• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Fun" socks for the office - yay or nay?

Flame

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was just wearing red recycled yarn beauty & youth socks to lunch with a couple of close friends.

Now I've always been the guy in the office to wear fun socks daily e.g. argyles, bright colors, stripes, polka dots etc. Never been called out before. In fact just had a quick 20 mins meeting with the region's VP today. He didn't say anything about my socks either.

However during lunch, my close buddy commented on how my socks are "unprofessional". Is he right? I work in accounting, he's in corp finance, we both work in Singapore where office style is either really boring and ill-fitted or too tight and metrosexual. And nobody wears "fun" socks.

bimmy

Reaction score
depends on the socks and the outfit.

if the socks stand out because they clash then they are probably unprofessional.

Lightbringer

Reaction score
You're going to stand out in Singapore. How your office takes this is largely a matter of office culture and work environment unfortunately

Flame

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My boss hasn't commented at all (4-5 months @ current job). In fact, I like that it's a great convo starter with office ladies / women I go out with after work.

So given the circumstances, should heed buddy's advice?

East2West

Reaction score
If you are more remembered after your meetings for your socks than what you presented, then I'd say wear something else. Save the color for you tie/squares.

Lightbringer

Reaction score
I suspect that wearing a square will get you more notice than fun socks. Dare I ask what industry you are working in?

PS: I will be returning from the US to SG in August so if you want anything proxied as in your sig, do tell me and we can sort something out.

Flame

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm actually an intern for Thomson Reuters. 1 more month before going back to school for my final year. No point in wearing pocket sqaures because almost no one here wears a suit. Too hot.

Lightbringer

Reaction score
I was under the impression that some of the offices were very frigid? I know it's incinerating the moment you step outside though.

I'd toe the line slowly with the socks. But then again, if you look at some of the shirts other people wear in Singapore (floral, weird details everywhere), I doubt anyone will care about mere patterned socks.

ThatGuy

Reaction score
Singaporeans dress very gay.

The inclusion of Fun-Socks in the equation would only add to the problem, rather than create one.

Flame

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Is it because of the prevalance of nipple-showing tops with nut-hugging capris, topped off with spiky faux- justin bieber meets a mullet haircuts?

If so, I can understand your point.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flame
I was just wearing red recycled yarn beauty & youth socks to lunch with a couple of close friends.

Now I've always been the guy in the office to wear fun socks daily e.g. argyles, bright colors, stripes, polka dots etc. Never been called out before. In fact just had a quick 20 mins meeting with the region's VP today. He didn't say anything about my socks either.

However during lunch, my close buddy commented on how my socks are "unprofessional". Is he right? I work in accounting, he's in corp finance, we both work in Singapore where office style is either really boring and ill-fitted or too tight and metrosexual. And nobody wears "fun" socks.

To be fair ,when I see guys with fun socks , an prat alarm bell is ringing in my head...

I know it's wrong but i'm thinking the guy is trying too hard at being different.

Wear them casually not at work.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lasbar

Wear them casually not at work.

+1. I don't mind dress socks with a subtle pattern, but not "fun" socks with a city suit. IMO, attention shouldn't be drawn to your ankles.

Makoto Chan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flame
I'm actually an intern for Thomson Reuters. 1 more month before going back to school for my final year. No point in wearing pocket sqaures because almost no one here wears a suit. Too hot.

Since you're an intern, you should be focussed on trying to fit in as a professional-in-training, not stretching the limits of the dress code. So don't wear fun socks. The guys who look good in fun socks on this forum are like serious old guys so they can "pull it off."

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Makoto Chan
The guys who look good in fun socks on this forum are like serious old guys so they can "pull it off."
In the professional circles that my job takes me, not even old guys get away with fun socks or worse, no socks at all.

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Depends on your office, I think yay for our office. But I avoid the ones which play tunes and have flashing LEDs(same for ties), unless there is some special occasion like Xmas or Birthday. You work in accounting, I guess that's rather sober and conservative, so wearing Spongebob Squarepants socks or similar, might not be a good idea.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads