• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are Americans the Only Ones into Bad Style?

dmash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by snowmanxl
yeah, when i was in italy, the kids/teens/young adults were all decked out in abercrombie! the women, just as the article said, loved gossip girl and blake lively. they even used english slang terms while talking to each other. .. weird.

I saw this in Rome A LOT. Not really in Milan though.

dtmt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by snowmanxl
yeah, when i was in italy, the kids/teens/young adults were all decked out in abercrombie! the women, just as the article said, loved gossip girl and blake lively. they even used english slang terms while talking to each other. .. weird. also, tommy h was expensive but different from the n.american stuff. still, i wouldnt kop
laugh.gif

Seems ironic considering (North) Americans have probably gotten somewhat closer to European style over the past decade or so. Sure, not to an extreme extent, and not outside of major cities, but it seems that we're slowly moving in that direction. Also I wonder if this is just a temporary fad, or if in a couple of decades we're going to see fat, balding Italian men trying to seem "with it" by wearing a Hollister t-shirt.

Rover!

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dtmt
I have heard the same thing about Russia as well....

Are the Levis sold in Europe of any better quality? I mean the American ones are so cheaply constructed the "leather" patch is actually cardboard.

Quality is the same in Europe including the cardboard patch, except prices are like double US retail.

Saul Silver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My school has a huge number of Japanese international students, most of whom buy and wear a lot of Hollister/Abercrombie/American Eagle, etc. A lot of them wear T-shirts made by japanese brands that say random American places and other stuff, t shirts that just say, "Arkansas", "Football", "California", etc. in plain lettering.

auggie

Reaction score
Polo sells for nearly 3 times the price it does in Switzerland compared to the U.S, the items aren't the same but the quality is. Levis sell for $150 a pair and the quality is ****. I have noticed Abercrombie and Hollister everywhere with kids under the age of 20 or so in Europe lately, then again a lot of them could be American/Canadian tourists...but most likely the influence of American brands is much greater now. Definitely more so then when I lived here 5 years ago.

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A&F I can get but... Gap, Banana Republic? Seriously, who in Europe would want to buy that ****....

Desi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They can have BR if we can get a Cos. Let it be a NY megastore I don't even mind.

PaulYAY

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rover!
Quality is the same in Europe including the cardboard patch, except prices are like double US retail.

untrue. Back when I wore Levi's, I'd order them from Europe because the quality is much better and sizing is far more standardized. Levi's has a better reputation in the EU and the company keeps production of EU products seperate from the rest to preserve that reputation (and justify the higher retail price).

dotfire

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lel
A&F I can get but... Gap, Banana Republic? Seriously, who in Europe would want to buy that ****....

Uhhh don't you mean the other way around?

gats

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Desi
They can have BR if we can get a Cos. Let it be a NY megastore I don't even mind.

Really don't understand the hype for COS, quality's ****** and most of the stuff is boring monotone basics

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lel
FYI Gap have been very successful in Europe for years(except apparently in Germany), and Banana Republic is just Gap with different branding. As for A&F, there are brand whores everywhere.

jarude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought this thread was about racial stereotypes as they relate to style.
frown.gif

hastur

Reaction score
abercrombie quality isn't bad at all. better than most **** at gap/br, giant logos aside.

slack tide

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
slightly off topic, but I saw this jacket in a thrift store the other weekend. Thick red leather with huge fur neck and lapels..
EEE.jpg

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hastur
abercrombie quality isn't bad at all. better than most **** at gap/br, giant logos aside.
The 'Abercrombie' quality in Xilinhot is actually quite awful and really cheaply made, would be lucky to last a single wash before it disintegrates with a lot of it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads