• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NYC Neighborhood Discussion

45elkton

Reaction score
Gents,

I am moving to NYC and was hoping to get your input as I begin to start apartment hunting. My most important considerations are being in a place with a good nightlife/cultural/food scene and being somewhat convenient to commuting to Wall Street/WTC area. I don't want to live in a dump, but I am not overly concerned with amenities or space. I will have a roommate and $3k looks to be about our ceiling. We are leaning towards East Village, Union Square and Gramercy at the moment. Only looking in Manhattan.

Your insight and recommendations would be appreciated.

-45E

changy

Reaction score
Anywhere below 80th is pretty convenient, but it doesn't sound like you would be interested in UES or UWS so I'd stay below 59th. Avoid financial District at all costs.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
$3k total, or each? If that is total, expect to live in a studio with each other that is the size of a small walk-in closet.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
$3k total, or each? If that is total, expect to live in a studio with each other that is the size of a small walk-in closet.

I don't think that's accurate at all. $3,000 is enough for very decent one-bedroom.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Downtown? You sure? I am sure he isn't going to want to live in the same room as his roommate though...

45elkton

Reaction score
Hey guys, $3k for the whole apartment

Patrick- appreciate the input, however I know several people living in the neighborhoods I spoke of paying less than $1.5k/person in two or three bedrooms. I believe our expectations are fairly reasonable.

Changy- you are right, we are probably not as interested in UES/UWS. Not interested at all in midtown either.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
Downtown? You sure? I am sure he isn't going to want to live in the same room as his roommate though...

Oh, I assumed he was talking about a wife or girlfriend. No, $3,000 total won't be enough for a two-bedroom.

But do think a one-bedroom, whether uptown or down, can certainly be had for $3,000/month--give or take a hundred here and there depending on how nice you want the place to be.

changy

Reaction score
$3000 is doable for a 1 bedroom. You can share that with a partner or convert to a 2 with no/tiny living room.

Neighbourhood wise, I can only think of Chelsea and LES in addition to the ones you mentioned

ClambakeSkate

Reaction score
East Village is do-able for that price I'm sure.

Do you need elevators or doormen or anything like that?

I would look at Chinatown and LES as well if you want to be near nightlife. However, depends on what type of nightlife you're looking for. These days, even in LES, the wall streeters pretty much rule manhattan Thurs-Sat, so you'll be able to find your peers anywhere.

People who are saying $3K is unreasonable are probably living in doorman buildings with gyms and **** like that.

SoCal

Reaction score
I'm moving to New York in a couple of months from Australia and am leaning towards Greenwich Village. It is close to the other places I am considering (East Village, Lower East Side, etc.) but looks a bit nicer. I am mainly looking for somewhere nice and close to good nightlife/food/entertainment. It looks like I should be able to find a one bedroom place within my budget (around $3,000 per month).

Peter1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You're on the right trac -- I think East Village and points north on the East Side are your best bet. LES -- housing can be really crappy. Gramercy proper is pricey, but east end may be in your range. Union Square...limited housing in immediate area, but again, look east toward East Village. I wouldn't be afraid going up to Murray Hill. It's a quiet place to live and convenient to downtown. Definitely get your finances and records in order and be prepared to drop 3 months' rent to start (first, deposit, brokers' fee or last months' rent.)

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
1 bedroom convert to 2 for 3K is definitely possiblee. LES is better hang out area

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads