• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Streching Shoe Widths

lockey2k

Reaction score
I purchased some shoes recently which are a tad tight. What is the best way to stretch a shoe's width?

Lockey2k

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
get one of those shoe strechers, it will last a lifetime.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah, if you want to do it yourself, either use a stretcher or shoe trees that barely fit in the width (be sure they're not the kind that end halfway up the forefoot and make a line where they stop). You can spray the insides with a water/alcohol solution first to promote stretching. IMO it's better to do this than just wear them because your foot can stretch them in an ugly way, usually by making an "outdent" where your little toe is. A stretcher or tree will do a cleaner job of it.

Or take them in and have them stretched by a pro.

billiebob

Reaction score
I have one of those shoe stretcher thingies (width only). It's the very sturdy german oak and steel model around $40. It applies much more force than any shoe tree. I did them over a week. It wasn't working for a while until I got the leather quite wet. Once the leather got soaked, they stretched out quickly. I'd start slowly.

Stretching shoes isn't something I'd plan to do if the toebox was the problem. The width of the midsole doesn't change, and my toes didn't and still don't fit on it so well. The shoes just aren't as comfortable as they should be.

On a pair of boots (polo holland), the stretchers worked to increase the volume under the vamp very well. This operation was well worth the price alone. So if you have loafers or something with midfoot volume issue, this is the ticket.

lockey2k

Reaction score
The shoe fits snug without socks and super snug with thin socks. I'd like to stretch it to be comfortable with thin socks. Is that doable?

How much does a cobbler charge to stretch a pair of shoes?

mr chorizo

Reaction score
I went to cobbler to stretch a pair of cordovan longwings, but I was concerned to see that he sprayed a light film of alcohol ON the shoe (as opposed to inside it) to promote stretching. the finish definitely looks different now....did this guy ruin my shoes?

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mr chorizo
I went to cobbler to stretch a pair of cordovan longwings, but I was concerned to see that he sprayed a light film of alcohol ON the shoe (as opposed to inside it) to promote stretching. the finish definitely looks different now....did this guy ruin my shoes?
interesting. I have tried the alchohol spray on a pair of calfskin but not on cordovan. I didnt see any changes in color, etc. Could the different look be attributed to the cordovan stretching and not the alchohol itself? I would presume that its now a lighter color. Post pics!

mr chorizo

Reaction score
for me, the changes were more in the luster and finish of the leather...they started out as very shiny and you could really see the color changes in the creases. now they are more matte and less "mirror like." Will try and post pics tonight; I mean the shoes don't look horrific but definitely different from when I dropped them off.

Patrologia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd bet that some serious time brushing them would bring back most of the luster.

Unless you've already done that.
blush.gif

Icehawk

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lockey2k
I purchased some shoes recently which are a tad tight. What is the best way to stretch a shoe's width?

Lockey2k

I'd be careful, I had a pair of suede loafers stretched by a cobbler and they went from looking brand new to looking worn even though the leather itself wasn't visibly damaged. It's hard to describe but you can just tell the shoes have been stretched out and it doesn't look so good to me.

Storm33

Reaction score
^^ That's good to know; I had a pair of suede bals stretched by my cobbler this week. They look great, but still fit snugly so I was wanting to stretch them more. I may just live with them as is since they still look as good as new.

w.o.e.is.me.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't put a whole lot of stocking in stretching.
While it does work, to a degree, Ive never seen a drastic difference that suddenly made the shoes more than marginally more comfortable.

sometimes, you just have to accept that a certain last or shoe is not for you (see: C&Js 360 last)

Zapasman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My "professional" Streching method.

1.-Find a shoe tree from your wardrobe wich has more girth/volume at the ball.
2.-Stick firmly some tape/pads adhesive at the points to be streched.
3.-If needed, put in a thin leather insole to push the leather.
4.-Wet the whole shoe (specially the inside area to be streched) with a streching fluid (I used this product in order not to buy more stuff and mixed it with some warm water).
5.-Use a medium thick shock.
6.-Let it rest for 12 hours.
7.-Put on your shoes for 2-3 hours and then...to the streching room again.
8.-Add some more tape if needed and let it rest overnight.
9.-Wear the shoes for 3-4 hours.
10.-Strech them with more pads if needed.

Be patient and do it little by little.

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I will echo some others: I've had very mixed results with shoe stretching. Your best bet is to find a last that fits better. Absent that, take them to a pro. Good luck!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics