• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is the Worst Town in California?

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LawrenceMD
before moving to a nice part of the OC my parents owned and ran nursing homes in Riverside. We lived in the Woodcrest Hills area and it was really nice (all the houses were unique and big and had pools almost gated community like),
for all the diversity you see in southern california, most of the races actually kept to themselves in insular communities, especially the asians and jews. even socioeconomically there isn't that much of a mix, its mostly homogeneous communities where whole towns are well off or poor, of a certain racial demographic, and weren't really friendly/neighborly. this is how my 8-10yo eyes saw it in the late 80's.

does it occur to you that maybe your impressions are based on where you lived? my neighborhood is incredibly diverse ... probably 5-6 nationalities and/or races within a half block in either direction. of course, we don't have gates.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I lived in California for about 2/3s of my life and have returned for at least one month a year in every year that I have not. I have never, ever, heard a single actual person use the phrase "the OC" IRL. Not before the TV show and not after.

Similarly, only people from somewhere else say "Cali." Term did not exist among natives in the '70s, '80s and '90s.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
I lived in California for about 2/3s of my life and have returned for at least one month a year in every year that I have not. I have never, ever, heard a single actual person use the phrase "the OC" IRL. Not before the TV show and not after.

this is true. on all my maps, it just says "here be monsters".

Rivey

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jpeirpont
Didn't a lot of Okies, Texas and Arkansas folks settle there?

That's actually Bakersfield, which by the way, isn't that bad. Modesto, Stockton, Vallejo and Oakland are the worst up North. Hemet, El Centro, Pomona and the whole of San Bernardino County down South. Personally, I think Hemet is the worse of the whole bunch.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Has anybody mentioned San Francisco?
I'm just shocked there are worse places. So much for exploring the neighbouring towns. lefty

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton

Similarly, only people from somewhere else say "Cali." Term did not exist among natives in the '70s, '80s and '90s.

As an OC native, I can confirm that the locals didn't use the definite article.

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fontana, Bloomington, Colton, Blythe, Calexico are much worse than Hemet. Not that that's saying much.

Bakersfield stinks, from the oil. I get a headache just getting near that place.
It did inspire this song, though, to its credit:
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
Is every Bakersfield resident required to have a tattoo and goatee?

retronotmetro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Baron
As an OC native, I can confirm that the locals didn't use the definite article.

I grew up north of the orange curtain, but I never heard that phrase before the show. Now I hear it fairly often--it's been spread around enough that TV weather and traffic people use it. Makes for a nice parallel when you talk about THE sigalert on THE 405 in THE oc.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by StephenHero
Is every Bakersfield resident required to have a tattoo and goatee?

only the women.

bringusingoodale

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What about San Diego.

devil.gif

But, really I think the posts covering Kern county and Riverside county identify the worst. It's kind of hard for me to give any interior county any chance, no matter the metrics used as in quality of life, restuarants, home value blah blah:

If you aren't near the coast, you're toast
teacha.gif

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

bringusingoodale

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by XeF4
Worst city? Los Angeles.

Meh. I like it. I am young, have no children, don't care about pollution and I have some beach bum friends. So it's good.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Maybe I've just traveled around CA more than most but I can't take a lot of these answers seriously. I'm not a fan of Glendale but to put it up with a town in IE? c'mon. Heaven (Los Feliz) is just a five minute drive.

Modesto was the first place I thought of when I saw the thread title. It's hopeless. There is no escape. And I can say that having lived in Lake Arrowhead and being intimately familiar with the IE ( for better or worse.) Fontana, Etiwanda, etc are pretty bad but there's a glimmer of escape.

It's funny that Baron mentioned Adelanto. My father grew up there and would probably emphatically agree. Also, no one has mentioned East San Diego yet and Alpine deserves a mention.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads