• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Site Topics - Part II

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by oneeightyseven
to JMRouse: but what about all the people who will like the half naked women in the appreciation threads? or the stupidity in the pink tie/panera threads. liking that and having that among the most popular threads/comments on the site would be a little embarrassing and weird, wouldnt it?

I was just speaking in general terms of how a system like this could be used on a web forum like SF. There seemed to be a lot of confusion on what a "like" system is and how it could be used. You bring up a good point, but I would guess that the mods would have the ability to prevent that from happening if it does. They would still have full moderation controls, I am sure.

Plus, I suspect DT would be left out of the loop in this area.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Lag today. Dunno if it's because of the spammers

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
srsly, is there a way to get out a psa to all members not to reply to spam? is it so hard to just let it go. i know you guys try hard enough to get rid of it. when people keeping bumping it up to the top of the page its just dumb and annoying. AND NEVER FUNNY, whether you joined today or in 2002.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JMRouse
I was just speaking in general terms of how a system like this could be used on a web forum like SF. There seemed to be a lot of confusion on what a "like" system is and how it could be used. You bring up a good point, but I would guess that the mods would have the ability to prevent that from happening if it does. They would still have full moderation controls, I am sure.

Plus, I suspect DT would be left out of the loop in this area.

Considering how the star rating is used, rendering it pretty useless, I don't have high hopes for the "like" system. The more I think about it the less I, well ... like it. I'm not a typical user of the internet, but a "+1" (bandwidth issues aside) is actually part of a conversation. "lefty likes this" seems to be for people who can't communicate and better suited to 12-year-old girls named Tiffany.

lefty

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
If we didn't have the star system, there would be no way for Piob's threads to always instantly get rated one star. It would be like a little part of SF had died.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lefty
Considering how the star rating is used, rendering it pretty useless, I don't have high hopes for the "like" system. The more I think about it the less I, well ... like it. I'm not a typical user of the internet, but a "+1" (bandwidth issues aside) is actually part of a conversation. "lefty likes this" seems to be for people who can't communicate and better suited to 12-year-old girls named Tiffany.

lefty

The idea is that the system, used properly, would make a good resource for noobs and casual visitors. Note that there is no "dislike", and that this was purposefully built to discourage abuse. I can't check right now, but I think that you can tell who liked what as well, so that makes users more accountable.

Originally Posted by Manton
If we didn't have the star system, there would be no way for Piob's threads to always instantly get rated one star. It would be like a little part of SF had died.

Haha. I wonder if we could just not allow likes for Piob's threads, at all.

Finally, for those who have been on the beta system. Yes, the actual forum will be much faster. Right now, we are running off some internal servers at the developers. However, the actual forum will be getting a lot more juice.

Bhowie

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
The idea is that the system, used properly, would make a good resource for noobs and casual visitors. Note that there is no "dislike", and that this was purposefully built to discourage abuse. I can't check right now, but I think that you can tell who liked what as well, so that makes users more accountable.

Haha. I wonder if we could just not allow likes for Piob's threads, at all.

Finally, for those who have been on the beta system. Yes, the actual forum will be much faster. Right now, we are running off some internal servers at the developers. However, the actual forum will be getting a lot more juice.

Glad to see Kunk was consulted.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bhowie
Glad to see Kunk was consulted.
I like your new avatar. Did you take that picture at the last meetup of the Jr. Mouseketeers?

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I know we're not supposed to reply to spam threads so can I get some clarification on this:
Mephedrone (4-MMC)Methylone (bk-MDMA)Bulytone (bk-MBDB)MDPV,JWH-018 /JWH-250,TFMPP,MDAI We are premium supplier of 4-MMC/Mephedrone. 99.9% pure 4-MMC/Mephedrone (4-Methylmethcathinone) that can transform your garden.
I need to get Edina something for his birthday. This might be right up his alley.

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With the move to the new forum, is it possible to leave certain members behind? It would be like tying them to a tree and go on to the new place..

It would be fun to see some lone individuals posting on the old forum
smile.gif

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm upset I didn't get to test the new site.

Is there a way to perhaps, have all n00bs with "ls" or "la" as their first two letters be approved? Might cut down on spam

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edinatlanta
I'm upset I didn't get to test the new site.

they have to stresstest the FAILwall before they can let you in, dont worry..

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nootje
they have to stresstest the FAILwall before they can let you in, dont worry..

Oh well in that case... Good call (YET AGAIN) from the mods. They are the antithesis of Edina.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads