• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Site Topics - Part II

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lefty
I understand it's quite popular but what does "liking" something do exactly? Or what does it do that writing "+1" doesn't? I just don't get it. lefty
I believe its supposed to foster a feeling of belonging to the group. Or, maybe it just makes you feel cool because you like the same things that everybody else does. Who the **** knows.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
"Liking" is a lot like +1'ing, but doesn't take up as much thread length and database space.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
"Liking" is a lot like +1'ing, but doesn't take up as much thread length and database space.

i can understand the comcept but will be surprised if it cuts down on the "+1's" only time will tell

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by in stitches
i can understand the comcept but will be surprised if it cuts down on the "+1's" only time will tell

+2

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lefty
I understand it's quite popular but what does "liking" something do exactly? Or what does it do that writing "+1" doesn't? I just don't get it. lefty
First of all, it's dependent on the platform. There is not exact standard for what "liking" is. Generally it is used for social aggregating. When enough people "like" something, that data can be used to highlight it as popular or more relevant to the user-base. You can have separate views for most "liked" threads or comments to see what is of interest to the forum. Taking this a step further it would even be possible to do this by your "friends" or others you have decided have similar interests with special views and searches. Bumping threads with a "+1" simply does not achieve the same results or allow the level of flexability that having a built in "like" system does. It also causes unneeded clutter and can be irritating to other forum users.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

For a guy with your daily post average, I am not sure you should be the one worrying about forum clutter.
laugh.gif

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JMRouse
For a guy with your daily post average, I am not sure you should be the one worrying about forum clutter.
laugh.gif

smile.gif

not worried in the least bit. as i stated before i wouldnt vote for the like function. i like the whole +1 thing and the variety that can be added to it. but again ill say, if the mods/test crew/majority opinion wants it done i will happily accept it.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
smile.gif

not worried in the least bit. as i stated before i wouldnt vote for the like function. i like the whole +1 thing and the variety that can be added to it. but again ill say, if the mods/test crew/majority opinion wants it done i will happily accept it.

At it's core, it serves a different function then "+1." I'm sure some of the mods and users (including me to a point), hope it cuts back on them, but it's not the same thing.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At it's core, it serves a different function then "+1." I'm sure some of the mods and users (including me to a point), hope it cuts back on them, but it's not the same thing.

that is true. and im sure it will be a nice pat on the back when people see their comments are "liked" afterall not every likeable comment is +1able. we shall she, we shall see.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
that is true. and im sure it will be a nice pat on the back when people see their comments are "liked" afterall not every likeable comment is +1able. we shall she, we shall see.
It's not about making users feel good or patting each other on the back. It's about making the more relevant and interesting content on the forum prevalent and easier for users to find. You have no experience with Digg or Reddit? Picture that, but with a customized system for use on a web forum that overtime can grow and change based on our needs and preferences. The system will allow for an added layer of aggregated data that is simply not possible now.

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh dear, my beloved StyleForum is moving inexorably to the e-peen model.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
The system will allow for an added layer of aggregated data that is simply not possible now.
What would that be?

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
What would that be?
Alright, I will try to lay this out as simple as possible. You are essentially creating social graphs based on user interests. A "like" system provides a simple, standardized, way to aggregate the user/social interests of the forum. One click is all it takes and the data can be used to sort and present preferred content to the community as a whole. There could be forum views to show most "liked" content and threads. This data would be persistant and wouldn't fade away when no one has bumped a thread in a while. It also wouldn't require user interaction in the same way making a post in a thread would. Taking this further, let's say you enjoy Vox and his posts. It would be possible for you to see all threads and posts that Vox has "liked." This can be done for large groups or single users. Simply bumping threads with "+1" provide non of these benefits and is in no way standardized for data aggregation.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's not about making users feel good or patting each other on the back. It's about making the more relevant and interesting content on the forum prevalent and easier for users to find.

You have no experience with Digg or Reddit? Picture that, but with a customized system for use on a web forum that overtime can grow and change based on our needs and preferences. The system will allow for an added layer of aggregated data that is simply not possible now.

i have no idea what digg or reddit is but im open to it. especially more aggregated data, the spreadsheet needs MOAR!!

edit - upon reading your above post it sounds very nice.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Once this is all put into motion, I think it's usefulness will become much more apparent.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads