• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Most common style mistakes

Saturdays

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Van Veen
  • Wearing anything other than a black bow tie with black tie.

I'm confused by this....you mean Wearing anything other than a black bow tie with a black tux...right?

Minarchist

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Saturdays
I'm confused by this....you mean Wearing anything other than a black bow tie with a black tux...right?
I think he means with "Black Tie" style of dress.

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Saturdays

When I said "black tie" I meant "the black tie dress code". Kind of confusing, huh.

As you might be able to tell I work in a profession where I wear a lot of formal wear, and most men are either clueless or don't give a crap. (People are completely awed that I can tie a bow tie. I always tell them it's not hard, I can do it in 30 seconds without a mirror, and it only takes about 10 minutes to learn.) It's sad because, paraphrasing Jim Carroll, "the real thing is not only to do what you're doing totally great, but to look totally great while you're doing it."

I don't have very much money, have very cheap formal wear (looking forward to upgrading when I have the cash flow!) but I still look better than most because I actually make an effort. This leads be to what I believe is, by far, the #1 most common style mistake: Wearing clothes that don't fit correctly.

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blahman
^^^ i suppose they held there wedding back in their ancestral village?
Yes it was, rather remote as well. BTW the bride's father is a multi-millionaire, owns a castor factory in Guangzhou.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pvrhye
Khaki only recently made a return to the Navy. They've been in navy blue a while. The saber reference is to the Marines, which are technically Navy. Mind you, the army wears it too - http://www.army.mil/asu/ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uniform...s_Marine_Corps http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uniform...ed_States_Navy
We all know they wear it, just the Air Force makes it look good
wink.gif

Augustus Davies

Reaction score
j said,

Pants are supposed to come to your waist, which is a bit below your navel. Does it make you feel better about yourself to buy the ones with a smaller number inside and then hang your gut over the top? Pants also are supposed to hang to the bottom of your shoe, more or less. No sock showing, no extra piles of fabric. It's really very simple.

The waist on most people is above navel. And waist IS above the hip bone..What you are describing is wearing pants on your hips.

Dress pants: On the waist, which is above the hip bone.

Khakis: Slightly below the hip bone.

Jeans: Lower than the khakis, to the crack of your ass or above your pubic bone depending on your build.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MikeDT
Yes it was, rather remote as well.

BTW the bride's father is a multi-millionaire, owns a castor factory in Guangzhou.

It's quite an experience isn't it? Everyone in the village are related and heaps of them share the same surname and very close knit and what not. Did your friend have a more upmarket ceremony in the city as well?

A number of my cousins did this. Big reception at a nice place in the city, then a more properly traditional ceremony back in the ancestral village.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MikeDT
Yes it was, rather remote as well.

BTW the bride's father is a multi-millionaire, owns a castor factory in Guangzhou.

Really?

LeviMay

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JJGooden
Dark shirt, dark jacket, and light tie. Reminds me of Regis Philbin on Who Wants to be a Millionaire.

This, exactly! I call it the "High School Grad look", and it is ubiquitous! I have been to more than a few events at which I was literally the only one wearing a white shirt.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads