• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alden MTO Forum Group Buy

commodorewheeler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by makewayhomer
just my $.02, but the odds of you ever getting the exact thing you want, when this many variables exist, is pretty low. it will either be a custom makeup with huge upcharge or getting a group of people to absolutely agree with you, which is really hard I can see the lacing being a big deal as that is a functional change that makes a big difference. but opting out b/c of perf cap vs straight cap seems like...well to me that is a "close enough". of course I'm not as particular about small design details as most of you
smile.gif

You make a good point, and I'd be in agreement with you if this were my first pair of rare shell Aldens, but I've owned enough pairs of rare shell Aldens now so that the only way I would be motivated to pick up more is if I am happy with the design details. I was flexible with all of the other options on this boot when it was first being discussed, but I knew from the outset that I would only stay in if the cap ended up being perforated, and stated so when I first posted my interest in this model.
Originally Posted by kgmessier
For those of you sticking with the designs, thank you! For those of you who have decided to opt out, I can understand and you shouldn't feel bad about it. The next step is for me to find out from potential vendors which of them will be able to put these designs to production, how many orders are needed to make it happen, what the cost is, how payment should be made, and what the estimated delivery date would be. I'll see what I can find out over the coming days. As stated earlier, I'll contact Kathy and Steve first regarding the Indy and cap toe, respectively, then (if necessary) seek out other vendors, including Tom at Leather Soul. As commodorewheeler said, there has been interest in a cigar shell boot. Since MTO01 and MTO02 are on the more formal side of the design continuum (leather soles, full eyelets, no broguing, etc.), maybe we can come up with a more rugged boot design to suit the other half of the masses—say, something with a commando sole and speed hooks. Again, this can only work if we come to a consensus. Personally, I'll be pretty flexible in terms of my feature preferences. If you're interested in a cigar shell boot, start listing out your design ideas! - Keith
Like several others who have posted recently, I would vote for the design of the cigar shell boot to be a perforated captoe. I am voting for the Grant last on this one, and I am in favor of double leather soles (I've already preordered some cigar shell Indys on a commando sole), though the sole choice would not be a dealbreaker to me. As far as eyelets go, I'm fine with either, though I'd probably go with hidden ones on the double leather sole and exposed ones on the commando sole if I were forced to choose. I would prefer speed hooks, especially if this one ends up being on a commando sole.

CTYGGG

Reaction score
Voting for MTO01 and MTO02 is closed. Here are the results:

Whiskey Indy

Commando: 4
Leather: 10
\t
Eyelets: 6
Hooks: 5
\t
Hand: 5
Machine: 7

Ravello Cap Toe

Plain Cap: 12
Quarter-Brogue: 7
\t
Hidden Eyelets: 5
Visible Eyelets: 10

I'll update the initial post as well. If you would like to opt out of either of these designs, please let me know ASAP so I can get an accurate final head count.

- Keith

I'm still in on both designs...I'm not going to sweat all the little details. There is really no way to get your dream boot, unless you pay a $200 upcharge and get lucky. My goal is to get a whiskey Indy and a nice ravello cap toe...I hope a retailer is interested in pushing this through. As for the machine stitching on the Indy, that's a moot point from what I remember a big wig at Alden decreed that machine stitching was too uniform when he saw them. Thanks for all the work so far.

kgmessier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, would it be a deal-breaker for anyone on the Indy list if we couldn't get machine stitching? Seems like a less significant feature relative to some of the others, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

- K

CHRK33

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any interest in a cigar or whiskey wingtip boot in grant or plaza last (but would be open to alternatives other than Barrie) with commando sole. And full eyelets. And antique edge. (basically copying Thor's styling of perforated captoe boot)? Hoping I can drum up some interest for that. I spoke with Mike at Epaulet and he said he would definitely be down for a design if we can agree on a design and have 6-8 folks into it.

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by commodorewheeler
You make a good point, and I'd be in agreement with you if this were my first pair of rare shell Aldens, but I've owned enough pairs of rare shell Aldens now so that the only way I would be motivated to pick up more is if I am happy with the design details. I was flexible with all of the other options on this boot when it was first being discussed, but I knew from the outset that I would only stay in if the cap ended up being perforated, and stated so when I first posted my interest in this model.

makes total sense, yes

kgmessier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CHRK33
Any interest in a cigar or whiskey wingtip boot in grant or plaza last (but would be open to alternatives other than Barrie) with commando sole. And full eyelets. And antique edge. (basically copying Thor's styling of perforated captoe boot)? Hoping I can drum up some interest for that. I spoke with Mike at Epaulet and he said he would definitely be down for a design if we can agree on a design and have 6-8 folks into it.
Absolutely. I'd prefer cigar.

CHRK33

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ I am down with that, KG. Come one, come all.
smile.gif

centrix

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SLAB
10r95w7.jpg

this is still IMO the ultimate cigar shell rugged boot; i would only change the all eyelets to speedhooks. Commando soles are practical but the heels of the commando sole are not very appealing imo

i would probably be down with something like this with speed hooks instead of eyelets. probably could put me down as a yes if this is coming. need to know how to do sizing tho.

Jarndyce

Reaction score
I'm backing out of the ravello boot with plain toe. If we do a cigar/ravello boot with a punched cap tho, count me back in.

QTime

Reaction score
whats the price for the mto#1 and #2 upcoming?

sazon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, would it be a deal-breaker for anyone on the Indy list if we couldn't get machine stitching? Seems like a less significant feature relative to some of the others, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

- K

Not for me...still would be in.

Reaction score
Strongly prefer machine stitching on the Indy. Probably out otherwise.

CTYGGG

Reaction score
For all those members who are interested in machine stitching on the Indy boot here's the back story on why it's no longer available...http://theagatineeyelet.wordpress.co...an-vs-machine/

Hopefully this clears up the debate on an option that's not available due to a management decision.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads