• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tour of Rubinacci workshop / Cappelli atelier -- June 2011

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Y
Do you know what kind of cutting system R. uses? If it's block manipulation, it seems like there's a very wide fuzzy line between MTM and custom, perhaps analogous to the better MTM shirtmakers.
No idea. To my mind, however, any meaningful difference between "MTM" and "bespoke" doesn't hinge on whether a block pattern is manipulated, but rather the degree to which manipulation is possible, and how artfully. When you order Oxxford or Kiton MTM, there is a stock pattern that can be tweaked in numerous dimensions, but there is nonetheless a limit--even if theoretical. Also, MTM changes tend to be executed piecemeal (adjust x, adjust y, adjust z, etc.), without a tailor considering the whole of the garment and making multiple adjustments at once to control the overall result. When I was measured for my Oxxford things, the process appeared very methodical and systematic with many little measurements here and there. With Rubinacci, there were only a handful of measurements--like four or five--and the rest was eyeballed. As a novice, the former was more comforting, but now the latter is.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Damn.

Originally Posted by mafoofan
No idea. To my mind, however, any meaningful difference between "MTM" and "bespoke" doesn't hinge on whether a block pattern is manipulated, but rather the degree to which manipulation is possible, and how artfully.

Sorry. I didn't mean to imply that R. is not custom or that it's similar to simple, department store MTM. I should have said that with block manipulation, the difference between MTM and custom becomes fuzzy, and it's probably not useful trying to classify something as one or the other. The results can be as custom (and good) as one wishes, even if it's not as sexy as saying one freehands the pattern right onto paper or cloth.

I was thinking of how Carl from CEGO rails against people who try to draw a line between the two for shirtmakers.

--Andre

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Y
Sorry. I didn't mean to imply that R. is not custom or that it's similar to simple, department store MTM. I should have said that with block manipulation, the difference between MTM and custom becomes fuzzy, and it's probably not useful trying to classify something as one or the other. The results can be as custom (and good) as one wishes, even if it's not as sexy as saying one freehands the pattern right onto paper or cloth.

I was thinking of how Carl from CEGO rails against people who try to draw a line between the two for shirtmakers.

Oh, I wasn't offended. I was just giving my thoughts on the issue, which has come up many times on the forum. I truly have no idea what cutting system Rubinacci does or doesn't use. Maybe I'll ask them some time.

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. Moo
Is Mariano able to accomodate a 54/64 suit size?

You'd have to look hard on eBay.

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by forex
You'd have to look hard on eBay.

teacha.gif
pretty well played.

manicturncoat

Reaction score
Originally Posted by marcodalondra
Even Bulgari gave me a discount in Naples without asking for it.... It is very common to ask for discount on retail prices everywhere but for the multinational.

In Italy, if you want a discount, just ask the merchant what price he could give you if you paid cash.

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by manicturncoat
In Italy, if you want a discount, just ask the merchant what price he could give you if you paid cash.

Works like this pretty much everywhere except with "proper" American businesses.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by manicturncoat

A lot of smaller shops only take cash to begin with. I think you can be pretty blunt about negotiating. It's expected.

ThinkDerm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Mina caters specifically to foreigners, so the thinking doesn't apply to her. As far as other tailors in Naples: well, come on, everything in southern Italy is negotiable. I would not assume the price you get on paper is what local clients are paying. I've received numerous offers from various people over the years to introduce me to their tailors in Naples in order to get a better price.

Originally Posted by Eustace Tilley
Interesting.

Originally Posted by banis
When arranging trip to Naples and contacting different tailors I was told at several places that price is a personal issue and should better be discussed during the meeting. Depending on different reasons, quoted price may be negotiable. In my particular case I got a good deal and received quite a good discount from the initial price.

BTW, what did Formosa and Pirozzi tell you about their prices?

this is something that always makes me uncomfortable about having items tailored - the making up of pricing on the spot that is prevalent. especially since most of the time it does not seem to work in my favor...

Guero

Reaction score
Matt, if I may call you Matt, I just read your review of the Cappelli and Rubinacci ties on your blog. Coincidentally, I purchased ties at both shops last week as well. Your review of the differences in the two was on point. I think you perfectly characterized the shopping experience as well as the differences in construction and feel. Nice job.

And I couldn't find Cappelli either, but it gave me the opportunity to stumble into Formosa, across the courtyard from Cappelli, and check out some of their wares.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads