• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

License Plate Screws

Lafont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's a question almost everyone here might relate to. Just transferred my license plates from old car to new car and was reminded I just have the screws for the top of each plate. I realize most people don't screw in the bottom of the plates (I suppose it used to be standard but people have gotten lazier/cheaper in this regard). I'm thinking for this spanking new car I might buy the four screws and use them.

Question is if having each plate screwed in all four corners preserves the plate longer or is it just an aesthetic thing? Does a metal license plate last longer when secure in all four corners? Since we no longer have to get new plates every year condition does make a difference. Right now I've got the usual dealers' plate holder, which is the usual cheap plastic.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
does a license plate last longer when secured in all four corners? probably- if the plate gets hit or sideswiped. otherwise two screws should do the job.

as an aside, if your area has incidences of license plate theft it'd be a good idea to have the screws changed to flat head allen screws, and apply some thread lock before screwing them in for good measure.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acidboy
as an aside, if your area has incidences of license plate theft it'd be a good idea to have the screws changed to flat head allen screws, and apply some thread lock before screwing them in for good measure.
I second this.

Lafont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Turns out I had to go to the BMV to get new plates and they sold me four more for under two dollars. So be they useful or not the cost was negligible.

Lafont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I've got the four new screws and am rarin' to go in screwing them on the front and back of the new Camry, and I find the car doesn't even have holes to use for the bottom screws! Guess that must be quite standard and hence I'm seeing so many license plates screwed in only on top....
I also noticed on the PT Cruiser I sold my son the plate in front is screwed in on top, but the plate in back only can be screwed in on othe bottom! What the H!

Lafont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I use two plates. The dealer's frame is sort of cheesy but I like what it says. At the moment I'm relatively happy with the dealer and I love the community the dealer is located in, which is my Cleveland Heights.

Otherwise I'd get higher quality frames, as I usually opt for higher quality things of all kinds.
I also note lots of plastic on the car. I wonder how high up one needs to go to get real metal. The salesman said the hubcaps are plastic, though I know some Camry's come with alloy. Actually, I have to check to verify my exact model is indeed plastic.

I had plastic on my PT Cruiser and I recall how they cracked.

OldGeezer

Reaction score
My plate was put on by the dealer and they only used the top screws. It seems secure.

Lafont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes. Now I'm looking around at cars of different years and finding many older ones accomodate for only screws on the bottom.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lafont
So I've got the four new screws and am rarin' to go in screwing them on the front and back of the new Camry, and I find the car doesn't even have holes to use for the bottom screws! Guess that must be quite standard and hence I'm seeing so many license plates screwed in only on top....
I also noticed on the PT Cruiser I sold my son the plate in front is screwed in on top, but the plate in back only can be screwed in on othe bottom! What the H!

The dealers drill the holes for the plates...so this just means you lazy dealer only drilled 2. Remember there are states that don't require a front plate and countries with different shape plates so it makes sense to leave the bumper undrilled until the car is sold (and some people don't want plates in standard places if they are going to be adding things to their car).

Its more secure with 4 and won't get bent as easily but 2 should do the job. I would ditch any sort of license plate holder (they aren't really holders since they don't support it...just frames) that advertises for your dealer as well as remove any stickers they put on your car. Actually I would make it a part of my agreement with them when I bought the car...no extra decals.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Odd, I typically get new plates when I get another car.

cshim

Reaction score
I noticed the screws rust over time. Anyone find a way to prevent it?

Lafont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I see rather junky stuff got stuffed into my thread here. For shame, Styleforum!
devil.gif

East2West

Reaction score
Originally Posted by RSS
Odd, I typically get new plates when I get another car.

I'm not implying that youd be concerned with such small dollar amounts, but you can typically avoid DMV tag fees that the dealerships like to tack ln by transferring your old tag to the new vehicle. People lime to do this if the #s are good or with a vanity plate.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by East2West
I'm not implying that youd be concerned with such small dollar amounts, but you can typically avoid DMV tag fees that the dealerships like to tack ln by transferring your old tag to the new vehicle.
I'll check into this next purchase! A dollar is a dollar.

Originally Posted by East2West
People lime to do this if the #s are good or with a vanity plate.
I've never cared for vanity plates (too vain) but I do get attached to certain combinations of numbers and letters. Thanks for the tip.

Of course there are some plates I would rather have avoided. I remember having the plate STD 365

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads