• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

JSSM

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gassyndrome
Really like the fabric on that first one. How did you get it for $100?

Sale at Azzaro's in Melbourne.

neyus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by __PG__
Inspired by blahman I'm going to post pics of some of my suits. First up is my new Pasini. It's not the best suit I'll ever own but it makes a great basic work suit for $100.

Things I like. Soft shoulders,, 3/4 lining and the fabric (sort of a charcoal nailhead).

IMG_0065.jpg

IMG_0066.jpg

IMG_0040.jpg

IMG_0069.jpg

IMG_0070.jpg

Things I don't like. Sleeves are maybe half an inch too short . Plus the jacket pulls on my right hand side (but not my left). I'll go and see a tailor to work on this (any maybe the neck-roll

IMG_0076.jpg

Those suits look pretty good. Pasini are a great suit for the money. Trousers also have a little split v in the waist band which is a nice little touch.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh Pee Gee. I always imagined you to be a portly chap
laugh.gif
. Guess I am wrong on that. What size do you wear? I would have bought all the Pasinis available for my size. Been looking for something like that too - partly unlined, softed shoulders and single vented for a change. Are the pants a little more generous around the knee than the Sarti D'Italia ones? The Pasini seem to look slightly short on you to be honest. But oh well its 100 bucks! Just got my Sarti back from Katrina's today. They got my pants length spot on and not slightly long like they prone to do. Had to be firm that I wanted it 'short'. Might make a trip back to Azzaro to hunt for that sports jacket after this sleep.

__PG__

Reaction score
I didn't need any alterations in the trouser for the Pasini..just a hem. They have a lot of room around the thighs (and I'm a cyclist/skier/martial artist).

Yes the jacket is probably an inch too short but that's what all the cool kids are doing these days anyway so I'll live with it.

I wear a 52 R or L depending on the block. So in a Pasini I would have been better of with an 'L'.

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just went down to Azzaro's today. I found the last Pasini in my size - looks just like the nailhead grey that PG posted. Unbelievable value for $100. i also picked up a Zegna SC for $400, marked down from $1900. Quite a few Canali and Cantarelli in my size at $800 and $700.

In a room out the back they had a stack of Mastai Feretti shirts, as well as some Canali and Borrellii. The MFs were $100, Canali $190 and Borrelli $200. I had to resist them, as well as some superb overcoats, or my wife would have killed me.

sonthach54

Reaction score
I am looking for some plain wide oxfords. I have the following choices; (a) Church's Clyde (on clearance at Herrings); (b) Crockett & Jones's Bedford; (c) Allen Edmond's Park Avenue. The latter are a little cheaper, the first two about the same price. I realise they can all be characterized as boring, but so be it. Which do SFers consider to be the superior quality?

jobro

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sonthach54
I am looking for some plain wide oxfords. I have the following choices; (a) Church's Clyde (on clearance at Herrings); (b) Crockett & Jones's Bedford; (c) Allen Edmond's Park Avenue. The latter are a little cheaper, the first two about the same price. I realise they can all be characterized as boring, but so be it. Which do SFers consider to be the superior quality?

Out of the three, I'd go the C&J's, for both aesthetics and quality. The Clyde's aren't oxfords, they are derbys (open lace section).

JSSM

Reaction score
Originally Posted by California Dreamer
Just went down to Azzaro's today. I found the last Pasini in my size - looks just like the nailhead grey that PG posted. Unbelievable value for $100. i also picked up a Zegna SC for $400, marked down from $1900. Quite a few Canali and Cantarelli in my size at $800 and $700.

Meanwhile, in Sydney, there may be some Zenga jackets for just under a grand on sale.

$100 - amazing. Look good and not worry about what the adventures of life may do to it.

sonthach54

Reaction score
Sorry jobro, meant Church's Balmorals. My mistake. Still think the C & J are a better bet?

__PG__

Reaction score
In a room out the back they had a stack of Mastai Feretti shirts, as well as some Canali and Borrellii. The MFs were $100, Canali $190 and Borrelli $200. I had to resist them, as well as some superb overcoats, or my wife would have killed me.

He's also got loads of Antichi Telai shirts for about $140 which I think are the nuts guts. They are a slim darted shirt (like MF) but they have a much longer tail and front which means that unlike most slim-fitting shirts they actually stay in your trousers and don't ride up over your waist.

The lowest front button is set very low (almost below your trouser) which really helps to keep everything tucked in and looking smooth and clean.

Most of the current batch he's got have banker cuffs and collars.

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by __PG__
He's also got loads of Antichi Telai shirts for about $140 which I think are the nuts guts. They are a slim darted shirt (like MF) but they have a much longer tail and front which means that unlike most slim-fitting shirts they actually stay in your trousers and don't ride up over your waist.

The lowest front button is set very low (almost below your trouser) which really helps to keep everything tucked in and looking smooth and clean.

Most of the current batch he's got have banker cuffs and collars.

Thanks for the tip PG; I wondered about them, and will try one when I go back (slim-fit may not work for me).

BTW, while working at one of the big four and in frequent contact with the other three, I never see bankers wearing banker shirts.

tobiasj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do any Melbourne people have favourite 2nd-hand shops for bargain hunting? I've been going to the Savers in Brunswick quite a bit and I went to the Footscray one last weekend. I've done ok: some decent ties; a pair of wool pants here and there or a shirt. NOTHING LIKE the bounty that is displayed on the main thrifting thread though (seriously, if you lived in the US, why would you ever buy anything new?). I'd like to find a suit or a blazer, but so far I've seen nothing even remotely plausible in that department. The shoes are always hideous there as well.

So that's Savers. Any other suggestions?

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tobiasj
Do any Melbourne people have favourite 2nd-hand shops for bargain hunting? I've been going to the Savers in Brunswick quite a bit and I went to the Footscray one last weekend. I've done ok: some decent ties; a pair of wool pants here and there or a shirt. NOTHING LIKE the bounty that is displayed on the main thrifting thread though (seriously, if you lived in the US, why would you ever buy anything new?). I'd like to find a suit or a blazer, but so far I've seen nothing even remotely plausible in that department. The shoes are always hideous there as well.

So that's Savers. Any other suggestions?

Depends what you consider a bargain. I've found some really nice stuff at second hand shops, which I've posted on that thread. However I am prepared to pay a bit more than what those guys seem to pay for similar gear. They described some of my finds as "discount store prices", which in my view is unreasonable expectations, especially considering that our RRPs are twice theirs.

That said, I haven't found it too unusual to find SF-approved gear in op shops and markets. My list of hits includes Zegna, Kiton, Brioni, Hermes, Canali, Corneliani, Caruso, Cantarelli, Borrelli, Paul Smith, Duchamp, Charvet, Bijan, Brooks Brothers, Valentino, Crockett and Jones, Alden, Allen Edmonds and others. Also found some great vintage cufflinks over the years.

If I have a "secret" it's that I think about where the shop is located and the catchment area for their donations. Brunswick is a nice area, but what sorts of clothes are its denizens going to donate? It's unlikely you'll find top iGent brands in that area; maybe more S&D. I think about things such as the wealth of people living in the area and their lifestyles. (IMO young families are far less likely to chuck out good stuff than executives and retirees).

There is one place I know where I can reliably find suits, shirts, pants and sports coats from top brands. However they are aware of the value of what they have, and you have to be prepared to pay more than op shop prices. However if you compare them to eBay, and consider that you get to try the piece on before buying, they come out well ahead. My best find there was a Brioni suit for $80. Elsewhere I found a pure cashmere Hermes jacket for $50. I'm very happy to pay those prices, the bargain hounds on the thrifting thread consider that too much.

It's not all gloom; if you keep hunting you will find good stuff at the kind of prices they pay. I've found Canali (twice), Corneliani, Cantarelli and Chester Barrie suits for under $30, for example. If you get lucky at Salvos, you might even find it on one of their half-off days. I picked up a Valentino tie for fifty cents that way.

Sorry to ramble; you hit upon a passion of mine.
smile.gif

tone76

Reaction score
If I have a "secret" it's that I think about where the shop is located and the catchment area for their donations.
This has been true in my experience as well. Sometimes it's the smaller local charity shops in affluent areas, or near certain precincts, that yield the best hauls. Last week, I scored a Zegna tie for $1 from an op shop near Adelaide's legal precinct. From the same op shop, I also scored a couple of other nice pure silk French ties ('Axe Mod') for $1 each - what grabbed my attention is just how much they resembled Hermes ties. They also had a decent range of shirts (TML, CT), none of which were in my size ... but the Zara I picked up for $7 fits nicely. Adelaide lawyers know how to dress and obviously don't mind purging their wardrobes now and then.
biggrin.gif
The Salvos can be hit and miss, although I think the larger ones in better areas are worth a punt. I almost bought a Zegna sports coat from a local Salvos for $19, but then I realised it wasn't going to fit.
baldy[1].gif
In hindsight, I wish I'd bought it just to flip.
teacha.gif
Once you know what to look for, there's more out there in Op Shop land than you think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics