think this will drag out. We'll probably get $1200 back, or $400 each.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pteroaltum
Part of "the customer is always right." Annoying, yes; but you can always say, "No, I can't do that unfortunately. <smile> Things happen sometimes, and I'll do my best to make it right." It gets the point across without getting the client angry. And those that (repeatedly) do not get the point need to be expunged from your premise. It is a for-profit venture; so those that do not provide a return are not our target clientele. Their retention is moot.

I've had to expunge a few "free-loaders" in my time and most of them call back to apologize, to which I laugh politely and say, "Don't worry about it. I wouldn't have acted any differently had it been me. Come back and I'll do something special for you." Lesson learned. Mutually beneficial for both parties.

Part of doing business. ^_^

Of course, this is all assuming that you've already gone beyond your duties to provide said service.

yes that is generally the idea.

in the situation i was dealing with the customer purchased an item which turned out to be out of stock for a few days. they did not pay for delivery, they were going to pick it up themselves. when the item came in i offered them free deilvery to make up for the extra wait. they now want the item delivered for free plus ANOTHER OF THE SAME ITEM FOR FREE. this is the bullshit i was talking about. i will do my best to accomadate you but when you start trying to take advantage thats where i draw the line.

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
The Greatest Political Subdivision in the History of Mankind is holding televised hearings on redistricting. Two things have been of severe annoyance.

1. Obese, slovenly people testifying in sweat-stained t-shirts front of the Legislature of the Greatest Political Subdivision in the History of Mankind. And with apologies to my many lefty friends on here, they are invariably liberal. Gentlemen, you're on TV and you're trying to get an important message across. Would it be that difficult to dig the button-down shirt your grandma gave you out of the closet and run an iron over it?

2. Florida factors prison populations into its voting districts, in spite of the inability of most of those populations to vote.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
we are clearing out our house of stuff we don't need or won't &quot;go&quot; in our new house. some of it is pretty decent stuff - hand-me-downs or other furniture we bought that is of good quality, lots of clothes, some of it new with tags, toys, other hostess gifts etc that we didn't ever really want or use, but much of that new in the box, old glassware sets, etc. Some of it even like Ethan Allen quality stuff - won't get much love on the Style Forum but is well-put-together stuff. A few other items weren't necessarily in plum condition but were perfectly functional; e.g. a kitchen table and chairs that the dogs had chewed on a little and needed a fresh coat of paint but still highly serviceable.

So I borrowed a pickup truck the other day and took a truckload down to the Salvation Army. The one guy there was obviously really slow and not very friendly or cooperative, but after I started unloading stuff and putting it where it belonged he started helping. Another guy came out and looked more capable so I said a friendly hello as I was putting stuff out.

Anyways, the second guy starts chastising the first, saying to him in a manner I can obviously hear &quot;you know when they pull up with a truck it's all junk&quot; and refuses to help, even as I'm pulling down an Ethan Allen coffee table. He's harrassing the other guy saying &quot;how long have you been working here? Who do you think is gonna have to throw all this stuff in the garbage? why are you helping him move that stuff?&quot;

the whole ******* exchange was so irritating but I didn't want to take the stuff to the dump because that would have wasted my time and also have been wasteful that I forgot to get a receipt - I could have written off a few hundred bucks because I could easily have gotten that just taking it down to one of those local estate auction places. So maddening to have what you might have perceived as a good deed ruined by some lazy asshole who just didn't want to have to unpack boxes of clothes and other tchochkes.

mr.orange

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by in stitches
me 2 bro, me too.

chea man I'm reduced to reading this month's GQ, at least it's got some interesting articles.

Originally Posted by pteroaltum
Part of "the customer is always right." Annoying, yes; but you can always say, "No, I can't do that unfortunately. <smile> Things happen sometimes, and I'll do my best to make it right." It gets the point across without getting the client angry. And those that (repeatedly) do not get the point need to be expunged from your premise. It is a for-profit venture; so those that do not provide a return are not our target clientele. Their retention is moot.

I've had to expunge a few "free-loaders" in my time and most of them call back to apologize, to which I laugh politely and say, "Don't worry about it. I wouldn't have acted any differently had it been me. Come back and I'll do something special for you." Lesson learned. Mutually beneficial for both parties.

Part of doing business. ^_^

Of course, this is all assuming that you've already gone beyond your duties to provide said service.

what special things to these customers get?

And for the record, when I worked in a restaurant (years ago) I did this all the time without the supervisor's permission. I would basically give **** away so customers would leave me alone lol

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Douglas
we are clearing out our house of stuff we don't need or won't "go" in our new house. some of it is pretty decent stuff - hand-me-downs or other furniture we bought that is of good quality, lots of clothes, some of it new with tags, toys, other hostess gifts etc that we didn't ever really want or use, but much of that new in the box, old glassware sets, etc. Some of it even like Ethan Allen quality stuff - won't get much love on the Style Forum but is well-put-together stuff. A few other items weren't necessarily in plum condition but were perfectly functional; e.g. a kitchen table and chairs that the dogs had chewed on a little and needed a fresh coat of paint but still highly serviceable.

So I borrowed a pickup truck the other day and took a truckload down to the Salvation Army. The one guy there was obviously really slow and not very friendly or cooperative, but after I started unloading stuff and putting it where it belonged he started helping. Another guy came out and looked more capable so I said a friendly hello as I was putting stuff out.

Anyways, the second guy starts chastising the first, saying to him in a manner I can obviously hear "you know when they pull up with a truck it's all junk" and refuses to help, even as I'm pulling down an Ethan Allen coffee table. He's harrassing the other guy saying "how long have you been working here? Who do you think is gonna have to throw all this stuff in the garbage? why are you helping him move that stuff?"

the whole ******* exchange was so irritating but I didn't want to take the stuff to the dump because that would have wasted my time and also have been wasteful that I forgot to get a receipt - I could have written off a few hundred bucks because I could easily have gotten that just taking it down to one of those local estate auction places. So maddening to have what you might have perceived as a good deed ruined by some lazy asshole who just didn't want to have to unpack boxes of clothes and other tchochkes.

you live in baltimore right? this is pretty standard service in most parts of town. so yes i know exactly what a blood boiling experience it can be.

Originally Posted by mr.orange
And for the record, when I worked in a restaurant (years ago) I did this all the time without the supervisor's permission. I would basically give **** away so customers would leave me alone lol

haha, im not exactly talking about french fries.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads