• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Living in a 'Vintage' Apartment?

dmash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sort of a rant/question for you.............long story short, I paid to be in a 'historic' neighborhood as it was definitely the safest/most convenient for me + I only had 1 day to find an apartment as it's the only time I had. There is no central AC, no garbage disposal, no dishwasher, bad water pressure and it was built in like the 50's. This has been the worst experience in my life and I've hated living here after the first week. I'm only paying about $200 more a month at my new place (different city) but it is 200 sqft larger, built in 2008, full clubhouse with gym, pool table, huge pool and jacuzzi, etc, etc.

My question is have any of you guys ever stayed in an older apartment (without normal 2011 amenities) because of the location/price? Did any of you actually enjoy the vintage 'appeal' of it? I would never do this again no matter how much I saved.

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dmash
My question is have any of you guys ever stayed in an older apartment (without normal 2011 amenities) because of the location/price? Did any of you actually enjoy the vintage 'appeal' of it? I would never do this again no matter how much I saved.
I much prefer the ambiance of older places - hardwood floors, plaster, high beam ceilings, French doors, Archways. I can understand why A/C would be an issue where you live, considering the humidity. If you live within 7 miles of the coast in LA you almost never have to run air conditioning. My ex GF and I used to live in a place much like this (sans dishwasher and washer/dryer).
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

erdawe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Your problem is no f'kin AC in Florida's summer right now!!
ffffuuuu.gif
I can't imagine. Can you get a window unit and hang in your bedroom for the heat of summer til fall? Sure! For a single college kid I thoroughly enjoyed my experience at that time living on the top 2nd floor of my 8 unit building built in the 60s. I really enjoyed my place because the smaller living/dining room combo had vault wood panel ceilings, half sphere hanging lamps, huge windows across the entire wall in bedrooms/living room, full panel closets, wood floors. Was cheap with 2nd roommate in separate room. Best addition I didn't know until I got there was a full attic we'd enjoy pleasant smoking after nights drinking. It had oddities of squeeky floors, bad/old countertops, slightly dirty from years of use. Landlord tried to keep them up some. I lived right across from campus, so getting to all those "amenities" you're describing were at the recreation center anyway across the street. Well, not pool tables. Those were in the bars just outside campus. I severely disliked those fancy new huge apartment complexes that try to cater with all amenities and gouge student on cost. Why do you need treadmills, huge pools and gym when that's already included in your tuition and fees at your uni? My tips: I didn't have a dishwasher or garbage disposal either. This meant quick washing dishes/cleaning up as soon as I was done with my meal. It is the easiest way to stay on top of things and keeping your kitchen from becoming a disgusting heap. Do some easy/cheap decorating ideas to personalize your place and liven up the place. Work with the structure and oddities of the old apartment when you do this stuff. Your apartment may have been basically cleaned, but if previous students lived there try to clean/care for it better than you got it. Removing toilet stains, polishing corroded brass cabinet pulls, cleaning chrome on the sink, cleaning grout between the tiles, wiping down dirty cabinets ect. Taking some elbow grease to do these steps make the place look less dingy and more like it's been well cared with some history to it. I don't know the layout/ condition of your place, but I hope this helps in starting to appreciate living in a place that isn't exactly cookie-cutter construction of recent times.
satisfied.gif

dmash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh, clarification.......no CENTRAL AC....I DO have a window unit.
laugh.gif

I cook all my meals (a lot of chicken) so the garbage disposal/no dishwasher is such a killer for me. I also eat around 6-7 meals a day that's why it's such a nuisance to me.

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hopefully I'm past all that ****. I need at least in-unit laundry.

inq89

Reaction score
laugh.gif
I cook all my meals (a lot of chicken) so the garbage disposal/no dishwasher is such a killer for me. I also eat around 6-7 meals a day that's why it's such a nuisance to me.

I have a dishwasher but never used it, was raised to wash my dishes in the sink so I still do. Don't have a garbage disposal unit either. The central AC is pretty important though but I could probably live without it if it was a must. The $200 extra at that newer complex may be worth it if anything for the social aspect with the pool and gym, I'd imagine the girls are plentiful there. 7 meals a day, bulking or an athlete?

yerfdog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
laugh.gif

LMAO

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sort of a rant/question for you.............long story short, I paid to be in a 'historic' neighborhood as it was definitely the safest/most convenient for me + I only had 1 day to find an apartment as it's the only time I had. There is no central AC, no garbage disposal, no dishwasher, bad water pressure and it was built in like the 50's..

1950s? I was offered a house built in 1650 a while back.
facepalm.gif

dmash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by inq89
7 meals a day, bulking or an athlete?

Just athletic.........like to remain around 8% BF year round.

Reaction score
i have none of those amenities right now but i'm in asia. plus mine was built in the 90's and it still haz none of those LOL! i dun even really know how to use a garbage disposal. i just throw my garbage out every night.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I live in a building built in 1927. NO A/C, no dishwasher, no garbage disposal, weird windoy thingy for ventilation in bathroom. Anyway, I installed two window unit A/Cs and hand wash my dishes. I don't mind it.

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love how apartments built in the 50's/60's are described here as "vintage"

ClambakeSkate

Reaction score
I've NEVER lived in an apt with a dishwasher, washer/dryer, central air, garbage disposal, etc. How am I still alive?

js4design

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I definitely prefer it. I lived in a building from the 20's in Raleigh that i really loved, and in a 9 story place built in the 40's in Orlando that had the most incredible view. The oldest place I've lived was a house in Blacksburg, VA in college built in the 1860's I believe. The place was great, but my room was in the uninsulated single room second floor (the attic) and I'd wake up seeing my breath a few months of the year. Even with old appliances, drafts, and painfully small closets, I'd prefer to live in an older place. The newer places I've lived in felt soulless, and sort of sterile.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by willpower
If you live within 7 miles of the coast in LA you almost never have to run air conditioning.

lolwut

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads