• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sport shirts are now "restaurant shirts" according to NYT

Hornswaggler

Reaction score
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/16/fa...ummer.html?hpw

From the article:

"...Sales of such shirts have had such an uptick that Eric Jennings, the men's fashion director of Saks Fifth Avenue, found himself needing a way to describe them. Some 80 years ago, such garments were called sport shirts. Today that term is most likely to apply to polo shirts. As Mr. Jennings and this writer have found, the shirts are not easy to classify."

ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif

Also, here's an example of an RLPL "restaurant shirt":

Screenshot2011-06-16at43151PM.png

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I always used the term sport shirt to describe a shirt with a button down collar.

texas_jack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
I always used the term sport shirt to describe a shirt with a button down collar.

Those are always sport shirts in my world as they should not be worn with a suit. Basically any shirt that isn't a formal shirt or conservative dress shirt is a sport shirt.

Mr.P

Reaction score
"The outsize plaids at Thom Browne are nigh on perfect, so get them while you can. With the economy still sputtering, they may be the only huge checks you’ll see this year."

MadAboutPlaid

Reaction score
Maybe I'm just old, but I can't stand to see a grown man walking around with his shirt untucked (unless it's a polo or t-shirt)

Hornswaggler

Reaction score
Originally Posted by texas_jack
Those are always sport shirts in my world as they should not be worn with a suit. Basically any shirt that isn't a formal shirt or conservative dress shirt is a sport shirt.
I hadn't heard of that; my noob-ness is showing. (I don't think I've actually done it, though; I only had a lavender OCBD in my pre-SF days and have just gotten around to supplementing with more classic colored oxfords.)

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
"Sport shirts" have been restaurant shirts for years in Houston, Tx. ( with rare exceptions like Tony's restaurant ).

AAMOF, when I visit my Mom in Broward County, Fl. ( Ft. Lauderdale area ), it is extremely casual.

At The Breakers in Palm Beach, I can wear a sport shirt. This is in the daytime ( my Mom is in her 90s and I try to take her once a year ). But in general, Texas and Florida restaurants are much more casual than NYC restaurants.

In Houston, even at the River Oaks Country Club and The Houston Country Club ( 2 very nice places for Houston ) casual wear is readily accepted. Very different than the North.

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I dislike Robert Graham and the imitation robert Graham shirts.
I call them A**hole shirts
they scream look at my cool shirt, because I am boring and my wife bought this at Saks so
I could attempt to look stylish .

I have always liked somewhat obnoxious plaids and stripes . but then adding stupid trim, and square buttons and odd colored buttonholes.. should I go on.
will I make them? Sure. I want the business....
but I know that you and your dining partners will be bored of this shirt after the third night out.

bringusingoodale

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you use the technical terminology for clothes outside of SF most people won't know what you are talking about and or call you pretentious.

Person who stumbled onto SF and became addicted (me): "He's next to the man wearing the lounge suit with hacking pockets"

Friend: Waa? Dude you are ****.

southbound35

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Shirtmaven
they scream look at my cool shirt, because I am boring and my wife bought this at Saks so

I have always liked somewhat obnoxious plaids and stripes . but then adding stupid trim, and square buttons and odd colored buttonholes.. should I go on.
will I make them? Sure. I want the business....
but I know that you and your dining partners will be bored of this shirt after the third night out.

Couldn't agree more.

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Shirtmaven

Wait, who's the asshole, here?
laugh.gif

zarathustra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads