• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Who am I kidding?

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I mean, really. Yesterday, I wore a Brooks Brothers shirt and tie, nice Italian odd slacks which had been pretty heavily altered for a better fit and a pair of brown Allen Edmonds Park Avenues to work (retail store manager). There was no one to take out the trash so the task fell to me and of course, one of the bags had sprung a leak and unbeknownst to me, deposited some form of liquid stain on everything I was wearing. Shirt, tie, pants and shoes. I immediately went to the restroom and attempted to soak the soiled parts of the shirt but failed abjectly. The tie? Toast. The jury is out on the pants until I get them to the dry cleaner and the spotted shoe might just survive to be worn another day. I was forced to walk through the store in my white tee shirt since the dress shirt was now thoroughly soaked. I reached the office and upon entering, discovered that my boss had arrived for a visit and was occupying a chair, regarding my attire with mild amusement/amazement. I was forced to put on the company issued manager shirt, which is a solid black cotton tee with the company logo emblazoned across the chest. No lie. conservative business dress, for me used to consist of a pair of khaki pants and a BD denim chambray LS shirt with the company logo above the breast pocket. That degenerated into a series of polyester 3 button placket polos in various colors and has now bottomed out with this ridiculous black tee shirt. We are, of course, allowed to wear a dress shirt with or without a tie. So why am I here on styleforum? The original cost of ANY one item I was wearing (admittedly thrifted but more on that below) would have paid for my boss' entire outfit. I don't meet important clients who wear suits. I'm not going into court to try a case. I might meet the owner/CEO once a year. The addition of a necktie probably makes me one of the top ten best dressed in the company. What's the point of going to a job every day in clothes where there is a good likelihood that they will be ruined in an instant? In actual dollars/probable retail, the ruined clothing cost was as follows: Tie: $2 / $65 to $75 Shirt: $5 / $65 to $95 Pants: $6 + $15 alterations / $100? Shoes: $10 / $200 at Nordstrom rack or $300ish full retail So in reality, I've lost just over twenty bucks and probably less depending on final cleanup but that doesn't matter. The time spent finding these items counts for something and there's an intrinsic value to me. Dammit. I was wearing nearly $400 to $600 worth of clothing (not including the BB SC that I was not wearing at the time). I ask again. Why?
crybaby.jpg

mdao63

Reaction score
To maintain whatever shred of dignity one has left.

csoukoulis

Reaction score
sounds like you need to buy a certain someones sportcoat theyre holding for you
biggrin.gif

gladhands

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I dress nicer than my co-workers in terms of quality and formality. Mine is a business casual environment where ties sportcoats are extremely uncommon, but I wear both quite regularly. I do so, because I enjoy it. I wouldn't go so far aw rearing a suit, because frankly that would be inappropriate, but I do care about looking my best.

It sounds to me like your clothes were inapropriate. My advice for you, is to dress down and concentrate on fit.

Valor

Reaction score
You're a manager and you can't get one of the peons to take out the trash?

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Valor
You're a manager and you can't get one of the peons to take out the trash?

Exactly...

facepalm.gif

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sometimes you just have to roll with it. Make a big stink to whoever was supposed to take out the trash, no pun intended and dress nicely tomorrow.

Booter

Reaction score
I hear you. Tough break. But, roll with it. Certainly the last thing you want is to give up because of a spot of bad luck. Vent your frustrations here, salvage what items you can, and get back at it.

M. Bardamu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Man, that's unfortunate. I applaud you for attempting to bring some professionalism and aesthetics to the workplace through your choice of clothing, as well as being the kind of manager who recognizes what needs to be done and does it (instead of procrastinating until there's a minion available), but perhaps your wardrobe is best employed elsewhere (dinner dates, nights at the opera/ballet/whatever) for now.

hmmurdock

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gladhands
You can tell which posters never had to work in restaurants or retail in thier youth. Must be nice.
+1

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads