• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Arca from Corthay THE must

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
nvm

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, just wanted to get some information about the sizing of Corthay. My pair of Arcas are a size 11.5 on the 001 last. I am a regular US 10D. I have given some sizing info to some people who sent me PMs. Is my size completely strange, or is their sizing kind of wonky? I have read some old posts wherein people have mentioned that they fit into the same US size as Corthay size, other people say they size down, while still others have said that they size up. Have they changed their sizing system over the years?

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Xenon
this would makes sense in order not to confuse buyers since as noted above aubergine IS french for eggplant.

A really nice color by the way!

oh really i just thort it was only the difference between English and American

Jangofett

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Newcomer
So, just wanted to get some information about the sizing of Corthay. My pair of Arcas are a size 11.5 on the 001 last. I am a regular US 10D. I have given some sizing info to some people who sent me PMs. Is my size completely strange, or is their sizing kind of wonky? I have read some old posts wherein people have mentioned that they fit into the same US size as Corthay size, other people say they size down, while still others have said that they size up. Have they changed their sizing system over the years?

Ya, completely strange.

Corthay is half a size big unless I guess you have narrow feet.
Their problem is compounded cos they do US and European market and marked according to those sizes. So if you know your UK size, and buy a US shoe, its 1.5 size more.

I've got 2 Corthays on the same last. I knew the US one would be 1.5 size more.
When I got both and compared, both were of the same size and the US one was 1.5 size more.

Lobbs always use UK sizing I think and same for Pradas.
I think to avoid all the BS, all shoe makers should just use the Italian sizing and leave the weird Japanese sizing to them.

Some of the Corthays can be frigging tight though. Sene which has an even more ridiculous long last, aint that tight.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by luk-cha
oh really i just thort it was only the difference between English and American

Separated by the same language..

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jangofett
Ya, completely strange.

Corthay is half a size big unless I guess you have narrow feet.
Their problem is compounded cos they do US and European market and marked according to those sizes. So if you know your UK size, and buy a US shoe, its 1.5 size more.

I've got 2 Corthays on the same last. I knew the US one would be 1.5 size more.
When I got both and compared, both were of the same size and the US one was 1.5 size more.

Lobbs always use UK sizing I think and same for Pradas.
I think to avoid all the BS, all shoe makers should just use the Italian sizing and leave the weird Japanese sizing to them.

Some of the Corthays can be frigging tight though. Sene which has an even more ridiculous long last, aint that tight.

Ahh so perhaps the sizing is partially dependent on where you buy them... Interesting. I am going to try a smaller pair again today, just to make sure, but it is quite an unsettling process!

Jangofett

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Newcomer
Ahh so perhaps the sizing is partially dependent on where you buy them... Interesting. I am going to try a smaller pair again today, just to make sure, but it is quite an unsettling process!

I think the Ferragamos have the same problem.

In USA, I have to get the US size which fits me snugly. If I wear the UK size in the US size (which is one size smaller), my feet will end like those Chinese ladies back when dragons roam China.

I think there is the same problem with Guccis too. But Guccis do Italian sizing too. Go figure.
So Gucci has US, UK and Italian sizing and I got all 3! But fortunately all 3 fit.

But if you are rich enough to buy Corthay brand new, no issues for you.
Wait till you meet fritzl in Austria to buy Austrian made shoes. Their sizing is a different thing as well.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jangofett
I think the Ferragamos have the same problem.

In USA, I have to get the US size which fits me snugly. If I wear the UK size in the US size (which is one size smaller), my feet will end like those Chinese ladies back when dragons roam China.

I think there is the same problem with Guccis too. But Guccis do Italian sizing too. Go figure.
So Gucci has US, UK and Italian sizing and I got all 3! But fortunately all 3 fit.

But if you are rich enough to buy Corthay brand new, no issues for you.
Wait till you meet fritzl in Austria to buy Austrian made shoes. Their sizing is a different thing as well.

Thanks a lot for that information, that is really helpful. And yeah, there is nothing quite like buying shoes in the actual store instead of blindly guessing your size online!

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pvrhye
I was all on board for this beautiful shoe until a little research pulled up 4 digits.

I fail to see what the problem is.

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Texasmade
I fail to see what the problem is.

sounds like 4 little problem's

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
You got 99 problems but an Arca aint one.

and what are the 99, or is that an ice cream with a flake in it????

Originally Posted by pvrhye
Just one really. The other 3 are manageable. I suffer from hypoballerneria, which means spending that much cash is detrimental to my health.

remember less is more!!!!!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads