• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Super 8

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One of the most fun movies I've seen in a long time and reminds me of the movies I saw growing up. Sort of like Goonies meet E.T.

Bhowie

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Garbage.

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
sarcasm.gif

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
Just another one of Bhowie's troll posts... don't worry about it.Its supposes to be good, I'll probably see it at home though.

+ the universe

i think it might be good in the theatre, if i have time id probably see it

boogaboogabooga

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bhowie
Garbage.

I'm going to have to agree. If you've seen a contemporary monster movie you've already seen Super 8 ad infinitum. It's the same Hollywood conventions. No hooks, no surprises, and no interesting subtext.

boogaboogabooga

Reaction score
Originally Posted by boogaboogabooga
I'm going to have to agree. If you've seen a contemporary monster movie you've already seen Super 8 ad infinitum. It's the same Hollywood conventions. No hooks, no surprises, and no interesting subtext.
Actually, upon further thought the film not having something potentially going for it isn't true. It could have had a sentimental edge to it if the boy's narrative with his mother, father, friends, and love interest weren't so thin. And even then, its cinematic accomplishment would have been being a paternal redemption/coming-of-age monster film. Either way, still a pretty boring and tedious affair.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Either way, still a pretty boring and tedious affair.
^ Rather like reading your posts. On topic, RubeBabes™ III & IV and I went the other night. It was exactly what I hoped for: two hours of action, loud noise and escape.

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Actually, upon further thought the film not having something potentially going for it isn't true. It could have had a sentimental edge to it if the boy's narrative with his mother, father, friends, and love interest weren't so thin. And even then, its cinematic accomplishment would have been being a paternal redemption/coming-of-age monster film. Either way, still a pretty boring and tedious affair.
Yes, I see this more of a coming of age movie rather than as a monster movie. There is far more character development than a typical monster flick. Also, the movie is more refined than many I've seen of late. What would you consider better recent movies of this genre?

Saturdays

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is a decent movie. Its more about the boy than it is about the Alien.
To tell you the truth, the alien's story would have happened wether the boy was there or not. The alien would have left even if it never met the boy. That is what made the movie very real to me, that it was about a boy and his father dealing with the loss of their mother, amongst a few other plots; but the alien was only in the background and to compliment the story about the boy.

alex99

Reaction score
Either way, still a pretty boring and tedious affair.
Have to strongly disagree with this part. I never felt that the movie stalled. In fact, the pacing was one of the biggest strengths of this film, and it is something Abrams seems to do well. After coming off of a viewing of Tree of Life (now THAT was tedious), this movie moved right along.

boogaboogabooga

Reaction score
Originally Posted by poorsod
Yes, I see this more of a coming of age movie rather than as a monster movie. There is far more character development than a typical monster flick. Also, the movie is more refined than many I've seen of late. What would you consider better recent movies of this genre?

I'm not sure I could. When it comes to recent, the best thing I can think of would be 28 Days Later. That said, I can see zombie films being such a highly defined niche that they are considered something other than a monster movie sub-genre.

The best examples I can think of in the monster movie genre are Jaws and Alien.

Also, what does everyone consider a monster movie? I can see how some people would take exception to Jaws as it's not an alien or some toxic waste mutated animal or myth come to life, but I feel that it counts because of the films conventions.

While I don't necessarily consider character development realizing or aesthetically validating (it's just a part of a whole and contingent on other factors within a narrative. Sometimes characters are more defined and believable because in some ways they don't develop. Moby Dick would kind of suck if Ahab learned to forgive that great white whale), I would ask how the main character developed. He is introduced with a scenario that is an appeal to our emotions. Mom's dead, he's a sweet but obviously sad kid, and he's left with an emotionally stunted father who doesn't comprehend him. Other than having things occur to him and being generally likable, the only thing I can see being emblematic of some internal occurrence are of him communicating with the monster that "bad things just happen" (not verbatim) and subsequently letting go of his mother's locket. He stands up to his dad but is never identified as having suffered cowardice and he forgives his friends and love interest but is never identified as being unforgiving or even that aware of their potential transgressions. If anyone developed, I'd say it was the parents, and once again I'd consider their transformation pretty trite and thin.

boogaboogabooga

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dakota rube
Anyone else catch the similarities to E.T.?

Yeah, I thought it had "Ode to Spielberg" written all over it. It's been over a decade, so I'm probably wrong here, but I actually thought the ship was sort of evocative of Close Encounters and E.T.

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would ask how the main character developed. He is introduced with a scenario that is an appeal to our emotions. Mom's dead, he's a sweet but obviously sad kid, and he's left with an emotionally stunted father who doesn't comprehend him. Other than having things occur to him and being generally likable, the only thing I can see being emblematic of some internal occurrence are of him communicating with the monster that "bad things just happen" (not verbatim) and subsequently letting go of his mother's locket.

I understood this as progression from grief and loss to acceptance. Part of the process of growing up - including scenes such as the zombie hickey, which was really cute. It seems Spielberg knows how to get the most out of his child actors.

Yeah, I thought it had "Ode to Spielberg" written all over it. It's been over a decade, so I'm probably wrong here, but I actually thought the ship was sort of evocative of Close Encounters and E.T.

A friend said he thought the JJ Abrams pitch to Spielberg was "I want to make a movie like the Spielberg ones I grew up with. "

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads