• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prof. B. Bear

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tone76
This has been true in my experience as well. Sometimes it's the smaller local charity shops in affluent areas, or near certain precincts, that yield the best hauls. Last week, I scored a Zegna tie for $1 from an op shop near Adelaide's legal precinct. From the same op shop, I also scored a couple of other nice pure silk French ties ('Axe Mod') for $1 each - what grabbed my attention is just how much they resembled Hermes ties. They also had a decent range of shirts (TML, CT), none of which were in my size ... but the Zara I picked up for $7 fits nicely. Adelaide lawyers know how to dress and obviously don't mind purging their wardrobes now and then.
biggrin.gif

The Salvos can be hit and miss, although I think the larger ones in better areas are worth a punt. I almost bought a Zegna sports coat from a local Salvos for $19, but then I realised it wasn't going to fit.
baldy[1].gif
In hindsight, I wish I'd bought it just to flip.
teacha.gif

Once you know what to look for, there's more out there in Op Shop land than you think.

I live in Adelaide's legal precinct and the only op shop I know about is on Hindley st..

tone76

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Prof. B. Bear
I live in Adelaide's legal precinct and the only op shop I know about is on Hindley st..
Think more along the lines of near the Courts. Well, down one of the streets that runs near the Courts (Carrington St). (and welcome, fellow Adelaidian!)

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by California Dreamer
My best find there was a Brioni suit for $80. Elsewhere I found a pure cashmere Hermes jacket for $50.

Sorry I'll have to trump you. I got a Brioni for AUD50 at Lifeline.
lol8[1].gif

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tone76
In hindsight, I wish I'd bought it just to flip.
teacha.gif

Once you know what to look for, there's more out there in Op Shop land than you think.

Flipping is a bit weird too. I've had the devil's own trouble flipping nice stuff like Kiton and C&J - Aussies just don't know these brands. My best luck has been flipping the stuff we wouldn't want but the punters love - Boss, Armani Collezione, etc. No accounting for taste, I guess.

ginlimetonic

Reaction score
Why isn't there a quality rtw store in westfield pitt st sydney.. Brooks, zegna, kiton etc. Things suck here so much I'm going on B&S

JTA

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ginlimetonic
Why isn't there a quality rtw store in westfield pitt st sydney.. Brooks, zegna, kiton etc. Things suck here so much I'm going on B&S

Harrods is carrying high end RTW brands.

__PG__

Reaction score
Is there a reason why no-one in Sydney goes to http://www.voi.com.au/ ? I dropped in while I was in visiting Sydney in October. It seems to have some good brands (Canali, Zegna, Lucianio Barbera) at reasonable prices.

Selvaggio

Reaction score
Originally Posted by __PG__
Is there a reason why no-one in Sydney goes to http://www.voi.com.au/ ?

I dropped in while I was in visiting Sydney in October. It seems to have some good brands (Canali, Zegna, Lucianio Barbera) at reasonable prices.

I go there sometimes and mentioned it here - but there was some negativity. Sure there is a bit of Euro-tat, but it can be good value when their stuff is on sale and you stick to the basics. The quality can be very good, but the styles may be a bit dated. Their Babera trousers are a good deal and I have bought some nice ties there (Ballantyne cashmere).

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by California Dreamer
If I have a "secret" it's that I think about where the shop is located and the catchment area for their donations. Brunswick is a nice area, but what sorts of clothes are its denizens going to donate? It's unlikely you'll find top iGent brands in that area; maybe more S&D. I think about things such as the wealth of people living in the area and their lifestyles. (IMO young families are far less likely to chuck out good stuff than executives and retirees). It's not all gloom; if you keep hunting you will find good stuff at the kind of prices they pay. I've found Canali (twice), Corneliani, Cantarelli and Chester Barrie suits for under $30, for example. If you get lucky at Salvos, you might even find it on one of their half-off days. I picked up a Valentino tie for fifty cents that way. Sorry to ramble; you hit upon a passion of mine.
smile.gif

A friend of mine, who is a primary school teacher lives in Mosman and he buys virtually all his clothing, Herringbone, CR(so tragic) Ted Baker, PRL at the local St Vinnies shop. The Salvos used to have a great store in Chatswood called the White Elephant I picked up a couple of David Lawrence leather jackets, cut in a sports coat style which the wife uses. And your right about the socio economics of the area contributing to what stock they have. The more affluent suburbs have better charity shops in general. Mind you every time I walk into one they have the odd Harris Tweed jacket but never in my size!

JSSM

Reaction score
Thoughts on online suppliers (inc mtm) for coats & jackets? I'd prefer not to pay aussie retail (and there's not much at this end of sales). I also don't have much luck finding a variety of quality, slim fitting clothes. I'd be looking for something like HB, but possibly a touch more snug (it's a good fit, but needs waist suppression).

jaac

Reaction score
Anyone know any good shoe guys in canberra? need some resole stuff done.

elvish

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jaac
Anyone know any good shoe guys in canberra? need some resole stuff done.

this thread is turning into a merry go round.

Tano

Reaction score
The brooks brothers sale is on now. I had everything waiting in my cart for nearly 6 months. I now realize I should have bought during the family and friends 30% sale. Some of my items are 25% off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads