• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^Yes, or at least the first 4 books of it.

limping_decorum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
they can pull off dragons......but they can't pull off direwolves?

**** that.

Brian SD

Reaction score
Maaaan that was a strong ending. I wanted more to happen throughout the episode though. Guess I had some futile dreams of a headless Joffrey.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NorCal
Maybe it is b/c I knew what was coming but I honestly thought the last scene was a little weak. I would have liked to see more of a huge ******* fire and dany emerging hairless from the coals still glowing in the dark but I can't really complain.
I rewatched the last scene last night and I have to agree. It was just so anti-climactic. The way he writes about the cracking noises being ear shattering and her walking from the smoldering wreckage hairless but unharmed. I think some of it had to do with the look on her face. It looked more ashamed or confused rather than defiant or proud.

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
I rewatched the last scene last night and I have to agree. It was just so anti-climactic. The way he writes about the cracking noises being ear shattering and her walking from the smoldering wreckage hairless but unharmed. I think some of it had to do with the look on her face. It looked more ashamed or confused rather than defiant or proud.

Naked/covered in ash/against a green screen for CGI dragons, probably hard to pull off the emotions exactly. Also imagine she wouldn't have been super-enthusiastic about shaving her head for one scene, although I guess they could CGI that too.

fir3fox

Reaction score
The hair is the first thing that popped into my mind too when I first saw it, but whatever. I guess that's what I get for reading the books first, most of my gripes come from my comparisons with the way things went down in the book. I'll get over it.

The dragons weren't bad, I didn't mind them. So much better than the direwolves/dogs issue.

I wish the would have placed the King of the North scene toward the end with the other jump off points w/ Dany and the Black Watch marching.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
I liked this episode especially Khaleesi's rack. Still I remain pissed I have to wait until Spring 2012 to see Season 2. WTF HBO?

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan
I liked this episode especially Khaleesi's rack. Still I remain pissed I have to wait until Spring 2012 to see Season 2. WTF HBO?
Ugh me too.

munchausen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think one place where the show is dropping the ball is in the characterization of Joreth (sp?). I didn't read the book past the first few chapters but I get the impression that there's a world of conflicting emotions in Joreth that the show kind of whizzed by. It's hard to express someone's silent emotions in a series, especially a minor character, but for some reason I am really interested in him. He reminds me of a character you would find in Dune or the like.

Saturdays

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They needed to expand a bit more on the three eyed crow, Bran and the "skinchanging" ability, even though it was only mentioned in second book. I know its a small thing, but its what makes his character.

The real issue was the implementation and portraying of that scene, imo.

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Saturdays
They needed to expand a bit more on the three eyed crow, Bran and the "skinchanging" ability, even though it was only mentioned in second book. I know its a small thing, but its what makes his character.
The real issue was the implementation and portraying of that scene, imo.

there is a spoiler book thread for this...

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
Who?

Think he means Ser Jorah. Very cool character in the show, and I'm sure they will expand on him in future novel/seasons. His father is Jeor Mormont, Jon's commander who gave him the sword, that was actually meant for Jorah.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by munchausen
Danaerys's sidekick/henchman.

EDIT: Jorah, not Joreth.

Even in the HBO production, it is noted he is the son of the current Lord of the Night Watch, and that he fled the King's justice due to selling some criminals marked to join the Night Watch. Also, here's a minor spoiler:

There's really no need to develop his character much past this point. He'll be gone by the middle of S2.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads