• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

JGloger

Reaction score
Originally Posted by 45elkton
I love the walnut AEs, but am concerned about paying ~$300 for shoes I can really only wear with navy or olive (not a huge khaki guy).

What do you guys think about the burgandy burnish? Seems like something you could pull off with a charcoal suit as well as the colors i mentioned above. Can anyone post a real life picture? having trouble judging the ones from AE/nordstrom websites

Or should I just sack up for the walnut and know I will have them for 3-5 years if I take good care of them?

I recently picked up a pair of Strands in walnut and they're gorgeous. I've been able to wear them with lighter grey trousers and different earth-tones (shades of brown/tan mainly) in addition to the colors you mentioned (navy, olive).

thesecondprize

Reaction score
Originally Posted by facet
I just bought a pair of the Augusta that I was able to get for half off; I really like the Walnut colour and think it's a beautiful shoe.

Wearing mine right now.

motelhound

Reaction score
I Picked up a pair of the Fairfax in Walnut at a Nordstrom Rack. Similar shoe but it is a 360 welt. I wonder how long they will keep doing the 270's?

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by motelhound
I wonder how long they will keep doing the 270's?
Provided that the demand persists it will continue a long long time to come. Welcome to Styleforum.

TACO_FLAVORED_KISSES

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sizing suggestions for Bayfield.

I'm a 8.5 in Macneils.

Unregistered

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TACO_FLAVORED_KISSES
Sizing suggestions for Bayfield.

I'm a 8.5 in Macneils.

I'd suggest you try to take a look in person. I'm a 8D in PA And 5th Aves, went with a 8D Bayfield. But the boot looks really bulgy and chunky to me, almost like a work boot. I had to return them.

45elkton

Reaction score
I am finished staring at my new AEs and going to wear them for the first time this week. Do you guys recommend scuffing up the soles a little at first or just letting them get roughed up from regular use?

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by 45elkton
I am finished staring at my new AEs and going to wear them for the first time this week. Do you guys recommend scuffing up the soles a little at first or just letting them get roughed up from regular use?

just wear them. only takes a few minute walk on concrete to get them scuffed.

if you are only going to walk on carpet, i suggest you be careful, or scuff them first.

Spaghettimatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello all. I have an odd issue. I just received a pair of brown fifth avenues in size 6.5E. I noticed that they are significantly wider than my black park ave and walnut mcallisters in the exact same size. For example, the laces close all the way on this pair and the right shoe in particular is very roomy (some heel slippage).

What could account for this? Is there any way to fix it?

MadAboutPlaid

Reaction score
Originally Posted by motelhound
I wonder how long they will keep doing the 270's?

Can someone explain the 270s to me? I understand what they are, I just dont get the point.

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have a very nice pair of vintage burgundy Boulevards (c1980s?) which have a problem. Like a modern C&J hand grade they have a full leather sole.

Unfortunately it had hardened on the edges under the instep and has curled ever so slightly making the shoes (which are otherwise my fit 10.5E) very uncomfortable/impossible to wear.

Would an AE recraft solve the problem as my cobbler says he can't replace the inner sole?

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MadAboutPlaid
Can someone explain the 270s to me? I understand what they are, I just dont get the point.

They are supposed to be sleeker. AE is one of the few companies that do 360 degree Goodyear welts. To some, this makes AE appear blobby.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics