• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's the appeal of the wings/horns x dayton service boots

Dbear

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think there is any bait and switch going on. There is just very limited information on their service boot (which isn't even on their website, that I could find).

People that bought it understood that it was the non-distressed version of the W+H collab. However, its easy to get it mixed up because the only information online you can find is of the collab version.

Insert 100s of questions about sizing, last, sole, distressing, sizing, color, sizing, chances are some people are going to be getting something different than what was pictured in their mind.

blazingazn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by slack tide
Not trolling, not trying to be a dick...I know people could be pissed right now.
frown.gif

But when this sale occurred, and the discussions in this thread -- and most importantly, the information being fed from Dayton -- were these positioned as very, very similar boots to the wings x dayton collab? And basically you would be getting some wings service boots (sans the stamp) for pretty damn cheap - was that the expectation? And then a possible (intended, or unintended) bait and switch on the model of boot?

The position of Dayton as I was informed when I went to the store and it was confirmed by the CEO:

These are the very same boots on the same last that were made by Dayton for use by Wings + Horns.

The only differences being:
1) W+H did their own distressing on the boots
2) Different leather may or may not have been used on the W+H Collab, only the options for leather provided are what was currently available (Nubuck, Oiled Brown, Distressed Brown, Oiled Black)
3) W+H Collab had a stamp of their own branding on the middle bottom sole, the Service Boots direct from Dayton would not have any such stamps, branding or markings.

Dayton was totally honest about this and everyone who called in and ordered would have been informed of this basic info.

slack tide

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dbear
I don't think there is any bait and switch going on. There is just very limited information on their service boot (which isn't even on their website, that I could find).

People that bought it understood that it was the non-distressed version of the W+H collab. However, its easy to get it mixed up because the only information online you can find is of the collab version.

Insert 100s of questions about sizing, last, sole, distressing, sizing, color, sizing, chances are some people are going to be getting something different than what was pictured in their mind.

Originally Posted by blazingazn
The position of Dayton as I was informed when I went to the store and it was confirmed by the CEO:

These are the very same boots on the same last that were made by Dayton for use by Wings + Horns.

The only differences being:
1) W+H did their own distressing on the boots
2) Different leather may or may not have been used on the W+H Collab, only the options for leather provided are what was currently available (Nubuck, Oiled Brown, Distressed Brown, Oiled Black)
3) W+H Collab had a stamp of their own branding on the middle bottom sole, the Service Boots direct from Dayton would not have any such stamps, branding or markings.

Dayton was totally honest about this and everyone who called in and ordered would have been informed of this basic info.

Cool - thanks for the thorough replies, you'all -- I appreciate it.

blazingazn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gettoasty
as i suspected another hyped up work boot.

you're not wrong.

blazingazn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by slack tide
Cool - thanks for the thorough replies, you'all -- I appreciate it.

so does that mean your down for a pair
wink.gif

slack tide

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blazingazn
so does that mean your down for a pair
wink.gif

frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
man...i hope for the sake of everyone (who ordered) that some come in with the sleeker silhouette and toe box...and it was a leather option that you may (or may not have) chosen that gave you the dayton/wings service boot which I'm sure most were after...(this is doubtful, I know, but to remain optimistic..) my only lingering question..
though, disclaimer, I don't have the Wings service boots. But, the boots that Stick described do not (based on photos I've seen) match to the exact boots ("very same boots and last") as the w+h service boot. Maybe it was the distressing that w+h did......and all of the work they put in on them. If so, that would put some of the "lol @ paying 700 bucks for a pair of boots tied up and soaked in a bucket of water for a few weeks" criticisms to rest in my opinion... good luck to everyone who ordered. hope you receive soon. Whoever twines theirs up and does the dunk first....pics!
devil.gif

Dbear

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^
Jesus fing christ, now THAT is the boot I've been waiting to see. Something that would go perfect w/ a black leather jacket...

Deets?

blazingazn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^
thats what it looks like to me

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yah, grey nubuck. It's a lot lighter than expected, looks pretty good though and it fits nicely. I got a 7EE. I'll try and post better pics later.

5tan

Reaction score
Sweet photo RFX, can't wait for my pair....

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads